PDA

View Full Version : Canopy

Elaina and George
08-14-2005, 08:09 AM
We are hopefully trading in our tt for a tm this week. I noticed the canopy is quite different than our tt. crank out.

My question is how stable is the canopy in wind, (especially attached to the exterior wall brackets) can it be tilted for rain.

It looks pretty convenient as far as the crank out system - all info is appreciated - thanks :new_newbi

Elaina and George
08-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks, I figured it wouldn't be too sturdy in winds. How far out does it extend - the dealer only extended it out 4 foot - just to give up a peek at how it worked.

Factor
08-14-2005, 10:13 AM
I was told that if you think it's too windy - it is.
John

BobRederick
08-14-2005, 05:43 PM
E&G,

(I write to you again!) It is great to see your interest in the TM and I hope you get your questions answered to perfect satisfaction. I have the largest awning on a 3326 and it extends the full length of the front shell. That larger awning is another reason I selected the 3326, now that I recall. I love to sit out there or work under that awning in the boondocks. And indeed, it is frail in the wind. I have taken to staking it down with two spike-nails and so far it has had no problems at all. I simply set it up as normal with the supports to the TM wall. Then I run a small rope down and stake it to the ground off one corner. Then the rope goes along the outer edge of the awning to the other end where I run it down to another stake. There are probably better ways to do this, but this simple staking has worked perfectly so far. I run with some folk in Weekend Warriors who have larger awnings. Theirs withstands more wind untethered, but mine withstands wind better than theirs when tethered as described.

And yes, you can have them at different heights. Loosen the knob on the extension arm and extend it slightly to raise one side. This allows water to run off better. And speaking of water, I have had no problems with heavy puddles forming on this awning.

I can't tell you how far it extends, but it is a good sized awning. Maybe 10 feet? One thing it lacks is a curtain hanging down to give a little more shade when the sun goes down. But at the same time, the view is therefore better.

Bob

Elaina and George
08-14-2005, 06:14 PM
thanks Bob, so from what I gather it is better to stake and tether to the ground. We do love to sit outside when camping and have use our awning extensively - sometimes just for fun to string lights at night time :o

Freedom
08-15-2005, 09:17 AM
I just went out and measured the awning on our 2000 2619. It is 10'11" long and extends out 7'4". It can be angled for water flow and we have never had any puddling problems even when camped on the Washington coast - rain forest! Actually it doesn't need as much of an angle as our old TT awning since it has the center support.

Elaina and George
08-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks Jim,

That gives us a good idea of the size. :D

Simon3xUD
08-15-2005, 11:37 AM
I simply set it up as normal with the supports to the TM wall.

Bob, when you have your awning set up as described, are you able to open/close the upper half of your TM's door? I have found that we can only use our "top" door when the awning feet are on the ground and lengthened such that the canopy fabric is almost parallel to the ground. Any lower than that and the door is blocked by the awning "rafter".

live2shopnc
08-15-2005, 01:23 PM
I have always attached mine to the side of the TM and can open the door fine. You do have to extend it pretty far out and adjust the arm pretty high. I then lower the other end so water will drain.

BobRederick
08-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Sally

I have never had a problem with the door hitting the canvas. In addition, my door has a wheel on it to keep from cutting the canvas with the door corner. I am talking about the awning support rods going to the TM wall. I can have it drooped down for wind/rain and still no problem.

I don't think I have tried putting the support poles to the ground, but I don't picture what would interfere. You say the canvas is parallel with the ground -- I assume in a plane parallel with the ground. That would be higher than if you used the supports into the wall. You need some slope to get rain to run off. If you can open the upper door, you must be hitting something with the lower door. That would be the pole??? I am sure my pole is well outside the arc of the door, both to the rear and out to the side.

Bob

Queeniereads
08-16-2005, 05:21 AM
We left our TM in the sun in Cleveland and came back 3 hours later after a thunder and wind storm had gone by. We just rreplaced our very pricey canopy. I will never leave the camper with the canopy UP again. But, on a positive note -- we love the ease with which it sets up!!!! Queenireads aka Judi