PDA

View Full Version : TM Safety Chains

DancinCampers
08-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Good day all,

I'm curious about the safety chains on our unit.  The chain is one length, with only the center link bolted to the TM.  It is attached by one of the bolts which are installed to hold the tongue jack in place.

Is this normal for TM's?  I'm thinking about replacing it with heavier chains bolted to the tongue frame.

We are new (older) TM owners & appreciate the help.

Dan

08-20-2002, 02:08 PM
Your trailer is older than ours, but I am guessing our chain was attached the same way.  We bought the trailer out of state, and in order to get it registered it had to be inspected by the State Patrol.  Our State Patrol would not certify it until we had the chains re-done.  We took it to a hitch place and they welded chains to each side of the tongue.

arknoah
08-23-2002, 12:46 AM
Interesting.  I had forgotten that a friend of mine had made a similar comment about my chains last year, because they were attached in only one location.  Perhaps its time to get mine checked out by a hitch place and fixed up for safety.  Thanks for this thread!

DancinCampers
08-26-2002, 12:10 AM
Appreciate the info.  I'm going to replace mine prior to our camping trip this coming weekend.  I'm also going to upgrade to a heavier link chain, the size on there now just doesn't inspire my confidence.

Dan