PDA

View Full Version : I'm stumped!!

Civil_War_Buff
09-03-2002, 08:18 AM
With our maiden voyage behind us, I was facing quite a dilemma while closing the "General" up for travel....we were parked under monterey pine trees and they dropped needles and mini pine cones all weekend, and I was wondering, HOW do you clean these off of the roof before closing???? I tried getting a broom up there, but I couldn't reach (I'm only 5'8"), and I am sure that someone here has found a foolproof way of cleaning it off for travel. As it stands right now, there are a lot of pine needles "sandwiched" between the roof sections.

Thanks.

tipper
09-03-2002, 09:42 AM

We have a squeegee on a 6' pole.  When the rear shell is lowered one person stands on the frame through the opening of the front shell and pushes the material back as far as he/she is able.  The squeegee is then passed back to another [the taller] person who stands along side the lowered shell and continues to push and pull everything back over the rear end.

My wife does the front end work.  I do the alongside work.  You might need some height to do this alongside work -- it works for me [6'].

hal
09-03-2002, 11:16 AM
Tipper, hey a great idea.  I think we all try to look the other way when we close leaves, etc into our TriailManor.  You have given me a possible answer to this problem.  I would like to add to it.  As I view your method, you have a long handled (collapseable for storage) brush which you push while standing on the tongue and with the front roof section raised.  How about these ideas:  1- don't unclip the back end of the rear section but do unclip the hold down clips at the front of the rear roof section.  This will cause the roof to slope toward the rear.  Then: 2- attach a long rope to the brush and feed it  under the front roof and over the back end.  In this way, two people can work together (like using a huge buck saw). The person on the handle end can push the brush while the person at the end pulls the rope.  Then the handle end of the broom is pulled forward, repositioned and pushed while the rope is again pulled.   See how easy it is to get enthused about a solution to a problem.  Being the long handle is collapseable, it the brush and the rope could be stored in the rear section near the bumper.  Just a thought,

Hal

oilspot
09-03-2002, 12:40 PM
I use an old snow brush (for truck windshields) that has a long handle.  Not much use for it in Nashville.
I can reach about 3/4 of the roof whith just this brush.  I cheat by reaching through the top half door opening, on the curb side.  On the street side I just stand on my tippy toes (5'8" build) and get most of it.

My trailer is older, so I have a line on the roof showing about how much I need to sweep.

I can ge most of the big pine needles and leaves, but there are still some small things that stay there....

arknoah
09-05-2002, 02:27 AM
The long brush works quite well.  Depending upon how messy the stuff may be (like berries, versus pine needles) I use the same brush I may wash the unit with, and am in the habit of brushing the roof whenever I close it.   Also, I may climb up on the rear half of the roof to clean off the seal from the inside of the front half, since it is usually as messy as the roof.