PDA

View Full Version : Toilet question

Glenn in TN
06-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I am trying to get our TM ready to go to Shenandoah NP next week. It seems like more is breaking than I can keep up with.

The last time we were out, my wife noticed that the toilet leaked as she sat up on the front to "finish" the job (sorry for the graphic detail). I have now noticed that since I had the toilet off (for another leak problem), that the dump handle might not be closing all the way. I thought in the past that the handle would push all the way flush with the bottom of the toilet. Now it seems to only go to about 1/2" from there. Am I correct now, or does it need to close more?

B_and_D
06-22-2005, 10:06 PM
I just went out and looked at ours, plus measured it (we also have a 97 model) and ours closes to about 1/2" from the outermost part of the toilet (i.e., the back part of the handle has a space of about 1/2" from the front of the toilet). It's weird because I kind of remember it closing further than it did at first, but we have no leaks and have never worked on it. But I'm not sure, either!

Glenn in TN
06-23-2005, 07:29 PM
The main reason I am asking is the last time I pulled to dump, it didn't make the swooshing sound I remember it making. I'm thinking that some of the liquid is seeping into the drain pipe. I guess as long as it doesn't leak out on the ground (and stink up the campground), I'll live with it.

B_and_D
06-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Sounds like you'll still be OK for this weekend, at least. I kind of thought that you might have leakage around the base of the toilet. It is weird that you don't have the "swooshing" sound when you pull the valve, and it does sound like maybe you have something obstructing the valve closing.

If you're going somewhere with sewer hookups, you might leave the toilet valve open, and the lower valve closed (and the cap on), and put a bit of water into the toilet before you leave, maybe a gallon or 2? Another member of the board told me that they put dishwashing detergent into the toilet, and that way, when they drive, it kind of cleans out the system what with all the swooshing back and forth around curves, up and down hills, starting & stopping, etc. There might be some solids stuck in there? This might help dislodge the possible obstruction, if there is one. Then, when you get to the campground, you could hook up the sewer hose and let everything out. If this doesn't work, then you might have to pull the toilet up again...we just did that with our toilet at home last year, it's a pain, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

fcatwo
06-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Getting a paper build up large enough to hinder the complete closing of flushing valves is a fairly common problem with RV toilets. It can often be prevented, or at least delayed, by pouring a bucket of water down the hatch after flushing to clear any residual paper before closing the valve. There are also a variety of "wands" that fit on the end of a hose and can be stuck down the toilet to do an even better job of clearing the residue. Once the buildup is large enough to prevent the valve from sealing there is little that can be done other than accessing the valve and cleaning the paper out. I haven't looked but there must be an info base for "toilet-training" already established on this forum and accessible by a search.

Bill
06-24-2005, 08:18 PM
A couple observations, for what they are worth.

1. In both my '02 and my '06, the handle does NOT close flush with the base. About 1/2" gap is what I see.

2. In my old '02, pulling the handle ALWAYS gave that deep WHOOMP sound. In my new '06, I get the sound only about half the time, but it always drains. I have no idea why the difference, but I know I was in a panic the first time I pulled the handle and heard nothing.

3. Neither one has ever leaked.

4. Before I drain the toilet, I always fill it with fresh water, then run the pump (push the button) for at least a full minute. This gives the macerator pump a chance to do its thing. The full tank also gives a stronger WHOOSH when you pull the outside slide valve.

5. I always use the thin wimpy TP that looks like it would come dissolve instantly if it ever touched water. It does. I hate it, but it works. You don't have to buy the expensive "septic-safe" paper - several of the chain-store brands will do it.

6. If you have some collected matter in the toilet's slide valve, try this. Open the toilet's slide valve, put a couple tablespoons of liquid laundry soap in the toilet, fill it halfway with warm water, hitch up the TM and go drive on a rolling back road for an hour. The sloshing action should have dissolved and removed any sludge.

Good luck.

Bill