PDA

View Full Version : Computer and Wireless Installation

tritterbrew
06-17-2005, 07:33 AM
Hi,
I'm getting ready to install my computer/wireless setup in my 2720SL. I've been laying out plans for a while and and I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations on the placement of the following:

802.11G/B Wireless Access Point/Router
19" LCD Monitor (for computer, TV, Video and Music Control)
Homemade PC - about the size and look of a stereo component

The other component that I have is the satellite modem/router. I'm going to install this under the couch (assuming I can get power (and filter) from the line that's leading to the furnace). I'm installing coax connectors for the satellite terminal on the outside of the TM, inside the cutout that slides over the propane. I may have to install a small fan to exhaust heat depending on how hot things get under the couch (Want to keep the heat on top of the couch :D).

My wife and I also have laptops that we use for Internet and other work via wireless. I'd like to mount the access point as high as possible. I'm thinking that mounting it under the cabinet that goes across the top of the front shell might be a good spot. I'd still need to get power and Ethernet cable (from under the couch) to it and make sure it doesn't interfere with closing the TM. The easiest thing to do will be to keep it under the couch and sit it on the flap behind the couch whenever we land.

How much weight can the TV shelf handle? I've been thinking that it might be an option to mount on the wall next to the fridge. The combined weight of the monitor and PC is about 25 lbs. Any other thoughts. We've taken the big chair out of the TM to make more room for the dog so I there is nothing in front of either side wall between the couch and the fridge and the couch and the front door. Obviously, whatever I do needs to be removable for slide-in clearance.

Thanks,
Ted

Bl95070
06-17-2005, 12:45 PM
It does not matter how high you mount the access point. It is more critical to be in a open area unobstructed by metal objects for best reception.

Why would you need to install a access point? If you go to a place that has internet access, it should already be a wifi hot spot. You should not even need a access point of your own.

tritterbrew
06-17-2005, 01:52 PM
If I do go to a place that has Internet access then I don't need the AP. However, we normally camp at State Parks and other remote areas where they rarely have Internet access. I travel with Internet via satellite and I use the AP so that my wife and I can be wireless at the campsite.

You're right about the metal objects. I forgot that the TM is essentially an aluminum box.

Bl95070
06-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Are you sure the RV satellite internet will work anywhere?
RV internet services are available for over $60 per month vs. $30 for house set up. I suppose you can subscribe RV internet as your only service.

I know some people use mobile phone for internet service away from home. But you will need to be within serivce area. Unless you get a satellite phone, that will get expensive. Advantage is you can get internet while driving.

You can actually drive to any neighborhood in SF bay area and pick up wireless internet for free.

Stop by a starbuck for free internet service. But even that did not work for me. My laptop did not pick up the signal for some reason.

If I was going to mount a satellite, I would do it on the TV. That way you can get internet even when TM is not there. Chances are you can not go anywhere without the TV.

Regardless, when you pull up in a national park with internet access, you will be very popular.