PDA

View Full Version : Drummer Boy Campground, Gettysburg PA

Seleya
05-18-2005, 11:12 AM
What a nice campground! I haven't camped much in campgrounds to date (having mostly used my trailer for dog shows) but this one beats all the others handily. :D

The sites are nicely arranged, with sufficient space to spread out a bit and small buffer zones between most sites. A majority of the sites are pull throughs -- though we had (and requested) a more secluded full service "back-in" site as we had 6 dogs on board for the Bernese Mountain Dog National Specialty at the All Star Sports Complex which was 10 minutes away.

The usual dog policy is 2 dogs/site with more by prior arrangement and we saw quite a few families with pups in tow. They are very dog friendly! Poo bags are available on posts distributed throughout the campground for those who forget their baggies. :)

The campground is impeccably clean, the bathrooms/shower facilities are maintained a few times every day. The camp store is well appointed and prices are reasonable. There is a fishing pond and they are hoping to have a pool and water slide open by this summer.

We saw a number of full-timers and also weekending families and they seem to cater to both. The sites range from primitive through 50 amp. Weekly rates are available and they accept AAA.

I've already recommended this campground to others and would stay there again. Added to that, the various things available to do in the area make this a great destination!

Vicky

B_and_D
05-18-2005, 11:07 PM
I wish that I could take the kids across country - will keep this campground in mind if I'm ever able to do this. Thanks for the post and recommendation. There is so much history to "see" in that part of the USA.

:)

Carole
05-20-2005, 08:09 AM
We live in Oregon, and several years ago, we spent part of a day at Gettysurg,
we would like to return and spend a week. There is so much history there, no way can you see it all in a day. A very special place. Will keep the campground in mind when we find our TM 2619.
Thanks, :)
Carole

Seleya
05-20-2005, 03:30 PM
If you do return, there is a place locally where you can go for a 2 hour horseback ride and they have cd players on the saddles so you get a running dialogue of the battlefields you're riding through as you go. Very neat.

The ghost walk place had a special walk for those of us there with our dogs. We simply got a group together and they took us special.

There are loads of things to do and see there. It's a pretty amazing and humbling place. With the dog show we didn't have as much time to poke around as we might have liked -- pretty busy otherwise. :rolleyes:

Vicky