PDA

View Full Version : First look and somewhat worried

09-18-2002, 12:41 AM
After doing my research and reading about TrailManor, I got my first hands-on look last week. I had been reading about the velcro strips and wondered what people were talking about. The salesman made the mistake of pulling up the strip in the front by the door. I had assumed that the bottom of the shell had some kind of U shape that came up and partially sealed the unit. Was I wrong. I looked down between the shells and saw the ground. So, there are several inches that this velcro padding must cover and seal against weather, insects, and anything else I don't want in the trailer. Can someone just put their arm up from outside, push the velcro aside and reach anything? Keep in mind, I only saw this opening a brief second until the salesman closed it. Should I worry about this or is there something I don't know?

Civil_War_Buff
09-18-2002, 01:13 AM
Unless the trailer was setting at an odd angle or something, there is no way that someone could reach up inside. If they had a very small hand, or something, maybe. Keep in mind that the velcro panels have wood in them as well, so unless the very small handed person knows how TrailManors are constructed, it feels hard when they would touch the flap. It does a pretty good job of sealing so I wouldn't worry about much getting in.

hal
09-18-2002, 02:27 AM
The flaps are held down by velcro strips that run the length of the front of the trailer on each side. Have you noticed how difficult it is to "unlatch" two joining pieces of velcro that are an inch or two in length. Consider the holding power that this entire strip contains.  Then consider that the adjoining strips are "around the corner" from being a direct pull.  This makes the attachment even stronger.  As to someone gaining access to your trailer by unlatching this flap, I don't think so.  The area covered by the flap is so narrow that an open hand may be able to push against the flap but the fingers wouldn't be strong enough to "tear the flap" connection open.  It would take more than fingers (a fist) being rammed against it and there just isn't enough room to ram a fist without injuring it.  I don't think that even a pice of wood (2 x 4) being rammed into the flap would cause the flap to readily give away.

Hal

09-18-2002, 07:41 AM
I was reading the posts from the past few months.  Back in April of this year, there is a posting about pets and the possibility of pets falling through these openings if the velco gave way or was pushed up.   Exactly how wide is this opening if people are that concerned?   Another poster further back states that someone could reach in the trailer near the door and even unlock the doors.  What is going on here?  Now, I am getting concerned.

KB7OUR
09-18-2002, 09:06 AM
I suppose if someone wants to get in bad enough they can do just about anything. If they tried poking around with mine, they would risk loosing a few fingers or even a hand in the process.

The 2720SL has a 6-8 inch vinyl flap with a wood insert that covers the front opening between the back of the couch and the bottom of the upper section to form a shelf. It's pretty sturdy and our experience is that you can put several pounds of stuff up there with no risk of it collapsing. I can't see how small pets would pose any problem. The side flaps that cover the opening between the upper and lower sections are maybe 1 inch wide so not much room to pose any problem. Go see one for yourself so you can decide whether this design is acceptable or not. It's just fine for us.

Wade (had a 2720SL, getting a 3023)

Civil_War_Buff
09-18-2002, 09:06 AM
I am not aware of these posts you speak of, but unless they are talking about very 1st generation TMs I can say without a doubt , that only a small snake or lizard would fall through the gap, and there is no way that someopne could reach the door handle to unlock it unless they had stretchy arms and can move like Gumby.  Someone is feeding you a line, and unless this is joke post, there are a great many TM owners that will bear this out.  To say that the velcro gave way. or was pushed up was obviously posted by a person without a TM.  Take another look at the gap and judge for yourself....but to worry is not warranted.

2619PDX
09-18-2002, 09:47 AM
I'm a new TM owner, but having used it this summer, and having had to pull this velcro up to collapse the unit, let me add to those who've already responded by saying - the holding power of these Velcro'd flaps is NOT a problem. Yes, IF these flaps are up - after set up, yes you CAN see the ground, but no human or animal will fall through this opening. (papers maybe...)

I can also say, having camped in Arizona at 110 degree's for over a week, and running the wall a/c in my litttle 2619, that it is VERY WELL insulated in spite of these flaps. We had no bugs or anything else.

Speaking personally, TM's are very well engineered, designed and built. If you want a trailer that tows easily, set's up quickly, and is comfortable with a spacious floor plan, then buy the TrailManor. You won't regret your decision!

tipper
09-18-2002, 10:12 AM
No camper is secure.  Velcro flaps or not is of little consequence.

Entry to the TM is indeed possible by pushing open the flap by the door and, sure, one could shove a hand up through the Velcro'ed pad just as one armed with some physical strength could force open a door on most campers.

Probably a pet primate would be able to figure out the Velcro pads, and it would just use the door knob anyway.  No one has ever reported a pet problem with the Velcro pads.  The Velcro seems to do a pretty good job against insects in my experience and we've camped where all lights must be off if you open the door at night.

A lot of opinions re the TM really depend on where one is coming from.  If you are/were a tent camper or pop up owner then you may see things differently from someone owning a conventional RV and from those not having previously camped at all.  

09-18-2002, 12:51 PM
We have a 3124KS. The space behind the slideout is approximately 8" - 10". We also have a 20lb Maine coon cat that enjoys walking and lying on the flap that covers the opening. Unfortunately, the flap is plenty strong to hold the beast. Not only is that flap held down with velcro, there is a latch on each end to keep it closed. When the flaps are down and in place, nothing gets in.

Denny_A
09-18-2002, 02:48 PM
We have a 3124KS. The space behind the slideout is approximately 8" - 10". We also have a 20lb Maine coon cat that enjoys walking and lying on the flap that covers the opening. Unfortunately, the flap is plenty strong to hold the beast. Not only is that flap held down with velcro, there is a latch on each end to keep it closed. When the flaps are down and in place, nothing gets in.

So, to test this hypothesis, I went out to my 2720SL and was inside in less than one minute! Through the end flap. The one with the twist latch on either end. I started the velcro loosening by curling my fingers under the velcro near the middle, and worked in both directions with both hands. Then reached in an released both latches. Stepped on the frame, stood up inside and popped in using a "western roll" onto the couch.

Less than one minute! Don't tell anybody, ok? That's a good reason for a big dog. Like mine.

Denny_A

Gene
09-18-2002, 02:57 PM
I have seen some people who have replaced the velcro with snaps!

oilspot
09-19-2002, 12:25 AM
A lot of opinions re the TM really depend on where one is coming from.  If you are/were a tent camper or pop up owner then you may see things differently from someone owning a conventional RV and from those not having previously camped at all.  

The TM is superior in many ways to conventional travel trailers, so it is hard to admit that they may not be superior in EVERY way.  In reality, Most of us already know this, but don't mind the compromises.  As stated above: if you had a tent or a pop-up security wasn't even an issue.  

If security is a very high priority for you, then you may need to look for something more substantional (either a big rig or 5th wheel).

However, Most travel trailers do not design for high security because (with the exception of full-timers) very few campers take their heirloom jewlry or expensive electronics with them.  They rely on honesty and deterants such as door locks.

The TM design from the inside looks quite vulnerable, but I contend that an uneducated crook probably has never seen a TM, let alone understand it's weaknesses.  All they see is a hard shelled camper with a hard shell door.  There are also other security things you can do, but I won't blabber on about them here.

On the flip side: I'm glad I can get in without a key (in an emergency).  A few times, I have gone out hunting at 0-dark-thirty and left my keys inside.  Miles from the closest phone I crossed my fingers that I could gain access without any permanent damage.  Thankfully, it can be done.

I think the velcro flaps work fine and do a good job of covering up the gaps.    

arknoah
09-19-2002, 01:26 AM
Good to see this discussion here.  I believe someone earlier (maybe Larry Loo) mentioned putting his hand up through the velcro area to open a locked door.  While it is possible, we hope that only people who have a clue about TMs would even know it was possible, and as Oilspot said, we usually rely on the honesty of other campers and not taking valuables along to minimize the losses.  

I must say however that when that velcro is set, nothing is going to fall from the inside to the outside.  Tipper's point is really good too -- how much security our units provide depends on what kind of unit (pop-up, conventional travel trailer, tent, etc.) you had before.

Gene
09-19-2002, 06:59 AM
The 2003 models now have a deadbolt door lock. Anyone can change the door lock to a more secure lock on their TM, if they choose to.

09-19-2002, 07:33 AM
I am still trying to imagine how in reply #9 (above) that someone can stand up in that opening and roll in on the couch.  That's one big opening or one thin person.   ???

Denny_A
09-19-2002, 08:51 AM
I am still trying to imagine how in reply #9 (above) that someone can stand up in that opening and roll in on the couch.  That's one big opening or one thin person.   ???

I am far from thin, but had no problem. A little bit of flex in the slide out box and some give from the shell and EVEN I can do it. Trust me on this. I tend to investigate hypotheticals to confirm or deny!

BTW and JIC- Western Roll was the predecessor to the Fosbery Flop as a means of clearing a high barrier. Used that for visualization purposes.

Den(n)y

Happytrails
09-19-2002, 10:03 AM
While we're on this subject, I thought I'd bring up a point to consider. Not too long ago a girl died because of a generator that was running under her camper and the carbon monoxide that built up in her conventional style trailer while she slept. With the seals in place, and even with a carbon monoxide monitor, running your generator too near your TM may pose a problem......Just a thought....

Happytrails.........

jquarles
09-05-2011, 10:25 PM
I know this is a very old post, but I thought I needed to look up TM security since our camping group was split up and I came back and had no key. Took about 5 seconds to be in the TM. All I did was reach up next in the crack to the left of the door. Push out the small vinyl flap. The one that hangs vertically down by the door, not the real long horizontal flaps. Stuck my hand in. Pushed that little plastic thing that holds the top half of the door from swinging away from the bottom half. Then just opened the top half of the door. From there you just reach in and unlock.

Now for the fun part.. Any one here on the forum have a solution for this?

countrygirl
09-06-2011, 05:41 AM
I think I have read that people put a dead bolt in the top half of the door.

Kwantau
09-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Locks are made to remind honest people that they can't enter. Crooks will get into anything as long as they have enough time. It doesn't matter if it is an Airstream or a big fancy moterhome they will get in. Do a search on key bumping and it shows how fast you can open a lock without damage.

rumbleweed
09-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Still more secure and comfortable than a tent. Keep in mind that you know the mechanics of the TM. It would have been a little more difficult if you did not. You could also try a sign like this on the door.

purpleg
09-06-2011, 06:59 PM
We left the keys inside our 2720sl and my husband had to break in to get them. Since we knew exactly where the seams were, he was able to stick his hand in over behind the refrig. But, he could have gotten through a window just as easily if he was a thief, just as in any camper. When we are using our trailmanor, I pile tote bags, computers, books and any other junk I happen to bring with me and put them on the vinyl flap behind the sofa to the wall. A lot of weight, the velcro does not give at all. As far as bugs and creatures, we've only had flies - which come in the door when we open it.

Jim&Joan
09-06-2011, 08:33 PM
While you're in it, a .45 can be a fun solution :-)

B_and_D
09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd like to put a deadbolt on ours, but I have another way of securing ours, as it has a pin that inserts into the door with a loop on top. I can either use a chain and a lock, or a cable lock, or a bike wheel lock.

I've always wanted to put a bolt lock on but I don't think it's worth the trip to the lock shop (or paying for a visit).

We don't have a lot of nice stuff either in the TM or at home (on purpose). I don't think anybody wants our stuff. ;)

T and C
09-06-2011, 10:20 PM
So, to test this hypothesis, I went out to my 2720SL and was inside in less than one minute! Through the end flap. The one with the twist latch on either end. I started the velcro loosening by curling my fingers under the velcro near the middle, and worked in both directions with both hands. Then reached in an released both latches. Stepped on the frame, stood up inside and popped in using a "western roll" onto the couch.

Less than one minute! Don't tell anybody, ok? That's a good reason for a big dog. Like mine.

Denny_A

A few years ago I went out to remove the draw bar from my truck. It was held in securely in the reciever by one of those hardened locks, the ones where you stick the key in the end and then turn the shaft around several times until the end with the key in it comes off.

As I attempted to do this I had a very hard time turning it. So, I sprayed some WD40 down the keyhole and went back to work. In the process I might have used a few terms I did not learn at Sunday school. After about 30 minutes of turning it a little at a time it came off like it was supposed to.

That is when I noticed that I was using the key for the back door on my camper shell. :new_Eyecr It was similar in shape, but definitely not identical.

Tom

clown9644
09-07-2011, 07:17 AM
As all of you worry about security, get together and match up keys. Nearly all outside storage cabinets use the same key (my dealer just reached up onto a key rack and handed my a new one without even looking at my lock) and there are not a whole lot of different keys that open the doors.
If you have stuff that you need to protect, install a safe. I put one under the sink that is big enough to hold valuables and things I do not want someone to get hold of when I am off to the showers and or pool.

Jim&Joan
09-08-2011, 08:05 AM
I installed a safe in my vehicle to secure things when not in the trailer. Makes it more versatile to us for the way we go about things. Mine is integrated in the console, Console Vault.

wallets, money, small electronics, etc. doesn't handle a laptop