PDA

View Full Version : Question about livability

09-28-2002, 02:10 PM
I know TMs are known for combining towability and livability, but would anyone recommend actually living in one?

I'm going to be going back to school in a city three hours away from home.  While I plan on returning home during the weekends, I'm considering the possibility of living in a TM Sunday through Thursday.

Am I crazy?

oilspot
09-28-2002, 02:21 PM
Sounds like a neat idea.

I guess a TM is comparable to what I had for a dorm room.  

I guess if you had full hook-ups everything would be fine.

Just some thoughts:
Be careful to turn all electric stuff off while away (class, home, etc), especially elect. heater or appliances.

Keep things dry in the bathroom.  Heavy use everyday may require extra attention to keep seepage and moisture issues in check.

Security may not be the best for a single college co-ed, so consider extra precautions.... personal alarm, pepper  spray, etc.  Although most RV parks are reasonably safe.

Keep us posted on how it works out.

arknoah
10-02-2002, 12:42 AM
I agree generally with Oilspot, but would also mention that livability requires more than simply ensuring that the unit functions properly for an extended period of time.  Depending upon your location, you will not always want to stay inside your unit because no matter how you slice it, these are relatively small units.  My only suggestion is to ensure that you will be able to get outside and use outside space as part of your home as well as the inside.

As Oilspot said, the TM is very much like a single room in a college residence hall, but in a residence hall, you also have  floor lounge, the TV, room etc., that you won't have in the trailer.

10-02-2002, 07:39 AM
Hi Jessica,
I will toss in my .02 worth. I lived in a pop-up for 2.5 months late in the fall in coastal NC. Other than the occasional sub freezing night it wasn't bad at all. I did utilize the campground shower house as much as possible, but during that time of year there was never anyone there anyway. I enjoyed the peace and quiet of a relatively deserted campground and watching the seasons change. You did not say what part of the country you are in but take precautions to keep your tanks and hoses from freezing, heat tapes and tank heaters are a necessity if you encounter much more than the occasional freezing night. Other than that, I would do it. In fact if I can find the right TM I may be doing it in Northern Maryland in the next couple of months.
Aaron

tipper
10-02-2002, 12:58 PM
jessicas,

I see no problem with one person living in one given the weather isn't so cold.   If the temperature drops you may not be so comfortable inside but this is strictly an individual expectation thing.  

I would think you could find cheap rent in lieu of campground fees [if this is your situation].  My daughter shares an apartment in Ann Arbor Mich. for $17/day.

10-04-2002, 03:08 AM
Since posting the original message, I have learned that living in any RV in Tuscaloosa, Alabama (where I'll be attending school), will not be cost effective.

I do appreciate everyone's input.  Roll Tide!