PDA

View Full Version : Requesting 3023 Suggestions

KB7OUR
09-13-2002, 10:53 AM
Looks like we'll be getting a new 3023 soon. Contemplating the two chairs vs. two couches configuration. I know you can get the door side couch with drawers for extra storage, but we like the comfort of the chairs. Anyone with a 3023 model please do toss out some views. Thanks.

Wade

drolfs
09-13-2002, 03:19 PM
With storage at a premium in a TM, I like the 4 extra drawers. There's also a "slot" between the drawers that's accessed from the top (under the couch cushion), about 8"x24"x18". Besides.... when the TV is setting in it's spot over the frig, there're 2 couches for 2 couch potatoes...

KB7OUR
09-14-2002, 03:50 AM
DROLFS,

Good advice. Are the couches the same size?

drolfs
09-14-2002, 11:16 AM
Check out these pics at pbase.com

http://www.pbase.com/drolfs/trailmanor

They should give you a good idea of couch sizes....

09-14-2002, 06:08 PM
We have chairs and are happy with the setup.  We put the TV on the cabinet between them and it leaves the space over the fridge free for other stuff.  We only have one factory chair, and then another lightweight chair that we can easily move around.  This way we can seat three at the table without adding the extention.

As far as storage, we have a family of four, and spend up to a week at a time in our TrailManor, and have never filled all of the storage space.  The cabinet between the chairs is great to store games and cards.  I also store a table lamp there when towing that we set up on the cabinet when we are plugged into shore power.

KB7OUR
09-15-2002, 04:36 AM
NW_Owner,

Thanks for the info on your chair setup. Right now this is my first choice, with the couch/drawer option being the second. If you had 2 factory chairs could you still open up the table or would it hit the closest chair? Can you just push the chair flat against the wall so the table will clear? Also, is the only thing under the large couch the furnace and the rest is storage?

Wade

09-15-2002, 12:04 PM
The factory chair in our trailer is located next to the bed.  To put up the table, you just swivel it and the table gets past fine.  It is the position by the door where we do not have a factory chair.  The second chair was an option in 1997.  We were going to order the second factory chair at first, but we got so that we liked the flexability of the lighter weight chair.  With the table up, without the leaf, we can pull the door chair around to the table and have three seating positions.  If all four of us are at the table we put the leaf in.

The water tank is also under the couch.  Even so, there is still quite a bit of space for addition storage.  In our trailer, however, this spot is almost empty.  We must not bring a lot of stuff, because the storage by/under the rear bed, and the cabinet in the bath are only about half full as well.

arknoah
09-16-2002, 01:39 AM
Wade,

We have a 3225, which is very similar to the front of the 3023.  We chose the two couch option for the storage.  I do remember someone writing in this board that they found getting into and out of the chair nearest the ned to be difficult with the table up.  That may be something to consider.  

Does the dealer you're considering have both options that you can look at and play with?  That might be a good way to sense how either option would feel while in use.

KB7OUR
09-16-2002, 02:11 AM
Unfortunately, the dealer doesn't have both configurations of the 3023 on hand to tweak around with. Still undecided at this point. Of course, I know if we choose the 2 chairs we'll wish we had ordered the couch instead. The 2 chairs seem more versatile as you could remove them altogether if there was a need. The couches also look nice from the pics provided within this thread (drolfs). Thanks to all for your inputs. This group is fantastic.

Wade

KB7OUR
09-20-2002, 04:26 AM
Thanks to everyone for your inputs to help us configure our 2003 model 3023. I had a chance to see the dual couch w/drawer setup, which is very nice. However, I think we're going with the two chairs and center table for some loss is storage space but a bit more flexibility in that we can remove the chairs and table altogether if desired. Also, upgrading to 40 gal fresh water tank for minimal cost. Most often would likely only fill 2/3 or so since the grey water tank is only 30 gal. I like the 15" load D tires and the battery outside in front on the frame. Looks like plenty of room for two 6 volt T105's. We'll go with the swing away hitch option since our garage is only 21' deep. The new rounded corners on the exterior are very sleek looking. Now there's a deadbolt on the door, but it's on the lower section. We're going to ask TM if they can mount it on the upper section. Front lamps have been replaced with dome lights like the ones used throughout. They're mounted under the cabinet and still have the switch located near the center roof vent. Clock has been replaced with a 3rd flip up door. We're wondering when they will engineer a slide out option! Ordering soon with delivery in apx. 5 weeks.

Wade

arknoah
09-25-2002, 03:07 AM
Wade,

Congrats on your order.  The new models sound really nice, and its clear that some of our owner's concerns about design and the little things (the lamps, for example) have been addressed by the company.

You're right about the slide out (I presume you mean a side slide-out).  That would make these units even better. Hey, if Hi-Lo can do it now, I'm sure the engineers at TM can pull it off, too!

KB7OUR
09-25-2002, 09:52 AM
F. J. & Ellen,

Yes, I did mean a side slideout option. Imagine how cool that would be. Of course, then you up the weight and cost to the point it becomes even more prohibative, unless some new manufacturing techniques could be developed. We did find out that the current deadbolt in use won't mount on the upper door because it will rub on the roof section when closed. I'm going to try to find something that will work here. Another change from '02 models is that the radio antenna is horizontal, looks kinda bowtie like and is mounted across the back of the front roof section. Ground clearance on this model with no lift but the 15" tires is the same as our 2720SL with 2.5" lift - I measured 12" of clearance from spare tire mount (bar) to the ground on both units. We also went with the carpet this time, anticipating that the very low pile berber loop should wear very well. Also, there's a second porch light on the drivers side. Asked TM if they could install a larger fresh water drain in order to use it as a fill point (mod detailed on this board) but they said the tanks arrive pre-configured with the smaller drain opening, hose, and valve - I tried! Oh, yeah...I also requested that they keep the outer skin "bubbles" to a minimum  :P.

Wade

09-30-2002, 12:11 PM
I was in Tampa, Fl for the past 3 weeks, had a chance to go Trail Manor looking. The dealer down there: Great Escape RV on the Dale Mabry, had at least one of every model in stock over a range of 3 model years. Noted that the factory is now using the rounded wheel wells. The salesman tried to push Hi-Lo but we made it very obvious that either we looked at TM or we left. They had a '03 3023 in blue ( DW wants green) with the dual couches.

Aaron

KB7OUR
09-30-2002, 12:19 PM
wahoonc,

Do you recall the price on the '03 3023 model with the two couches? Also, what other accessories were installed?

Wade

09-30-2002, 12:30 PM
Hi Wade,
sorry don't remember the exact price, my wife might. I was too busy playing with the new remote control Coleman Monterey ;D :o. It was fully optioned,(the TM) only thing I don't remember seeing was the CD radio. It was a dual sofa model too, which is the one we want.

Aaron

10-01-2002, 09:33 PM
Wade,
Finally caught up with my wife, she says the price on the 2003 3023 pretty well optioned out was  $27k. That was before any negotiations. They had a 2002 model with the chairs options that was going for $24-25k.
Hope this information is helpful.

Aaron

Larry_Loo
10-02-2002, 08:50 AM
Wade,

You mentioned that the 2003 TM models now are equipped with deadbolts on the lower half door. You also stated that the TM factory can't install the deadbolts on the upper half door because it would interfere with the closing of the shell. I don't know what the new deadbolt looks like, but, you can install a cabinet lock on the upper half door of your new 3023 as I did - for added security. The upper half door is only fastened to the lower half door by the standard plastic latch that one must swing down (at least on my 1999 TM). I believe that an intruder might easily open the upper half door by forcibly pulling on it and bending the plastic latch outward. It's for that reason that either John Irwin or Jack Fox thought of the idea of installing a cabinet lock on the upper half door. This is a low profile lock that rotates 90 degrees (when you turn the key in the lock)  and puts the latch piece over the door jamb. It makes for a stronger lock than the plastic latch itself.

Read my May 15, 2002 message under "Tips and Tricks" entitled "Additional Lock on Upper Half Door" for the details of the installation. John Irwin's TrailManor site used to have pictures showing the installation of this type of lock but he's removed them since he went to an Airstream trailer. ::) ::)

KB7OUR
10-02-2002, 11:14 AM
Aaron, thanks for the pricing info. We did very well on our 2003 3023 model. I won't publish the price but I will say that if you're in the PHX area for a purchase, talk to Dave at Van's RV in Surprise and he will treat you right. I receive no kick backs, unfortunately  :'(.

Larry, thanks for the tip on the cabinet lock. I have read the posts you refer to and they were helpful. Indeed I will put some kind of lock on the upper door, maybe a cam style. I guess it would be the outside "keyed" part of the deadbolt that would rub against the lower section when closing.

Wade

tipper
10-02-2002, 01:16 PM
There was a new 3023 at an RV show today with a publicly displayed "show price" of about $24,000.  

While I love the TM to pieces and am very satisfied with my purchase, going to an RV show is an eye opener.  It's amazing what one can purchase for $24,000 in an RV if interior room is a priority.  This is why the TM will always be a niche product.  It's attributes are valued by a small number, including me.

Larry_Loo
10-02-2002, 01:39 PM
Wade,

You said:

"Indeed I will put some kind of lock on the upper door, maybe a cam style. I guess it would be the outside "keyed" part of the deadbolt that would rub against the lower section when closing."

The cabinet lock that I installed in the upper half door is located close to its edge so that the cam of the lock swings over the door jamb, not the edge of the lower half door. Yes, it is keyed from the outside. The disadvantage of this kind of a cabinet lock is that you can't lock it when you're inside the trailer. You could, however, install a sliding bolt as an additional lock when you're inside the trailer.

arknoah
10-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Tipper,

You're right about ours being a small market.  It's kind of like people used to say about Volvos -- the "thinking man's car."  I guess we're the thinking person's travel trailer.   I was also amazed in looking at lots of different manufacturers how much even $20,000 would buy compared to mine.  I come back time and time again to the towing and how easy it is, and I remember as a teenager how challenging the driving of our conventional trailer was for my father, who is still an excellent driver.  

The only other drawback is that Ellen hasn't worked with the unit enough to open and set it up without my assistance -- she just hasn't done it enough, and it does take some practice.  But like you, I'm sold....

KB7OUR
10-07-2002, 12:50 AM
Believe me, if I could park a large conventional travel trailer inside one bay of my 21' garage, get 13 MPG when towing fully loaded with a 5.3L Yukon XL, experience "easy towing", take it off road for boondocking, and push it around my driveway with a small hand dolly, then I would not have much reason to purchase a $20K+ TM! That's why we have our 2nd TM ordered (replacing 2720SL with 3023) and on the way to AZ in a few weeks. Trick or Treat!

Wade