PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm supposed to be able to figure this out

10-11-2002, 02:37 PM
We got home with our first TM.  But I have not gotten into it yet.  I've leveled it up.  The manual says the first step to open it up is to release four "top" (quotes in manual) latches at each corner.  I tend to think that means total of four latches, ONE latch at each corner.  Corner of what--the front section, the back section, the whole unit or what?  

The second step is to release four latches, two on each side, near the wheels.  I see those four latches on the bottom, two on each side just in front of the wheel.  But I have not found and identified those latches in step one.

My trail partner and I had planned our maiden voyage this weekend.  However, due to weather forecast, and our not having "made it ours" inside, we decided to wait.

But to make it ours inside, I  gotta locate those latches.
I don't want to put a humongous pull on something that ain't latches and mess something up.

A diagram with arrows pointing to those little elusive boogers would have been nice.  But if summa y'all will just tell me with words where they are, I'll go hunting
AGAIN!

Thanky and waiting with anticipation,
Trailmanners in GA

???

Gene
10-11-2002, 03:58 PM
What it means it the "roof top" latches, that are at all four lower corners of the two rooftops

Denny_A
10-11-2002, 04:01 PM
We got home with our first TM.  But I have not gotten into it yet.  I've leveled it up.  The manual says the first step to open it up is to release four "top" (quotes in manual) latches at each corner.  I tend to think that means total of four latches, ONE latch at each corner.  Corner of what--the front section, the back section, the whole unit or what?  

The second step is to release four latches, two on each side, near the wheels.  I see those four latches on the bottom, two on each side just in front of the wheel.  But I have not found and identified those latches in step one.
-------snip-----------

A diagram with arrows pointing to those little elusive boogers would have been nice.  But if summa y'all will just tell me with words where they are, I'll go hunting
AGAIN!

Thanky and waiting with anticipation,
Trailmanners in GA

???

I tried to attach a .jpg of "those elusive little boogers" with this post. The so-called "Draw Latch" is the elusive corner latch. There are 4. Two fwd on the lowest point on each side of the movable shell, and two aft. The latch is of the "overcenter, locking" type. When unlatched , the movable portion stays attached to the endmost arms which rotate and support the shell. The fixed portion of the latches is attached to the corners of the shell.

Once these 4 latches are released, then outer-most, black handled "hold down latches" (left and right side, fwd of the wheels), are released in order to raise the forward pop-up shell. After it has been raised, then the inner black handled "hold down latches" are released in order to raise the aft shell.

Sorry I couldn't  attach 'TMDrawL.jpg' l. It's would have been too grainy and blurry to decpher due to attachment size restrictions.

Hope this has been of assistance,

Denny_A

10-11-2002, 04:10 PM
Thank you, Eugene and DenTed and to anyone else who would like to chime in.  I'll see if I can open up
on Saturday, 10/12.

With appreciation,
Trailmanners

:)

10-12-2002, 11:57 AM
DenTed (Denny),

I printed your info and took the sheet to the TM.  I could not find any "latches" to fit your description except the ones with the black handles just in front of the wheels.

I went to the home nearby where we saw our first TM some years ago and looked that unit over.  I saw the latches and was somewhat relieved.  I knew then why the little boogers were so elusive.  They were NON-EXISTENT--on our unit, an 88.  The other unit is an 89.

So I'm guessing the latches evolved with the 89 units.
There do not appear to be any places on our TM where these latches were ever installed.

I returned home and looked at a TM brochure showing a unit in tow, and I could see the latches I'd been looking for.  I knew then WHAT NOT TO KEEP LOOKING FOR.  We just don't have them.  

I released the latch handles just in front of the wheels and raised the unit nicely as you please.

Perhaps our manual just jumped the gun for the anticipated units for 89 which would have the latches.
I don't guess they were an option?

Well, anyway, our TM is standing tall.  

If anyone has any suggestions about really good buys on carport shelters for rv's, please advise.

Thanks,
Trailmanners in GA

:D

Denny_A
10-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Mr. Manners,

I am thinking (a rare enough event) that a call to Jimmy Davis at TrailManor might be in order. See if he recommends installing "draw latches" on your pop-up shells.

It appears to me that the task would not be very cpmplicated. There are alse rubber *shock absorbing* strips anchored to the frame, which prevent the shell from taking a beating during towing. The latches hold the shell ends down and the rubber strips separate the frame from the edge of the shell. I'm sure that if Jimmy Davis recommends the latches you'll likely also need the shock absorbing rubber strips.

Jimmy Davis can be reached at: 865 456 7426

Denny_A

Happytrails
10-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Interesting Trailmanors as my 1986 tm DOES have those latches installed, and from the looks of it, from the factory! (They've even got the same caulking around em that the rest of the TM does). Yes, I would contact the TM people and find out if you should do that and do check on the rubber strips as well as mine's got those also.....

Happytrails..........

10-12-2002, 03:47 PM
Sounds like I may be about to meet Mr. Jimmy Davis.  I've seen his name around here as THE resource for getting a TM to do right.

If these latches keep my brand new  ;D 1988 TM from beating up on itself in tow, then I need them!

I can see myself at this keyboard asking just where to drill holes, what kind of caulking to use, and where and how to install those strips--unless Mr. Jimmy Davis includes detailed instructions in the deal.

So y'all don't leave--unless, of course, you need to get the TM and yourself and trail partners out for a stretch.

Thanks, trail buddies.

Trailmannering in GA (soon),
Trailmanners

:)