PDA

View Full Version : Please be reputable.

smokeater5081
03-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Greetings all, First time user, My wife and I arrainged to purchase a 97 3325 TM from Ray in Texas last fall. He asked to hold onto it for the winter to camp with siblings he hadn't seen for a very long time. We agreed for it is poor weather in Iowa during the winter and wouldn't be using it till spring. After telling us he desired to only sell it to us, we where greatly looking forward to getting the TM. I used to own a 2618 several years ago and truly loved everything about it. Come the spring after staying in touch all winter, a week after telling us he still desired to sell the TM, he then sent us an email saying he found a local buyer and was selling it to them. We were willing to give him the desired amount and travel the distance to pick it up. Passing up looking for any other camper. We are now back to looking for a TM since we really don't desire any other brand. And are appaulled after finding the TM on this forum that they would be rude and dishonorable. So please pass on my message to be reputable. My parents raised me to be honest and responsible.
Thanks for listening.

Mark and Shawna
TM owners (hopefullly) soon to be!

JessWD
03-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Dear Mark and Shawna,

I'm one week old to this post and have basically had only questions as my wife, Bonnie and I are now considering a TM in our future. While I don't have any credibility when it comes to travel trailer knowledge and limited experience to a few years back in the late sixties, I would like to comment on your post.

I don't wish to trash the fellow in Texas that you feel promised to sell you his trailer and then didn't. I have not walked in his moccasins, as the saying goes. But I do want to extend my empathy for your feelings and the situation it left you in; disappointed and being forced to begin a search all over again for a descent used TrailManor. We, too, will most likely be forced to begin our experience with a used one. We have not even started to search for one, as we have not yet seen a TM in person to inspect them and do a walk-through. However, I can imagine it represents a daunting challenge - especially for us, who live in California, and many TM owners seem to live closer to the point of origin - TN or the Eastern U.S. It's the same with HiLo's - out of Ohio.

I am retired now. My first 12 years were lived in a quiet neighborhood in the outskirts of Dayton, OH. But I grew up in an era where honesty, integrity, courtesy, generosity and a personal code of honor meant everything. A man's reputation hung on something as short-lived as a firm hand shake. A
man's word was better than a bank contract. People helped one another without keep tabs on how often and to what degree and never looked for equal reciprocation. A person's reputation for lying quickly spread like rotting garbage. "You can't trust that man" made him an outcast in the local soceity.

I am personally grieved to live in an age where dis-trust is so often the verdict before the trial; where even though you want to trust a person's word, you cannot escape the nagging doubts "what if....?" The moral foundations that used to be taken as the pattern of family standards, appears to be nearly non-existent today. Sadly, I have been "taken to the cleaners" all too often by people who wore Christianity as a banner; so much so that when I hear a business advertized as "Christian" or see the fish icon as part of their logo, or I am told "oh, he's a Christian," I cannot help but see
my automatic garage door-opener put up caution lights and protective bars around my wallet. It is a sad, sad commentary of our world today.

Fortunately, everyone is NOT like that. Trust inevitably develops over time when you make acquaintance and friendship with a trust-worthy person. Words hold little weight. Action over time gives solid evidence of truth and honor.

But folks, take heart. I have also learned in life, that when disappointment comes, when a door of desire and anticipation and projected hope is slammed shut; often times other windows or doors eventually open to reveal a path or direction previously not even imagined, but which prove to be filled with the most lasting satisfaction and gratefulness. So don't dwell on this disappointment. Consider that it is highly likely that something even better awaits you. Forgive this person who disappointed you. Turn to a new page in your experience and look with light-hearted anticipation for good things to come your way. I feel confident they will and in the not too distant future, you will be writing to me, encouraging me to get with the plan and locate our own trailer so we can join you for links over the fireplace around a campfire someday!

Have a PAGL* filled week.

JessWD

Peace, Assurance, Gratitude and Love

BobRederick
03-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Mark and Shawna
TM owners (hopefullly) soon to be!

This kind of thing happens to me once in a while. I have learned that someone is looking out for me and I begin to look forward to finding something better. He who looks on knows what is best and sometimes he takes things like this away. I begin to look real hard to find out what he has in store for me.

Last summer, a TM was taken away from me that I was pretty interested in. It all ended up with us saving an additional $9000 buying the same year and model from another dealer. Got to see some very special people on the trip to pick it up too.

Works for me every time. Can't think of a time when I was sorry (in the end) that the deal went awry. Also can't say it wasn't painful the moment it happened. Hang in there and see if it works for you. Happy hunting!

Best wishes.

Bob

rtcassel
03-06-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't wish to trash the fellow in Texas that you feel promised to sell you his trailer and then didn't.
Sadly, I have been "taken to the cleaners" all too often by people who wore Christianity as a banner; so much so that when I hear a business advertized as "Christian" or see the fish icon as part of their logo, or I am told "oh, he's a Christian," I cannot help but see my automatic garage door-opener put up caution lights and protective bars around my wallet.
How did religion get into this discussion? You say that you "don't wish to trash the fellow in Texas," but then you feel free to trash Christians as a group. I think that the TM discussions should steer clear of religion and politics.

smokeater5081
03-06-2005, 01:22 PM
;) To all who replied, thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement. Truly it was very disappointing, but we haven't lost faith that there are more folks out there that believe in treating people in a good and honorable manner than not. We just look at this as it wasn't ment to be and learn from it on how not to treat others. Our desire to find a TM is still just as strong so we have already begun our quest anew. We too will be getting a used TM for we haven't the resources for a new one. And are looking forward to times around the campfire with other TM owners.
Thanks again, it's nice to know there are others out there willing to help out.
Mark & Shawna :)

smokeater5081
03-06-2005, 01:30 PM
How did religion get into this discussion? You say that you "don't wish to trash the fellow in Texas," but then you feel free to trash Christians as a group. I think that the TM discussions should steer clear of religion and politics.
Hi RT, Personaly I don't think it was JessWD's intent to slam a religious group, but merely to point out an experience of his own. It is a shame when people will us a religion or an affiliation with one to flim-flam people.
JessWD, I didn't find it offensive, and I am a Christian.
Thanks again. Mark & Shawna

Larry_Loo
03-06-2005, 03:10 PM
RT, you misread JessWD's message. He did not intend to trash Christians. For, you see, Jess himself is a retired Christian pastor!

B_and_D
03-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I drove to Boise, ID to look at a TM in 2003 (from Santa Cruz, CA), and it wasn't what I was looking for. I was pretty disappointed. However, on the way back, we did get to stop in and see some relatives that we hadn't seen for many years, and because of that I found our TM. My cousin, who we visited along the way, found it for us (and called me the day after I got home!). The one he found was in such good shape and at a very reasonable price. I have to go along with the feeling that "things always happen for a reason". Before we found the TM's on the internet we went to look at a trailer about 90 miles from here. I called the people in the morning and told them that we were coming up to see the trailer. Just as we got there, some other people were leaving, and they had sold it to them. We probably would have bought that trailer, but we weren't meant to have it. We were meant to have our TM.

You'll find your TM yet. Have you posted what you're looking for, model and year range, in the "TM's Wanted" section? I see them for sale once in a while and would keep an eye out for you.