PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on loading 3023

KdHammonds
10-25-2002, 11:47 AM
Well, we have the TM sitting in the drive.  We are all excited and can't wait for our first trip.

We are starting to consider what to put in the camper and were.  I was hoping some of you experienced TM owners may have recommendations for how to most efficiently use the cabinets and drawers.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Bill
10-27-2002, 01:17 PM
What year is your 3023? The TM web site says that the 3023 has the 3500 pound axle and the 14" (5 lug) wheels. Apparently the new 3023's are being shipped with the heavier axle assembly and 15" (6 lug) wheels), which will increase the carrying capacity considerably. Wade is about to receive one of the new ones, and may be able to advise you appropriately.

Bill

KdHammonds
10-28-2002, 09:39 AM
We just purchased our 3023 and it is a 1998.  It has the 3500# axle, 5 lug, 14" wheels.  I just completed the wheel well retrofit recommended.  The trailer also has 3 Goodyear Marathon tires.

Windbreaker
10-28-2002, 10:13 AM
What year is your 3023? The TM web site says that the 3023 has the 3500 pound axle and the 14" (5 lug) wheels. Apparently the new 3023's are being shipped with the heavier axle assembly and 15" (6 lug) wheels), which will increase the carrying capacity considerably. Wade is about to receive one of the new ones, and may be able to advise you appropriately.

Bill

Where do you find the axle weight on the web site? I've looked and cannot find it. All I found is the table listing the stats and from what that said the 14" wheeled trailers must have at least a 4K lbs. axle. This is derived from adding the app. ship weight and the app. load weight.

KdHammonds
10-28-2002, 10:21 AM
When I toured the factory I was told it was a 3500 lb. axle.  I don't recall who, but someone in the tire thread I believe posted the math that the GVWR which is the trailer weight + it's contents has been calculated by taking the 3500 lb axle weight + the tongue weight.  The tongue weight of the 3023 I believe is around 500# which results in the ~4,000# GVWR.  

My personal opinion is this is cutting it close, and I am guessing TM has come around to that point of view as well since they have gone to the larger axle for the 3023.

My concern over the axle weight prompted my inquiry about loading the 3023.  We are trying to be very sensitive about what we "must have" in the trailer.

Thanks,

Keith

Bill
10-28-2002, 11:08 AM
Kd, you've got it exactly right. Nowhere does the TM website call out 3500 pounds as a rating of any kind for the 3023, but it does call out the 14" tires. After doing quite a bit of research with Dexter Axle (the company that makes the axle assembly), I have come to recognize that the 14" (5-lug) wheels fit the 3500 pound axle. The 15" (6-lug) wheels fit the next-higher-rated axle assembly. I've forgotten the actual numbers for this bigger axle, but the Dexter web site can provide them.

You are right again - considering the base weight of the 3023, plus the factory installed options, the 3500-pound axle is cutting things pretty close. There isn't much cargo-carrying capacity left over, so I suspect that the factory has switched over to the heavier axle assembly, which I applaud. The web site doesn't show the change yet, but new owners have reported it. Of course, the 15" tires also carry more load than the 14" tires, so it is a nice combo. I wish I had it on my 2720.

I agree that the GVWR is NOT the same as the axle weight rating. The axle weight rating is known as GAWR (gross axle weight rating). The GVWR is higher than the GAWR, since the tow vehicle carries some of the trailer load, leaving less on the axle/wheels.  

When I say "3500 pound axle", I mean that the GAWR as defined by Dexter, and as reflected on the tag on the outside of the TM near the left wheel well, is 3500 pounds. Dexter (and nearly everyone else) defines GAWR as the weight that the tires carry, as measured at the tire-asphalt interface. In my understanding, this means that you load up your trailer ready for travel, hook it up to your tow vehicle using your normal hitch settings, drive onto a scale, and measure the weight on the two trailer wheels (with all of the tow vehicle wheels off the scale). Don't unhitch, don't lower the tongue jack or the springbars - weigh it just as it rolls down the road. The weight must be 3500 pounds or less. If it is more, you are overloading the axle. (The Goodyear Marathon 14" tires are rated for a bit more - 3740 pounds - so the axle is the limiting factor.)

One of our other regular contributors has done a lot more in-depth research on this topic than I, so please, take the comments above as my own interpretation. I am not a tire/suspension expert, but this seems pretty straightforward to me.

Hope this helps.

Bill

10-28-2002, 11:21 AM
Well, I don't have a 3023 I have a 2720SL, but I can tell you what some of my items are and where I keep them.

We bought a small 4 cup coffee maker that fits great under the sink.  It was actually more exspensive then a full size maker, but for my wife and I it works great.

For cookware I carry a Wok style frying pan. It comes in handy for almost all types of stove top cooking.  It can also be used to boil water, but we have a small kettle for that. We also have 1 small baking pan(be sure to  try it in the oven to see if it fits).  The first one I had was too big for the oven, and I found this out while camping.  I carry 4 plastic plates and bowls with lids to use for storage.  I keep all of this under the oven on the top shelf.

I keep a small Shop-Vac in the lower portion of the cabinet next to the dresser drawers. This I use very often.  Under the rear bed we keep a few towles and regular linen closet type items.

In the rear storage compartment I keep my tool box, large screen house, water hose, clamp on Halogene Light(Comes in very handy for night time setup),  water preasure regulator, and toilet chemicals and any other dangerous items(we have a small baby).

In the bumper storage I keep just my jack adjuster, and sewer hose.  When I am setup I also store my WD bars and sway bar there.

In the front storage I only have extras like another hose, and extension cord. Also, I keep my cordless drill for the jacks.

Since we have an SL we only have a front couch, no bed.  We usually leave the couch opened up as a bed, it is more comfortable that way.  We just use large throw pillows for the back.  This gives us a nice amount of extra storage under the front of the couch on the slide.  Here we keep a 13"tv, a porta playpen, and a basket of toys.  it works out great, because we can leave it here open or closed.  

This completes most of what I carry and where.  Hope this is what you were looking for.

Dave

KdHammonds
10-28-2002, 02:11 PM
Thanks,  this is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  I appreciate the info.

arknoah
10-29-2002, 03:15 AM
Our trailer is a different configuration, so some of what we store won't fit your 3023.  We tend to put things like games and books in the storage under the couch in the front.  In that way, our kids can access them easily.  We also store stuff like hobo pie makers and long skewers behind the couch cushion.

We tend to put heavier food items, like cans in the lower storage area under the sink, and have a hand vac in the area under the oven.  In the rear storage area, we store extra electrical cords anbd water hoses, along with our barbecue tools and propane stove.  We also have a few of the smaller propane tanks there.
When we are packing up to travel, we put lots of heavier stuff in the dining area on the floor, like the microwave, TV, folding chairs, some piles of wood (on a tarp to protect the carpet) in addition to a cooler which can plug into the12V outlet.  Very few things are put behind the axles like our daughter's bicycle.

Hope this helps.

Windbreaker
10-29-2002, 07:54 AM
Thank everyone, both those on the weight thing and the loading suggestions. We have only been out twice and all of this is very helpful. I wonder if the factory would retrofit a 2720 to the 15" wheels?

Denny_A
10-29-2002, 02:36 PM
-------snip-----------

When I say "3500 pound axle", I mean that the GAWR as defined by Dexter, and as reflected on the tag on the outside of the TM near the left wheel well, is 3500 pounds. Dexter (and nearly everyone else) defines GAWR as the weight that the tires carry, as measured at the tire-asphalt interface. In my understanding, this means that you load up your trailer ready for travel, hook it up to your tow vehicle using your normal hitch settings, drive onto a scale, and measure the weight on the two trailer wheels (with all of the tow vehicle wheels off the scale). Don't unhitch, don't lower the tongue jack or the springbars - weigh it just as it rolls down the road. The weight must be 3500 pounds or less. If it is more, you are overloading the axle. (The Goodyear Marathon 14" tires are rated for a bit more - 3740 pounds - so the axle is the limiting factor.)

One of our other regular contributors has done a lot more in-depth research on this topic than I, so please, take the comments above as my own interpretation. I am not a tire/suspension expert, but this seems pretty straightforward to me.

Bill

In the interest of ensuring the "other side" of the equation is filled in, I as the "other regular contributor" offer this caveat. I neither agree nor disagree with the following, but rather, report it from the perspective of *first person* communication with the TM factory engineer.

The GAWR, as "defined" by TrailManor is the weight which the axle can carry. That is, the weight of the trailer supported by the axle is the GAWR. The weight of the axle and of the 2 wheel assemblies is not included in the TM GAWR. This amounts to 200 lbs. As stated, this info was verbally communicated to me directly.  I do not assert it to be correct or incorrect. It is TrailManor's assertion.

If TM's definition is at variance with Dexter Axle's definition, and one is confused as to what limit is appropriate, then 3500 lbs, measured at the tires, is the safe way to go. Error on the safe side. This will, of necessity, mean reducing GVWR by a minimum of 200 lbs. If the 3023 is rated at GVWR = 4092 lbs, then one would reduce it to 3890 to compensate.

Denny_A  (wondering why I ever got involved)  :-/