PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your TM...inside or outside?

RockyMtnRay
01-15-2005, 09:49 AM
I've gathered from the various posts regarding covers, fading, etc. that a goodly number of TMO members store their TMs outside. And there are also a number of posts about garage door clearance, use of dollys for maneuvering, etc. that indicate a fair number of folks store their TMs inside their garages or perhaps some kind of shed/barn.

So thought it would be useful to have a poll as to whether you're an "innie" or an "outie" :D Explanations of why you chose (or were forced) inside or outside may be very helpful to others.

Me...I'm an "innie"...I specfically wanted a trailer I could store in half of my suburban home's garage so that it (1) was protected from hailstorms and sun damage, and (2) readily available anytime I wanted to go camping, and (3) not going to be a violation of my neighborhood's convenants against RV storage on my lot. That meant TM or HiLo and TM was the handsdown winner of that comparison. :)

rtcassel
01-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Stored tongue-first in garage because the rear ceiling is too low to accomodate AC. Wide, level driveway allows us to push the TM and rotate it so that it can be hooked up to the TV. Neighborhood covenants do not allow open storage.

fcatwo
01-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Not only store it inside but can set it up there--- no roof AC and the smallest TM model. Like Ray, our condo rules prohibit outside storage.

MikeD
01-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Stored inside to provide cover from winter ice storms, hail, and snow bombs dropping from the trees as the snow melts (plus I was concerned about the weight of the snow on the trailer top).

While the garage is tall enough to open the trailer, it is not long enough, but I can pull the trailer partially out of the garage to set it up. This is really great for the days when the power goes out - we can just set-up the TM and be warm and cosy with all of the conveniences missing from our cold, dark house.

MikeD

jlh29303
01-15-2005, 03:18 PM
We store our 2720SL outside for now. Pretty mild winters here in SC. But, we plan to erect one of those aluminum sheds as soon as we can for it in another area of our yard. We've already run a 30 amp supply to the area on a 4X4 post. We want to have the shed up high enough so we can open the TM up while keeping a roof over it.

ripp1202
01-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Outside and covered in the nasty weather of northern Ohio!!!!!! :new_evil: The Rip Little 4 pound Yorkie in 12 inches of snow

Bill
01-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Stored outside in Maine in the summer - our garage is too small for it to fit inside.

When in Arizona in the winter, it was stored in the garage for two years, per HOA rules. But that meant leaving the Explorer outside in the driveway. And pack rats decided they liked the nice warm Explorer engine during the cool winter nights in Scottsdale (as low as 55 degrees sometimes!), and they began tearing up the engine compartment, wires, hoses, etc. So now the TM is in a lot across town, and the Explorer is in the garage.

Fortunately, we don't have to cope with
a) Maine winters, or
b) Phoenix-area summers.

Bill

YWORRYDOG
01-15-2005, 05:03 PM
All of the campers that we have owned have been stored inside. first was a Dutchman pop up 1500 (had a bathroom) then a SunLite. (hard sided pop up) now the 2720SL. I feel that Sun, and snow are hard on a camper just sitting. Also I don't want all the neighborhood to know when we are gone...."Hay look their camper is gone! Lets go look at their fish pond..(or worse)

wesslvm
01-20-2005, 03:47 PM
We store ours inside a barn at one of our state fair grounds. $10 per foot for dry indoor storage can't be beat!

I picked up a tip from another camper from Canada who gave me the suggestion to contact the keepers of the fairgrounds and everything worked out for us. Nov 1st to April ??. I'm the last one in so I'll be the first one out!

Vince

Firefly
01-20-2005, 04:01 PM
We put our TM in a storage facility about 5 miles down the road. It goes in November 1st and comes out May 1st. We do a 6 month contract at $60 per month.

Our neighborhood covenents are pretty restrictive although we have it sitting on our driveway the other six months and no one seems to mind. It's heavily wooded around here so that probably helps.

Tami & Garry

Larry_Loo
01-20-2005, 07:25 PM
We store our 3124KS outside in a side yard. We prefer keeping it in the shade because of our very hot summers. Unfortunately our only tall trees that provide sufficient shade are eucalyptus trees, and, they are messy. About twice a year, therefore, we (my wife mostly) clean the seeds, and dried bits of sap off the TM's roof. There's an aluminum carport in our TM's future - but it's not a high priority item.

Bill
01-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Just a tip. If you rent a space for 6 months and pay up front, most storage lots will give you the sixth month free - but only if you ask for it!

Bill

Steverino
02-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Okay, so the weatherguy is calling for 6" - 10" of wet snow tomorrow. While we plan to keep our newly acquired TM in the garage, I have a few things I have to do first, so for now it's outside and set up.

Anyone know about snow load on these things? Should I be getting out tomorrow with a ladder & push broom to knock off the accumulation?

Thanks,

Steve

Denny_A
02-27-2005, 10:16 PM
up.

Anyone know about snow load on these things? Should I be getting out tomorrow with a ladder & push broom to knock off the accumulation?

Thanks,

SteveOld TM video allowed that the roof can carry 3000# of snow, ice, pine nuts, or whateva! I can't run a test of my own to verify/refute the claim. If I could, I wouldn't. I have become skeptical about claims which are difficult to prove.

Ladder & push broom? Yes, unless you volunteer to test the TM assertion.

Wet snow may be 20-30 lbs per ft^3. Roof around 170 sq ft. Six inches of snow results in 85 ft^3 at, say, 30 lbs per cube. Total wt about 85x30 = 2550 lbs. Couple of extra inches of depth could mean "test over".
Denny_A (:new_all_c Zinfandel too)

Labs4us
03-01-2005, 05:53 PM
:cool:
We keep ours under a deep carport that is part of our detached garage. The TM is out of the sun, and the weather, but still easily accessable. It's also nice knowing this carport won't blow over in a windstorm/hurricane and damage the TM. It is actually part of the garage (built into the roofline).