PDA

View Full Version : Road Side Assistance

APerkins
01-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Anybody compared or have experience with road side assistance programs? For example, AAA vs. Good Sam Emergency Road Service. AAA has bailed me out on numerous times, but have no experience when it comes to the TM I'm going to pick up in February

ALAN

Factor
01-11-2005, 07:16 AM
We have CAA in Canada similar to AAA in U.S. and no, they do not tow the trailer. I was pulling a load of treated lumber to my cabin and the wheel fell off the trailer. Not the TM.

John in N.W.Ontario

hal
01-11-2005, 08:03 AM
We are using AAA in Colorado. We have a premium policy with them that costs only a bit more and does include the trailer. Each (or both) will be towed 100 miles or to the nearest repair. We also favored the Triptick feature provided by AAA. This is a neat little spiral bound book of maps that display sections of our proposed route plus point out interesting features along the way...... But AAA is no no longer providing this service. They will provide state maps and a booklet that lists AAA approved facilities. Both are free to members. AAA has come through for us on several occasions. The Triptick was important to us and made our tip a lot of fun. They still will trace your route on a state map and mark areas of concern along the route. I could do the same thing by visiting sites on the internet. So why do I prefer AAA. There is no reason and we are again comparing Good Sam (Camping World) services. Good Sam wins hands down in providing more than AAA and at about 1/3 less in price.

Hal

Senorsedona
01-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Using Camping World or Good Sam Is the way to go. As mentioned in the other replies AAA is good, but not for RV's..Sorry to say I have used both. Good Sam & Campimg World, excellent service with either. It took me a couple years to convince a couple of my RV buddies. They finally found out they should switch.

Good Luck

Jack

RockyMtnRay
01-11-2005, 09:11 AM
As far as I know, AAA is not consistent with its coverage. It varies from state to state. You may have good coverage in some states, virtually none in others...
TC has it hit on the nose. The reason is that AAA is an association of state auto clubs...each club has its own rules about what they will cover. The coverage offered for RVs varies tremendously from state to state...but many of the state auto clubs will only tow one vehicle; not both the tow vehicle and trailer...and some will send out only one tow truck to bring in both the tow vehicle and trailer. :eek:

Hal is right that within Colorado, AAA has pretty good RV coverage. Venture outside Colorado and the situation could be very different.

I actually have both AAA and Good Sam coverage. Good Sam covers my RVing and my motorcycling as well as general driving. My AAA coverage is somewhat redundant for general roadside assistance but AAA's other benefits (trip books, maps (especially city maps), and discounts at retailers) more than makes up for the cost. I get enough savings from my AAA card at Lenscrafters alone to pay for my AAA membership most years.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
01-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Anybody compared or have experience with road side assistance programs? For example, AAA vs. Good Sam Emergency Road Service. AAA has bailed me out on numerous times, but have no experience when it comes to the TM I'm going to pick up in February

ALAN
I will endorse all the comments made about Good Sam. That is our choice after comparing with CAAA about 5 years ago, and finding that in California they will leave the trailer at the side of the road while they tow the truck. Good Sam will tow both.

Bill
01-14-2005, 10:31 AM
I will endorse all the comments made about Good Sam. I've had only one occasion to call Good Sam ERS. The guy on the phone (the national dispatch line) was an idiot, and sent the service guy to the wrong place despite my very specific description of where I was*. But the local guy he dispatched was pretty good, and found me anyway. Other than that problem, I was pleased - service was quick, the serviceman was well-equipped and polite, and we were on our way without undue delay.

Since I didn't require towing, our AAA membership would probably have handled the situation just as well, but I wanted to try out Good Sam.

*I thought it would hard to muck up "Westbound I-80, 20 miles east of Iowa City, Iowa, Exit 271, parked at the top of the exit ramp."

Bill

Simon3xUD
01-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Just a heads up that Good Sam may leave you in the lurch if you travel with pets. Seems they think that people that show their pets are professionals and won't provide service if there's a hint of your pets being "show dogs" (or cats). I've heard that they sometimes fail to differentiate between "show dogs" and plain ol' pet dogs. Since my whole reason for buying the TM was to camp at dog shows, I just got the RV coverage added to my existing AAA membership. Here's hoping I never need it :) .

APerkins
01-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Just a heads up that Good Sam may leave you in the lurch if you travel with pets.

Anybody found this to be true? We're going with Kuri, our Chesapeake and although she believes she's a people in a dog suit, not sure casual observers would agree. If the dog don't go, neither do we....... ;)

Senorsedona
01-17-2005, 05:04 PM
I have used Good Sam when I had my Grey Hound with me, no problems. In fact the driver checked to be sure the dog had water and was comfortable.

Keep'em rolling........

tucsoncarol
01-31-2005, 12:01 AM
I have used Good Sam when I had my Grey Hound with me, no problems. In fact the driver checked to be sure the dog had water and was comfortable.

Keep'em rolling........

Wow, are there now two TM owners on the road with greyhounds? We have three, and I would not leave them without rescue under any circumstance. We had been told when we used AAA (by the dispatcher) that only essential personnel would be transported, and everyone else would have to wait for another form of transport ( a taxi, I guess?) They meant ONLY the driver and towed vehicle, while the rest of the family and the dogs found their own way. When the driver showed up, he was helpful, friendly, and not about to leave any of us even though it meant a mighty crowded tow truck. He also told us he would take us to any location we wanted within reason despite the dispatcher telling us we would only be taken to the nearest AAA listed repair shop. We didn't have the trailer at the time, so it was just our Suburban that needed moving, but what a frightening thought if the dispatcher had been right.
I have been looking to unload AAA ever since. I think I'll switch to Good Sam.

This is in Arizona, of course. I know it's better some other places.

By the way Senorsedona, is your dog a GAL adoptee? All of ours are, and we are obviously "chippers" with three. Only our house won't hold more, our hearts always will.