PDA

View Full Version : Shower curtain length

caremd99
10-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Has anyone shortened the length of the shower curtain? My wife and kids do not like inadvertently stepping it.

amp17408
10-17-2004, 05:43 PM
I hemmed ours up by 5" and that seems to be a good length.

Bill
10-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Like Wendy, "we" cut it off and re-hemmed it. (Ahem, since I am a klutz, "we" means that my wife did the work and I get to talk about it.) If we were to do it again, we would also cut/hem a vertical slit on the bottom that would span the faucets, and another vertical slit at the top that would span the Hands-free Shower holder that we made from Hal's plan.

But yes, get it off the floor of the tub!

Bill

hal
10-17-2004, 06:28 PM
We attached two shower curtains. Then we cut darts out of the curtain so that it would remove the excessive skirt that filled the tub. Lead chain the size of bbs were sewed into the bottom hem. (lead chain is made for this purpose and can be purchased in a cloth or sewing store. We overlapped the open ends of the curtain by about 4 inches and placed matching velcro at the top to keep the curtain together. Next, we placed matching velcro at about doorknob high. This keeps the curtain together during showering. To finish it off, we attaced matching velcro to the wall on each side of the opening. After showering, we can drape the curtain open to allow for drying. Also, it looks very formal to use the bathroom and see the curtains draped open.

Hal

fcatwo
10-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Has anyone tried making a hoop out of some sort of flat plastic material that would drop inside the curtain and hold it against the sides of the tub. I've never used our shower; partly because I really hate fighting a clinging shower curtain -- always have, always will. I've read that at least one TM owner has fashioned a removable flexible plastic surround that completely replaces the curtain and a hoop would be an alternative to that. Just an idea.

Frank

hal
10-17-2004, 08:14 PM
I should have mentioned that the shower curtain was tailored to fit the tub seat. This elimated a lot of curtain in the seat area as well. I guess I should have listened more closely when there was a discussion on how to submit pictures. I have two drawings that should show the tailoring process.I may need some advice on dl pix if they don't come through with this message.

Hal

G-V_Driver
10-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Interesting ideas.

Probably moreso since I had the pleasure of drying the wet curtain bottom and placing it on a towel on the bed yesterday when we folded down to head home. That is a good way to travel with a wet curtain, by the way. Just place a dry towel on the bed immediately behind the shower and put the wet end of the curtain on the towel. As the bed retracts and the shell folds down the curtain stays on the towel and both are ususally dry the next time we stop.

Anyway, I kept looking at the curtain and thinking it should be about 4-6" shorter. Before our next trip it will be. I don't know if I can get the dart chairman energized for this project, but the other mods sound neat as well.

With respect to the shower, I think my transformation is complete. When we first bought the unit I didn't use the shower, thinking it was too small. Then I used it a couple of times, just to see how bad it really was. Now I jump in it like a rat running through a maze. Amazing how quickly we adapt.

kidsplayhouse
12-27-2004, 08:30 PM
We were trying a modification to the shower curtain and broke a couple of the shower curtain hooks. I looked in a hardware store but couldn't find a match for the hooks. Does anyone know where I might find them or should I just try the factory?

genesc
12-27-2004, 09:22 PM
I saw the shower hooks at Camping World, but I called that factory and they sent me a few. No charge.
genesc

smookie
01-03-2005, 07:08 PM
I shortened our shower curtain about 5 inches and I sewed about 25 pennies into the new hem. They weight it down (and are not dangerous lead). I stitched each penny into a section of the hem. Also, I used velcro to stick the curtain against the walls and a couple of clothespins to clip it together under the hands free shower head and above the faucets.

The nylon shower curtain dries very quickly and if you shower at night before taking down the TM for travelling in the morning, it is usually dry.

Before we got our 2004 TM with the nylon curtain, we had a 1998 TM that was used and came with no curtain. I bought two clear plastic shower curtains and shortened them. The plastic ones were heavy enough to not need weights. They let the light shine into the shower nicely. If my nylon curtain needs replacing, I may get the clear plastic ones again.

The shower is amazingly good and we enjoy ours a lot.

smookie