PDA

View Full Version : Toyota 4Runner as tow vehicle?

12-10-2002, 10:57 AM
We have a '98 3.4 liter V6 Toyota 4Runner, 4-wheel drive. We currently pull a 16ft deluxe Scamp without any problem (weighs about 2700 lbs loaded). I'm very interested in a Trailmanor, but am concerned about safety. GVWR is 5000 lbs. If possible at all, could we only safely go with the lightest model? Or a bit bigger/heavier/roomier? This is for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Selma

PAUL_R
12-10-2002, 01:47 PM
according to a 2001 trailmanor guide the following weights (dry) would allow you to go for the following models: 3023 dry weight 2730
             2720SL dry weight 2680

check out the factory wed page for 2003 weights. get a weight distribution set up and a good break controller and you should be able to enjoy some great towing.

Denny_A
12-10-2002, 02:05 PM
We have a '98 3.4 liter V6 Toyota 4Runner, 4-wheel drive.
----------snip--------
I'm very interested in a Trailmanor, but am concerned about safety. GVWR is 5000 lbs. If possible at all, could we only safely go with the lightest model?
-------------snip-----------
Selma

Selma,

I Assume, when you use GVWR, you mean a max weight of 5000# of the towed vehicle .

The largest TM is limited to 4915#, and the dual axle setup is rated to carry 5000#. The lightest TM is rated for   a tad over 4000#. That is, empty weight plus max load capacity.

It seems your Toyota 4Runner should easily handle any TM in the inventory, assuming it is equipped with a proper Weight distribution hitch (plus, possibly, but not necessarily, an anti-sway device). The TM design is such that it trailers much better than a full height trailer of equal weight. Much better, according to those on this group who have owned a TM and a "normal", high profile TT.

For example: My Honda Ody is tow limited to 3500#. I trailer between 3300# and 3500# (2720SL model) w/out any problem. The setup is very stable under all conditions. I've accumulated 10,000 miles in a variety of conditions. Works for me!

Denny_A

12-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Thank you, Paul and Denny. Denny, you are right, the car can tow 5000 lbs. The label on the door says the GVWR is 5250 lbs. I got the manual out, and it also says Toyota does NOT recommend using a weight distribution hitch, "use only a weight carrying hitch". They write it is necessary to use a sway control device if the trailer weighs over 2000 lbs, so that applies.

Selma

Windbreaker
12-11-2002, 10:14 AM
Yes sir, you are correct!

My 2720 with a few other extras came in at 3500 lbs with holding tanks empty and food enough for only one night. We had awing, microwave, swing hitch, two big batteries, and full gas tanks at the time. We carry our food and clothing in the tow truck and move it to the TM after we get where we are going.

12-11-2002, 12:05 PM
Here is a rule of thumb that you can use to determine towing capacities. It is just a rule of thumb with a safety factor built in. Take the GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating) subtract the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of the tow vehicle, what ever is left needs to be equal to or more than the GVWR of the trailer. There will always be exceptions to the rule. Here is a real world example for you: 1999 Ford Explorer V-6. GCVWR is 9000#, Explorer GVW is 5100#, 2000 Coleman Niagara ( I know it isn't a TM...yet) GVW 3250#
9000-5100=3900-3250=650 I am 650# to the good; however the Explorer is rated to tow 4500# using this method I can safely tow 3900#. What they don't tell you is that your tow rating assumes that the vehicle  only has the driver in it. No additional luggage or persons allowed. Hence the 600# difference between the tow rating and the calculated rating. Hope I did not muddy the water too much.
These are using the MAXIMUM allowable weights from the manufacturers. I do know that there have been a few successful lawsuits where a vehicle involved in an accident was over the GCVWR, even though not primarily at fault was considered a contributing factor, and therefore opened the owner up to a lawsuit. There are a lot of other factors to consider, sway control, WD hitch, where you are going to be towing (mountains vs. plains), as well as the seasons to consider. BTW the Niagara is a real bear to tow with the Explorer even with sway control, but somewhat easier behind the F-150 which has a longer wheelbase as well as a greater overall mass. I know the Coleman Niagara is not the best example of a good towing trailer :o but it is what I have at the moment.

Aaron

hal
12-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Selma, somewhere on this site, you should be able to locate a very concisely written method of determining the actual weights of your trailer.  I can't recall who wrote it.  I distributed it to members of our TrailBlazer chapter.  It was very well written and understandible by them. This one should be included in the TrailManor handbook.  I had a number of positive comments about it.  It seemed to clear the air for understanding load limits.  Possibly, the person who wrote it can re-enter it in this string, or direct you to its original location.  If not, I think that I might have it in a file on my computer.  

Hal

Denny_A
12-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Selma, somewhere on this site, you should be able to locate a very concisely written method of determining the actual weights of your trailer.  I can't recall who wrote it.  
_________snip_____________
 Possibly, the person who wrote it can re-enter it in this string, or direct you to its original location.  If not, I think that I might have it in a file on my computer.  

Hal

I don't know if this is what Hal is referring to, but here's what I wrote on 8/10/02:

" OK, here's the scoop.  

My math on the tire loading was correct. With equalizer installed and trailer loaded to max, TrailManor use 600 lbs as the tongue weight (or 14.7% of max gross, whereas I used 480 lbs). Therefore, 400 lbs (2/3) is transferred to the tow vehicle. So the force on the tires will be 4070 lbs (2720 model) - 400 lbs = 3670 lbs. The two tires are rated at  3740 lbs total. The 2720 has the greatest MGVW, therefore other models, 2619 and 3023 are less affected.

According to Mike Hulsey, the axle is rated for 3500 lbs. Howsomever - the wheel weight and axle weight are not counted in the total. Standard practise? Sprung vs. unsprung weight, and Mfr has already accounted for it's own axle. Axle plus wheels is more than 150 lbs. I will assume 170 lbs, for a reason which will be obvious.  

This means that the 3500 lb limit should be figured this way:

GVWR - WDH to tow vehicle - axle/wheel combo.

(4070 - 400 -200*) lbs = 3470 lbs
                                                        * =amended to actual value

Mike also mentioned they asume that when the WDH is connected the front of the tow vehicle is not lower (relatively) than the rear of the car. As in NOT transferring excess download to the trailer.

Mike Hulsey told me that an organization which weighs and tests travel trailers has reported to them that TrailManor's units have tested as advertised.

I hope I didn't cause any problems with my ramblings. If anything, I feel MORE confident that TM has applied sound enginering principles in designing and building their unique trailer. So, for me at least, this has been a useful, enlightening exercise!"
---------------end quote-------------

If this wasn't it, nevermind
:-/

Denny_A