PDA

View Full Version : Generators

Happytrails
03-31-2002, 09:56 AM
Does anyone run a generator? If so, what wattage is it, and is it enough to run everything? I just purchaced a 3100 watt one, and will have to purchase my ac unit accordingly. Of course I'll probably have to shut off the ac to use the microwave, but that's no big deal. The one I got has a Honda engine which is supposed to be the quietest. I wanted one that was small, quiet, and would push the ac unit. This one was all that, and only $600 new! I purchased it from Harbor Freight Tools (1-(800)-444-3353). Just curious about other peoples thoughts on this subject....

04-01-2002, 08:56 AM
We do a lot of "boondocking" where you have to bring EVERYTHING, including the water and electricity.  We've been using a GENERAC 4000EXL generator which will pull the Roof A/c on our 1999 3124King plus tv, etc.  Of course, we run the frig on propane and only use the generator when absolutely necessary.  It is not the quietest thing around and I certainly wouldn't use it in a campground or with close neighbors, but out in the woods, it's fine.  Enjoy your tm, we've loved ours.

Bill
04-01-2002, 11:33 AM
The big annoyance (I won't call it a problem) with air conditioners is that it takes a LOT of power to start them. This demand lasts for maybe 5 seconds, but once it is done, the amount of power required to keep the A/C running is much less. Thus if your microwave is running when your A/C tries to start, you might have a problem (popped circuit breaker). But if the A/C is already running when you start the microwave, you may very well be OK. Did that make sense?

The turn-on transient is even worse on units that don't have a delayed-start feature. The problem occurs when the room temperature is about right, and the A/C compressor is cycling on and off to maintain that temperature. When the compressor is running, it builds up pressure in the system. Then when the compressor cycles off, the pressure gradually dissipates.  If the compressor restarts too soon, it has to fight the residual pressure in the system, and that makes the turn-on transient even worse. Moral - look for a delayed start feature - maybe they all have them today, I don't know.

I'll be very interested to know your experience with your 3100-watt generator. I think you will be pleased.

Best regards

Bill

Happytrails
04-04-2002, 10:20 PM
Yes, I'm aware of the initial wattage needed to start an AC unit. Usually this can be up to 2.5 times the normal wattage. But did NOT know about the delayed start feature. That's something I will have to check into. I'm thinking my generator will be able to handle it. In the book that came with it, it said a 1hp air compressor runs about 2,000 watts. I've got one that's 2hp, and it started up, and ran fine off the generator. But definately thanks for the tip on the delayed start feature. I know someone who's been in the appliance business most of his life. He should know exactly what you're talking about. ;D

04-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Our 2720 has a 30amp service.  I think the 3023 is the same.  We use two EU2000i (2000 watt) Hondas in parallel to run the A/C.  The A/C is the stock window unit that came with the TM (I seem to think Fedders?)   After setting this up last fall, the weather was finally warm enough this past weekend to try out the parallel generators.

With the two generators in "economy" mode (a low idle) and in parallel, I fired up the A/C to see what would happen.  Aside from a power drop as the generators spooled up, all went just fine.

The two generators can provide about 32-33amp peak service together, so I think they're pretty nicely matched to our need.  Any more exceeds the breakers in the trailer.  Any less will pop the breakers in the generator.

Without the A/C, one generator by itself will keep our small microwave happy, our second biggest current draw.

One 3100 watt generator (they're usually numbered with peak output) can give you 25.8 amps of service.  Peak.  Not sustained.  The generator's brushes can overheat and fail if you try and sustain that kind of load.  Somewhere, buriied in your owner's manual, probably in a chart in the back, will be a "sustained" power rating.  For example, our EU2000s are rated 1600watts sustained.  That is the number you need to know.   Hope this helps.

Happytrails
05-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Sorry for the long delay in answering your post, was having problems logging on to the site, but am slowly getting back to some of the older questions........Thanks Jon, btw, mine's 2600 regular service. Sounds like I might have bought too small.....yikes! It does make me wonder tho how you run them together.......Call me dumb when it comes to such things, but isn't there only one plug? To run them parallel, do you have some special set up. I do understand that much at least, in series would be like having two batteries in your flashlight instead of one.....parallel keeps the same volts, just increases watts and amps? Lol, I understand DC voltage, but not super up on AC stuff.........Just wondering..........

Happytrails.....

Bill
05-27-2002, 03:54 AM
Bill -

The generators have to be specially built for parallel operation. Not many generators are built this way, but the Hondas are a nice example.

Do not EVER try to parallel two generators that were not built for it. You will destroy them both instantly, and they will very probably both get thrown around the room. Literally! You don't want to be in the same room as two flying flaming 200-pound hunks of steel.

Bill

Happytrails
05-27-2002, 07:27 AM
That's good to know. Mine's not an actual Honda generator, but does have a Honda engine in it. How it's set up is beyond me, but my guess it isn't. I chose it because of it's small size. 1.5' tall, 2' wide, and 3' long....not too big where I can pick it up and lug it around, yet pretty powerful for it's size. They had one for 500.00 that was a 4000 watt, but it was twice the size, with a briggs and Stratton engine. I chose mine also for the noise level. Just hope whatever I get it will run ok.  :-/

Happytrails

05-27-2002, 03:46 PM
Yep, the Honda EU's are set up so you can buy an extra cable that connects the two generators together.   This isn't a typical generator feature, it seems unique to the Hondas.   There are three EU generators, 1000, 2000, and 3000 watt.

The EU1000 cables are light weight, and each end plugs into one generator.  For the EU1000's, you can still get by with the 20amp 120v outlets.  But two EU1000's aren't enough to power even the smallest TM with A/C.

For the EU2000 and EU3000 Hondas, you need to buy a special (read expen$ive) cable to handle the 30+ amp service.  My EU2000 parallel cable plugs into each generator, and there's a special Marinco 120v 50amp receptacle attached in the cable.   Note in the earlier post the generator can handle a peak load over 30amp, so the folks at Honda had to go to a 50amp 120v receptagle.   These are uncommon.  Buying the mate to this receptacle turned out to be a bit of a chore, as it's actually a special California receptacle.   I found it on the web but I've lost the bookmark.   The folks at Northwest Power Tools can probably help find one, if that's not actually where I bought it.

I bought a 30amp RV pigtail at the local RV gear store, and wired it to the special male receptacle.   I'm comfortable doing this, and the receptacle wiring is standard, but fiddling with electricity may not be for everyone...

While this setup cost me more than just buying a single larger generator, realize that each of the EU2000's weigh under 50 pounds fueled, while a typical 3500watt generator weighs over 125 pounds.  And I can only use one when that's all I need -- most of the time.  Then I can keep one each at two locations, or have a backup.

KB7OUR
07-08-2002, 03:05 PM
I wanted to respond to this thread because I now have 2 of the Honda EU2000I generators (purchased on Web) and run them in parallel mode with s 30 amp outlet box I built from a thread on RV.NET insteal of buying the Honda cables at ~$270. Cost about $35 to built and you simply plug in two 3 prong outlets from the box to the generators (one in each) to achieve correct parallel operation. Runs the roof air like a champ. These gens are somewhat pricey but the benefit is light weight portability and they are so quiet. This is really a nice setup for anyone considering.

Wade

07-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know if the Honda EU3000 generates sufficient wattage to run the AC (by my calculations it should - but I wondered if anyone had any first hand knowledge) ?

KB7OUR
07-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Dan, I was able to start the AC and run it apx 30 seconds on low cool with a EU2000i on our 2720SL before it overloaded. You should not have a problem with the 3000 as long as you don't run much else. Two EU2000's are about the same price, lighter weight, smaller, and more power. Something you might consider also.

Wade

07-12-2002, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info and advice.  I am looking at a EU3000 for a little over $1500.  (I did look at two EU2000s, but the 3000 is a little more quiet - not but much - but a little)....

07-12-2002, 05:03 PM
Dan,

I hope you got a truck.  Then it will fit nicely in the bed and you can plug it in and operate it from there.  But it's not light.  You won't be carrying it around.  If you haven't been to your local Honda shop to scope them out.  You may want to.  They are both nice units.

Happy Trails.............George

dirtfan
07-15-2002, 01:35 PM
I just got my first Honda EU2000I today for my newly purchased used '96 2720SL.  From what you all advise, I plan to buy a second and make my own parallel cable to handle the A/C especially.  I have a question...has anyone who has this generator figured out a handy, easy, clean way to add oil?  I'm thinking of a clear little bottle with a spout or a turkey baster or something like that.  The little jewel is nice and quiet and think we'll be pleased with it.  BTW we got it from Alamia for $845 (free ship) if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Dirtfan

07-15-2002, 02:27 PM
has anyone who has this generator figured out a handy, easy, clean way to add oil?
LoL!   I just use one of those oil-change pans and dump the oil out.   The auto stores might sell a small pump, but it'll get messy.

Come to think of it, my Honda mower is a pain to change oil, too.  Maybe Hondas don't need oil changes very often.   I think changing oil is overrated, anyway :o

KB7OUR
07-16-2002, 07:23 AM
I've got a Honda EU2000i and the manual says to just tip the unit onto its side with an oil pan underneath to drain oil. I bought one of those black plastic rectangular drain pans from Wallyworld and it works great for this. Less that 1 quart to drain so it's not a big deal.

Wade

09-08-2002, 06:09 AM
Any opinions whether a 5 hp Honda OHC, 2800 watt max, 2300 watt continuous generator will power the a/c?

Happytrails
09-08-2002, 03:43 PM
I have a question for the electrical technical guys of this group.....my generator has 4 plug-ins, all 110v, no 220v connections, (I don't need it). My question is this, obviously I only need one plug in for my TM, does all the wattage run to that one plug when needed? Just a thought that came to me today....I'm guessing this is the case and that I'm not drawing of 1/4th the power of my generator.
On another note, I've FINALLY finished most of the structual repairs of my ancient TM today.......Just have to replace the "catches" which after finding the old bolts that held em in, weren't nearly the same size as the replacements.......so gotta run to the hardware store and spend another $0.50.............lol I need to put some more shims in the curb side pocket stops to line it up correctly, but all is well and it's standing totally on it's own right now! Just a minor fix with the water heater, and another one with the grey water sewage line, and I'll be on the road finally! The street side repairs weren't nearly as forgiving as the curb side, but did get it done today.....(3/4" too much aluminum that was already installed and the pocket stops wouldn't fit). But got through it anyway just the same.........

Happytrails.......

DancinCampers
09-09-2002, 02:23 AM
The setup on my 4200 Watt Gen is two 120 Volt sockets, each with its own 20 amp circuit breaker.  So even though the gen puts out 35 amps, I can only draw 20 amps from one outlet.  If I use both outlets I need to insure my total is less than 35 amps.

Dan

12-05-2002, 01:12 PM
hi everybody,

anybody have this new Yamaha EF3000ise
model? ...Yamaha claims this model will beat Honda EU  model on noise level and options built in.
http://www.southwestfastener.com/linkEF3000ise.htm

12-05-2002, 02:06 PM
anybody have this new Yamaha EF3000ise
model? ...Yamaha claims this model will beat Honda EU model on noise level and options built in.

I'm sure this is a good generator - Yamaha makes quality equipment.

The wheels, however, are a clue.   This puppy is heavy (147 pounds).   Not that the 134 pound EU3000i is any lightweight.   You'll need a buddy to help lift either one.   This is the main reason I went with the dual EU2000 approach.

12-06-2002, 10:28 AM
we just ordered the last EU2000i honda generator from Mayberrys.com .they just have two units .... the sale prep. will be out of stock until after holiday....what a luck!!! $859 with free Fedex ground shipping and no sale tax .NOBODY CAN BEAT IT!!!!

KB7OUR
12-06-2002, 11:18 AM
2619er,

You will love your new eu2000i gen. They are so light and quiet. If you decide to purchase 2 then you can run them in parallel with nearly 30 amps avail. Cost to build your own cable is <$50 or a few hundred for the Honda brand.

Wade

12-07-2002, 01:13 PM
$859 with free Fedex ground shipping and no sale tax .NOBODY CAN BEAT IT!!!!

www.northwestpowertools.com is where I bought both of mine.   Same price as mayberry's, also free shipping.

These folks are out of stock according to their web site.   I found them quite helpful when it came to ordering and setting up the parallel cable.  (I have an extra EU1000i parallele cable somewhere if someone should have a use for one).

Sinclue
12-12-2002, 04:48 AM
I too have been looking at generators.  We don't hardly ever use our AC so we can probably get away with something smaller.  Nevertheless I've been looking into the Hondas, esp. the eu2000 that everybody is talking about.  With the Ice Storm and usual winter hassels on the east coast they, and most brands actually, are hard to find right now.  But I stopped in to talk to this guy who does small engine repair (like lawn mowers, etc.) mostly single/dual  cylinder type things.  He told me that Hondas had oil leak problems.  He said there was a service bulletin out on  the
EU2000I unit for a possible oil leak in the oil sensing unit. The  EU1000I and EX700 has a service bulletin for excessive oil  consumption.  Anybody have this problem?  Also, on the Casita (another small trailer) Club Forum (like this board, maybe a little more contentious) there were several negative observations about the Hondas.  Apparently Yamaha has a new 1000w super light/quiet generator (Yamaha EF1000iS).  The published information looks good.  Any experiences with Yamaha generators in the group?  I actually found a place that has them in stock ($639 with free shipping).  
jim

Sinclue
12-12-2002, 04:52 AM
Oh yeah, if you are interested, the link for the Casita Club (some interesting threads and info there too): http://forums.casitaclub.com/thread_view.cfm?Thread=4467
jim

KB7OUR
12-12-2002, 12:57 PM
sinclue/Jim,

It is my understanding from Honda that the eu2000i generator oil leak problem was rectified some time ago. I have had no such problems with ~100 hrs on both of mine. They simply purr away. I also like the auto throttle option, which works "on demand". Very nice feature. I don't think you would be dissapointed with one of these or the smaller 1000 if you don't need to run a microwave.

Wade

12-14-2002, 12:23 PM
No problem with either of my Honda Generators, either...  Jon

12-15-2002, 12:36 AM
Hi Everybody,
After the ice storms here generators have been a very hot selling item :o Here are a couple of links that came to me from various sources.
www.generatorquotes.com  and   www.norwall.com

Happy Generating ;D

Aaron

Happytrails
12-15-2002, 10:22 AM
Wahoo, I checked out that link you posted. The Honda Powered E3100 is the exact same model I have. I've been really pleased with it. I especially liked the price which was less at Harbor Freight. I did make a dolly to make it easier to move around, but the unit can be lifted by one strong person if need be, definately by two people, and it will power my ac unit as well as a microwave, (though not at the same time).

Happytrails......

Sinclue
12-28-2002, 09:36 AM
So after the usual amount of research and agonizing we've decided to go with the Honda EU2000.  Its really overkill for us (we haven't turned on our AC since the dealer prep walkthrough two years ago and don't use a microwave), but I like to anticipate that there might be some greater need in the future so the 2000w instead of the 1000w.  Especially since the price difference isn't that great.  Alamia.com seems to be the best price.  With cables and free shipping its the same price as Mayberrys who charge another $15 for the cables.
What we'll probably use it for the most is keeping the battey charged up, especially when we go cold weather camping and use the heater a lot. Although the larger output will allow for future needs. In the past we've carried an extra battery, but if its cold at night we can really only go three or four nights before the batteries both need charging.  Is it reasonable to expect that using a generator for some hopefully short period of time each day would keep the battery charged enough if heat and lights are our only usage?  And to do that do people connect the generator directly to the battery (cables are extra$) or do you plug the trailer  into the generator itself?  In the charging mode do the generators run full throttle or at a reduced rate?  
As I understand it the generators run on "regular" gas.  Does that mean 87 or 89 octane, or does that matter?  Here in California we only have 87 and 91, although as I understand it a gallon of 87 and a gallon of 91 equals two gallons of 89.
Thans, in advance, for your input.
Jim

12-28-2002, 11:35 AM
jp, I can answer your question on charging, don't use the 12volt charger on the generator it will take for ever. We ususally use a stand alone battery charger, the generators I deal with have a automatic, throttle they only rev up when necessary to meet the load demand. I have never bothered to see how much of a load the battery charger puts on the generator. As far as the gasoline question is concerned I dunno, regular is regular but with the smallish amount you would be using I think it wouldn't hurt to use the higher octane. I have several Honda products, (lawnmowers, scooter, etc.) they all call for 91 octane.

HappyTrails,
Our friendly Harbor Freights don't have the Honda generators. I and I could not find them on their website.

Aaron 8)

Sinclue
12-28-2002, 06:41 PM
Aaron,
I kind of suspected the generator wouldn't charge very fast from their specs.  But I am still curious about the onboard charger in the trailer itself.  If you plug the trailer directly into the generator would the onboard charger work fast enough or would a separate charger still be the best idea?  
jim

12-29-2002, 12:56 PM
Jim,
I am not sure of the charging capacity of the on board charger/converter on the TM perhaps someone else can shed light on that issue. I do know that the one that comes on the Coleman takes quite a while to bring a low battery back up, I suspect it charges some where in the range of 2-5 amp hours. I usually remove my battery and place it on an automatic charger in my storage building, you can also plug the TM into your tow vehicle and charge the battery that way, but not the most efficent use of an engine. There was a thread a while back on some type of charger that would keep the battery topped up, with out over charging it. Maybe try running a search on this board on battery charging and see what comes up.

Aaron 8)