PDA

View Full Version : All-4-Fun Pictures

Cateye
08-16-2004, 09:02 AM
These are pictures of our 7 day TrailManor vacation to All-4-Fun (July 31 - August 7). This is a Jeep "happening" with over 350 jeeps and 4WD vehicles in attendance. This event rotates to a different location in CO each year and people come from all over the US for the fun. This year it was held in Georgetown, CO. There is lots of Dancing, Food, Entertainment each night under a Big-Top tent and of course 5 off-road 4WD treks (trails) in the surrounding mountains. 4WD trails varied from very difficult/technical to trails suitable for stock 4WD vehicles. Of course all trails were incredibly scenic. Altitudes on the peaks and passes were from 12,800' to 13,300 ft. On one of the pictures (Red Cone Peak), you can see some very "tiny" jeeps coming off the top of the peak. This trail is generally considered the most dangerous 4WD trail in CO. The picture of the Jeep coming down the steep side of the peak (with the red colored rocks) is another view of the same trail. Extremely low gear ratios and a very slow and controlled speed (no braking!) are required to prevent the rear of the vehicle from coming around and causing the vehicle to roll.

Our TrailManor worked superbly. On the second afternoon a windstorm came throug camp and blew over many tents and actually blew a pop-up over and onto the top of a Class A motor home. The TrailManor was unaffected even though it was totaly exposed to this blast of wind...impressive.

Cateye
08-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Here is another picture that didn't make it in the last post...still trying to learn how to use this feature....This is picture of the steep descent off or Red Cone Peak

Cateye
08-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Another try to post the picture of Red Cone Mountain

Cateye
08-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately, I "got stupid" and neglected to take a picture of the camper. It was totaly demolished. In fact, the Geogetown fire department was going to cut it up to practice using their emergency saws etc. As it turns out it was a rental and the rental company promptly provided a replacement to the campers. No one was hurt although this could have easily happened since no one was inside and their children were not playing around it. The motorhome also had severe damage.

hal
08-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Cateye, your pictures brought back some memories (and a tear or two) of our trip down Red Cone. Your pictures are great but do not reflect on the terror of sliding down the slope on shale. Someone had dug deep holes every six feet for our Toyota Landcrusier to slide into in order to stop. The slide is so steep that I was standing on the firewall of our vehicle. Our trip down Red Cone is the topic of frequent conversations among family members who were with us. The wind at the top was so strong that you could lean over and not fall. We had a small white poodle with us that I feared would be caught by the wind and would sail off the 2,000 foot drop.

Maybe for really scairy stories on halloween, we should get together and share our experiences on this mountain.

Back in the days when I was young(er) and foolish.

Hal

Cateye
08-16-2004, 02:27 PM
It was blowing 50 mph and so cold we could only stay on the summit for about 10 minutes. When we finished Red Cone we did Radical Hill. It was nearly as scary. I got a real pucker on the last switchback before the top. My wife kept repeating that my wheels were on the edge and my only reply was that my wheel was a 1/4 inch from the rock...not much room and an 800 ft drop!

Great fun>>>

B_and_D
08-16-2004, 11:03 PM
That looks like so much fun, if you have the right vehicle and know what you're doing! Do you tow the TM with your Jeep, or?

I read the deathvalley.com website once in a while, and it sounds like there are some challenging 4WD roads there. We drove a mile or so on one of the dirt roads, they can be pretty rough, lots of big rocks, and didn't want to loosen up all the bolts in our truck or puncture a tire, plus it was almost dark, and we only had a couple of days there.

We may have to go back there this winter...it's so hard to figure out where to go when there are so many great places to take your TM.

Cateye
08-17-2004, 07:32 AM
As you can tell by the photos our CJ7 has been highly modified (understatement) including replacing the motor with a 4.3L Vortec V6. However, it is not a good tow vehicle due to the short wheel base and 35" tires. Therefore, when we take the TM jeeping my wife drives the CJ7 and I tow the TM with our '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its a little inconvenient but we can communicate over our CB radios. When we do not take the TM (tent camping or motel) we trailer the CJ7 and tow it with the Grand Cherokee.

You're right, there is a lifetime of camping and sightseeing in our great country. We are indeed lucky. I can think of no other place in the world where you can take a 4WD up and over the top of a peak like Red Cone...