PDA

View Full Version : NE New Mexico?

G-V_Driver
08-08-2004, 06:53 AM
We're leaving Dallas for Santa Fe/Taos then touring north thru Colorado to the Black Hills/Badlands starting next week. Looking for a nice campground for first night on the road, somewhere in Eastern New Mexico probably northish of Tucumcari. Anybody know of any gems? Anybody else going to be in that part of the world?

Wayne

Bill
08-08-2004, 08:09 AM
It may be further than you wanted to go, but if you can get to Bandelier National Monument (northwest of Santa Fe), you won't want to leave. Absolutely gorgeous campgrounds and campsites! And an amazing area to walk/hike/bike in. A bit of altitude, cool, an entire town of prehistoric Indian ruins on the valley floor, individual dwellings cut into a cliff face, great visitor's center ... And not crowded. Check it out.

Bill

Chris
08-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Wayne,
One of my favorites is Black Canyon in the Santa Fe National Forrest. It's small, well forrested, and still nice. They'll be re-vamping it next year. Up in Red River - if you decide to go that high, the Columbine campground is wonderful. We spent a week there with the trailer next to the river. Great place. Feel free to get me directly if there is one that you might have questions on. The ones in the Jemez mountains are nice, but not the same as the ones up north. Just my $.02.
Ct..

rxdave
08-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Another thought would be Eagle Nest Lake, West of Springer. It is the newest State Park in New Mexico, between Springer and Taos. There are several private campgrounds, none exceptional but the area is so beatiful and the fishing (if you're into that) is usually great ( Trout,Salmon and Perch). There is also camping in Cimarron Cayon just east of the lake. There is a campground at the top of Raton Pass that is a pretty place. Haven't camped there so don't know what the facilities are like.
If you want a neat place in southen Colorado, check out The Great Sand Dunes Nat. Monument southeast of Alamosa. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Happy Camping, Dave

Chris
08-08-2004, 02:13 PM
I've stayed at Eagle Nest as well. We stopped there when Red River was full of Texans. :( it's a nice campground, and we enjoyed our stay. Not as many trees as I like, but that was partially because of the spot that I had.

State Parks Links - http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/nmparks/PAGES/REGIONS/Tour.htm
National Forest Campgrounds - http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/maps/NM_CAMP.html

Ct..

G-V_Driver
08-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Wow! That was quick! Thanks for the input. We will post an update when we get home.

Wayne

revmrbill
08-09-2004, 03:19 PM
We have stayed in Santo Rosa KOA also, but our favorite which also might be little far is in Chama, it is and older but nice RV park called the Chama RV Resort Sits on the Chama River lots of fish when the river is up and plenty of wildlife around the camground in the early morning, Deer, etc. Wonderful bakery there and good restaurant also home of the Cumbries Toltec narrow guage railroad, makes a wonderful side trip.