PDA

View Full Version : Travasak questions

BobWilson
08-02-2004, 09:24 AM
RockyMtnRay wrote about the Travasak bedding. How many have used this system? How do you store this when traveling? Do you fold it in half lengthwise and then roll it up? Do you store it in the TM or leave it on the bed? We use extra mattresses.
or roll it up and bring it in the Tow Vehicle?

When at home do you unroll it on the carpet and take off the sheets to wash them and then put them back on the comforter to roll up and store away until next time?

Do the sheets velro onto the comforter? Does this work well? Is it easy to line up when putting it on?

The website http://www.travasak.com/home.html
doesn't answer this very well.

Bob

cardsfan39
08-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Bob

We've had a queen size Travasak for the back bed in our TM 3023 for 2 years and are really sold on it. We roll ours up and put it into its stuff bag when we are traveling. We have an extra 2 inch matress pad that we leave on the bed when traveling, otherwise we could leave the Travasak on the bed. I fold each side lengthways into the middle and the roll it up from the bottom.

The velcroed sheets work well. I find it is best to unzip the Travasak fully (still connected on the bottom) and lay it flat on the floor to put the sheets in. The summer/winter sides work well in a lot of temperature situations. Being able to simply roll out your bed makes the slideout beds on the TM useable.

Bill & Clara

YWORRYDOG
08-02-2004, 12:34 PM
If you are looking for a Travasak ask Kati about prices at
[email protected] Tell her Chuck Dennis sent you. You will save BIG money from her rather then Camping World.

Brightsu
08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
We have one also, I wish they had made them king size, but the queen seems to do well in the 3326, I'm just getting use to using it, it makes up beautifully and when I need to wash it I just bring it in the house and lay it on my bed and roll it up when finished cleaning and store it under the bed in the TM it seems to work better to put it all together before you travel and then when you get there I just pull it out and roll it out, I've not used it but for the summer so far so I'll check it out this winter.

Pam

RockyMtnRay
08-08-2004, 07:05 AM
RockyMtnRay wrote about the Travasak bedding. How many have used this system? How do you store this when traveling? Do you fold it in half lengthwise and then roll it up? Do you store it in the TM or leave it on the bed? We use extra mattresses.
or roll it up and bring it in the Tow Vehicle?

It stays spread out on the bed in the trailer...as I don't use an extra mattress, there's plenty of room between the TM's mattress and the roof to just leave it spread out on the bed. I don't plan to ever roll up my Travsak. The Travsak comforter, especially with the "winter" side down, does provide a fair bit of padding and may (for some folks anyway) obviate the need for an extra mattress on top of the TM's own mattress.

When at home do you unroll it on the carpet and take off the sheets to wash them and then put them back on the comforter to roll up and store away until next time?

Got the Travsak at the beginning of this season and it has stayed in the TM. After each trip I change the sheets for washing with the Travsak laying on the bed. When I bought my Travsak I bought an extra set of sheets/pillowcase so one set can be in the laundry while the other is installed in the comforter. As mentioned above, I don't plan to ever roll up my Travsak...just leave it on the bed during winter storage.

Do the sheets velro onto the comforter? Does this work well? Is it easy to line up when putting it on?

Velcro in. Works well once you figure them out as the sheet is both a top sheet and bottom sheet that are joined at the bottom. Both the top and bottom halves velcro (separately) to the top and bottom halves of the comforter (which are labeled "winter" and "summer"). I've gotten so that I can easily change the sheets inside the TM.

A final note...the "winter" and "summer" sides really have much different insulating qualities. Since my summer camping is mostly in high altitude campgrounds where the nightime temperatures are usually in the 30s..even in mid Summer...I've primarily used the "winter" side this summer. I've found that the Travsak is actually warmer than the sleeping bag I used in previous seasons...and that bag was "rated" at 35 degrees.

I did use the "summer" side one time...was camping way down in the lowlands (at only 6500 feet) back in May and the trailer didn't get much below 60 degrees that night. Was neither too cool nor too warm.

G-V_Driver
08-27-2004, 10:31 AM
AFter a couple of trips using conventional bedding, it was obvious that we needed a better way and a Travasak seemed like an obvious choice due to:

1. Simplicity. No bed-making other than a few seconds of straightening and tidying. Stays in place all the time. No problem folding trailer with sak on bed.

2. Functionality. Great for Rocky Mountain areas. If it's cold, turn winter side up. If it's warm, flip it over.

3. Appearance. Blue color blends well with TM interior.

4. Pricing. We bought the Travasak from lignite before our recent trip. Much better pricing than retail stores.

I was initially concerned about roominess since the largest sak is queen size. We use king size at home and TM has king size as well, so I questioned the wisdom of giving up the extra foot of space. Turned out to be no problem. Just stick your toes into the corner at the bottom and work towards the middle. Still lots of room even for XXL occupants like me.

For warm weather camping, Kate Unruh (The Car Show in COS) says she buys a king-size sheet with big corner pockets and then sews a matching top sheet to the bottom sheet across the bottom edgeof both, creating a one-piece device that is easy to use and maintain. We will fabricate one before our next warm-weather trip.

Wayne

Cateye
08-27-2004, 11:26 AM
we have the Travasak bedding and find it comfortable to sleep in and easy to make up. We have to add a wool blanket in high country when it gets below 40 degrees. I would highly recommend it even though its a bit pricey....Cateye

jbeletti
08-27-2004, 08:38 PM
We've used the queen Travasak for every trip in our TM so far (about 9 times - maybe 30 days). So far, we love it for all the reasons mentioned above. We also use a queen pillow-top and I was storing the Travasak on the bed with the TM down, but with the pillow-top, it's too high. I now use them to stabilize a few tubs of items in the front of the TM. We pack a lot of the lighter items into tubs/bins with folding lids. We stack them starting at the stowed table. I also put the upper cabinet and the storage drawer on the floor up front. I then drape the pillow-top and the Travasak over it all and it works well to hold things together.

Jim

Northwoods
08-28-2004, 12:47 PM
We don't have a Travasack, but I have sewn top to bottom sheets on both bunks. Also, sewed sides up about 24 " on each side. Use a polar fleece comfort that I found in a thrift store($3). Works great . Had temps down to 40 degrees while in glacier. We use the comfort to pad the cabinet. Am actively looking for another comfort and will retire completely extra covers and 2 almost new sleeping bags. They are too bulky and slick. Will keep one lightweight wool afghan and my stocking cap for really cold nights. Used the furnace in Glacier and it was so noisy that we only used it to take the chill off in the mornings. Happy camping. Olga (Northwoods)

fcatwo
08-28-2004, 02:04 PM
We are use to the extra room of our king bed at home and use both beds of our 2619 with the 42"X80" twin size Travasaks. It occurs to me that two twin size T-saks is an option for king bed TM owners looking for a little more room- could also provide easier exit from the middle if used front to back. Any inherent complications should be easily solved.

G-V_Driver
08-28-2004, 08:02 PM
The people who sell them concur with your theory, but caution that they can't be zipped together to make one king-size sak.

Wayne

APerkins
01-07-2005, 10:24 PM
It occurs to me that two twin size T-saks is an option for king bed TM owners looking for a little more room- could also provide easier exit from the middle if used front to back. Any inherent complications should be easily solved.

Any king sized bed owners tried this yet?

murphyb74
01-10-2005, 10:41 AM
FYI - RV Parts Outlet ( https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com ) has the queen-size Travasak on special at $134.95