PDA

View Full Version : TM Fixer upper

robertsonclan
01-12-2022, 07:58 PM
Hello everyone! I picked up a 2002 2720sl in rough shape. I’m excited to rehab it. Already tore most of the nasty out (see pictures). The flaps will need replacing. The one major problem is it’s shell does not align, even with jacks leveling it. Has many rub marks on the inside. Hoping there are technical posts on it!

jagizzi
01-13-2022, 07:27 AM
Hi Robertsonclan, looks like you are taking on a project! We went as deep on our 2005 2720 and also replaced all of the bathroom fixtures, sink, tub and toilet. Tons of help on this forum and the Facebook page. I am still putting things together and am just beginning the plumbing. Have fun.

There is a leveling post in the technical docs section and a video someone made on the Facebook page.

robertsonclan
01-13-2022, 09:04 AM
Thanks!
Could you share the FB group name?

Shane826
01-13-2022, 11:10 AM
Facebook page is TrailManor Fans…

robertsonclan
01-13-2022, 12:57 PM
By chance are you replacing the couch? Any suggestions on a new one?

Tymanthius
01-14-2022, 09:42 AM
By chance are you replacing the couch? Any suggestions on a new one?

I don't know the brand, but if you look at my pictures page I have pics of one that works well. My furnace is removed and I don't plan to re-add it, but you could make a new housing for it.

jagizzi
01-16-2022, 08:03 AM
We have the queen bed option so don't have the couch. I can't be much help there, sorry.

Wavery
01-17-2022, 04:24 PM
Hello everyone! I picked up a 2002 2720sl in rough shape. I’m excited to rehab it. Already tore most of the nasty out (see pictures). The flaps will need replacing. The one major problem is it’s shell does not align, even with jacks leveling it. Has many rub marks on the inside. Hoping there are technical posts on it!Does it have A/C?

Leveling the roofs isn't hard. I had to do it to my 1998 2720. That was a long time ago and I don't remember exactly how to do it. I just remember feeling silly for being intimidated about it when I was done. These are the adjusting bolts but there is a sequence that you must follow.

We always used industrial "Orange Cleaner" (available at Home Depot) to remove the rub marks. It works great. Just spray it on, leave it sit for a few minutes and rub it off with a terrycloth rag. It even works well on the outside, where the roof seal rubs on the outside walls. Be sure to keep your seals clean too.

robertsonclan
02-07-2022, 10:41 AM
Thank you!

Bill
02-07-2022, 11:41 AM
RobertsonClan -

Here is a bit more detail to expand on Wavery's post.

There are a total of 8 torsion bars, and so a total of 8 adjuster bolts (the things Wavery circled in his photo).
o Front shell front pair
o Front shell rear pair
o Rear shell front pair
o Rear shell rear pair.
Each bar runs across the entire width of the TM, underneath it. One end of each bar terminates in a white rectangular "lift arm", which is outside the wall of the TM. The other end terminates at the adjuster bolt under the edge of the TM on the other side. In other words, a bar that provides lift to the left side of a shell is adjusted on the right side of the TM - and vice versa.

Before you adjust any torsion bar, be sure you are adjusting the one you intend to adjust. You need to kneel down, look under the TM, and follow the intended bar across to its adjuster bolt. It is easy to get a pair of bars mixed up and adjust the wrong one.

Do the adjustments with the shell raised - this releases the tension from the torsion bar. Don't try to adjust when the shells are down. You will need a 1-1/8 inch socket, or a pair of big channel-lock pliers, to turn the adjuster bolt. Unless you need a lot of adjustment, turn the adjustment bolts 1/4 turn at a time, and do both sides equally.

Finally, with regard to marks on the outside walls caused by the bag seals rubbing as the shells go up and down. Be aware that the bag seals will eventually wear through the paint and expose the bare aluminum skin beneath. At that point, you can still remove the black smear, but the silvery aluminum will show through. Not pretty. Before you reach this point, a coat of wax will slow the process, but not stop it. Before the scrape wears through, a strip of clear UHMW tape over the scrape will pretty much stop the wear. Otherwise, you will probably end up painting the worn strip. Use the forum's Search tool to find discussions of UHMW tape.

This same UHMW tape is also very useful at the wear marks on the inside of the TM, such as across the ceiling of the front shell.

Bill

Wavery
02-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Thanks Bill,

I had forgotten all that stuff (along with a lot of other stuff....:D)

robertsonclan
02-08-2022, 09:23 AM
Very helpful! Thank you.

1mcurtis
04-16-2022, 08:16 AM
I replaced the seals on the bottoms of the shell and on the interior roofline and sides with rubber sweep. It's mainly used on the slide outs of TV's. Worked like a champ and looks a whole lot better on the inside.

Wavery
04-16-2022, 10:17 AM
I replaced the seals on the bottoms of the shell and on the interior roofline and sides with rubber sweep. It's mainly used on the slide outs of TV's. Worked like a champ and looks a whole lot better on the inside.Pics?