PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

02-23-2003, 01:26 AM
Hello, I have a ? about insurance.  I was wondering if the insurance on a TM is expensive? Thanks Johnna     ???      

Windbreaker
02-23-2003, 02:17 AM
Tricky question, what I tell you will not help any because where you live sets your insurance rates as well as your driving record, time with company, other policies held with same company, etc. But, I pay $25.83/month with State Farm. I haven't checked on it but you might want to check with Good Sam Vehicle Insurance Plan. You design what you get with them.
Another thing to look for is your state's required items, in Texas these carry over from the tow truck, I don't know about elsewhere.

oilspot
02-23-2003, 12:26 PM
I added my TM to our auto policy for about $75/year.
It covers most of the "big stuff" like property damage from accidents, theft, vandalism, etc.

My insurance is with Cincinnati Insurance Company, they are obscure, but have very good rates & service (as far as I can tell)

Sinclue
02-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Here in the SF area we are paying about $28 per month through Camping World.  As pointed out above coverage usually depends on where you live, how old your trailer is, how much coverage you want, etc.  We seem to be "blessed"  :-/ with the highest costs for everything around here so most will probably be able to do better than we do.

arknoah
02-26-2003, 01:11 AM
We've has our insurance through Foremost, since they focus a lot on RVs.  They will cover a greater portion of the cost of replacement than is common with auto policies, and you can reach them online at

http://www.foremost.com/products/rv/travel_trailer.htm.

To insure our unit based on about a total replacement value of $26K, that charged about $440 for the year, or about $36 per month.

MMARFISI
03-01-2003, 03:27 PM
We are with Progressive and pay $106 per year for full coverage with $200 deductable.  Coverage includes trip interruption and towing to TM dealer.

trent88
05-04-2006, 11:41 PM
This is an old thread, but it would ne beneficial to the viewers whi are in the same situation. I suuggest that you shop around for insurance online. I checked on the net found it to be easier to go online when shopping for insurance. The place I went to is http://www.insurancepaylite.com they were able to give a quote that was acceptable to me in the speediest time. Anyways hope this helps you guys.

Grouse
05-05-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't know if the following will help anyone but here goes:

RV (TM) insurance is relatively inexpensive.
Liability while being towed comes from the TV
Liability while camping may come from your homeowners insurance if used as a temporary residence premises
Your TM is not covered by your homeowners insurance
Your insurance company may add the TM to your auto policy or it may choose to add it to your homeowners policy. Occasionally they will provide a separate policy.
In most cases you will want to contact your agent. Most of us will have our home/auto insurance with the same agent as most companies offer a multiple policy discount for combining the two. This is usually your best source for coverage. If not, then you will probably want to contact your auto insurer as most companies add RVs to the auto policy.
The best coverage available is from a specialty insurer such as Foremost or thru the Good Sam Club.
Which ever you choose, the agent will request the information they need. Most insurers do not distinguish between a camper (pop up), travel trailer or 5th Wheel. After all, the risk factors are about the same and it is the amount you insure it for that matters. Some companies base rates on the cost new only and other companies base rates on the actual cash value (blue book or NADA).
Confirm if items such as the awning are covered as part of the trailer or does coverage need to be added. Rare, but some companies will request that coverage be added.

Your (friendly?) camping insurance agent

All insurance companies have different requirements, different coverage and different rates. Although not always the case, you will probably find the quality of your coverage (not the $$$$$ of coverage but rather what you have coverage for) will cost more than budget policies offered by some carriers.

No matter what you wish to cover (loan balance, replacement or what ever), you must meet the requirements of the policy or you could find your self without coverage. That is why it so important to work with your agent.

From my perspective, doing business with a reputable company and a trusted agent usually gives the best value. Nothing wrong with .com insurance companies but then you are in the unenviable position of being your own agent if/when you experience difficulty or problems.

You have one of the best built travel trailers on the market. My guess is that you want the best mix of coverage/price as well.

happy camping!

sinjin
05-05-2006, 07:07 PM
So what is a reasonable amount? I was quoted $461 per year for a new 2720sl by the folks who do my auto and home. That is more than 1/2 of what I pay for my home which is worth at least worth 20x more. This seems slightly outrageous to me.:confused:

Grouse
05-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Sinjin,

There are many variables that can affect the rate. Even the state you live in can make a difference. For example, do you reside in a state where you can camp almost year round or a a cold weather state with a limited camping season? Insurance scores, quality of coverage, replacement or actual cash value & etc. Unfortunately, there can be a wide difference in rates on RVs, but that is also true of auto and house insurance. Rates can even vary from one side of a state to another, rural area vs metro area.

Since an RV is a vehicle (even though it is a towable), it is reasonable to expect the price to be higher than your homeowners insurance if you're looking at cost per thousand. Also true of your car. When your TM hits the road it is at a higher risk for damage than your home.

Regarding the pricing, if you belong to the Trailblazers check with other members in your area to see what they have. When camping in your home state check with fellow campers. If you're not happy with the rate, check another insurer (advice that I frequently give my own clients because I want them to be satisfied!). You may wish to talk with your agent and get an explanation. If you have an independant agent (one with several companies available) ask for a comparison quote. However, let me clear: I am not on this forum to sell insurance and I will not be giving quotes. I will not offer an opinion regarding pricing.

Any time you either don't understand a coverage or a price, please ask your agent. If they can't answer it, maybe it's time to move to another. It's true that some things in insurance world only make sense to insurance people, but your agent should still be able offer a resonable explanation.

Here's hoping none of you ever need to use your coverage!

Happy camping.

sinjin
05-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Grouse thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to see it, I've been really busy and just missed it. After I posted I realized that there are many factors that go into the quote, and my post was kind of silly. I've since checked around a little and will probably go with a package thru progressive that I got off of RVnet. It's 25% less than with my auto/home company and includes better coverage including towing the camper if necessary and replacement cost coverage for the first five years.

Thanks again.

Grouse
05-10-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm happy that you were able to find insurance coverage that works well for you! Congratulations!

If you're satisfied with your agent and/or coverage then there is probably no reason to check around. But if you're not then you owe it to yourself to see what is available. You might switch or you might stay, but either way you're bound to be happier.

Wishing all of you trouble free camping.