PDA

View Full Version : GPS information

jgilliam1955
06-20-2004, 05:08 PM
:DI have had the Garmin StreetPilot 2610 GPS since Xmas. It is very nice BUT after taking a few trips it has a weakness. Knowing most of the way myself on a couple of 8 hour trips the GPS wanted to take me off of the interstate and onto the side roads. One trip never even got on the Highway. My father has one & he has mentioned to me that when he travels from Los Vegas to Virginia the GPS will want to get off of the interstate & end up going down these back roads. He has learned to use them but have a paper map with you.
The last trip I took, if I would of followed the GPS it would of added 30 mins to the trip. But it still is a very good tool.
Once I get to a location you can't beat it for getting around.
I have adjusted the directions from "shortest" to "fastest" & really haven't noticed much difference.
Thought you GPS people would want to know. 8)

Denny_A
06-20-2004, 10:52 PM
I have used the Garmin iQue 3600 for 7000 miles of trailering. With the routing prefs set to "fastest" I have almost never needed to amend the routing due to unwanted "scenic roads".

I always review the route before hand and make "via" adjustments when necessary. Mostly for routing to and from specific destinations enroute; such as campgrounds, attractions, etc.). The iQue 3600 is an awesome GPS-Palm PDA-Web Browser(as soon as I can figger out why the Palm modem won't dial :-\).

Denny_A

Larry_Loo
06-21-2004, 12:31 PM
jgilliam, I've been using a Garmin StreetPilot III for the past 2 years. I've noticed many times that if I select "shortest route," the GPS unit will direct us through back streets that I'd never traveled before - and sometimes never knew about. Unless you're venturesome and have time to spare, you should always select "fastest route" when you want your GPS to direct you. Also, since your Garmin GPS unit was purchased just before Christmas, it may not have come with Version 5 of City Navigator. If this is the case, you qualify for a free upgrade (worth $150) that may include some previously unrecorded new streets in your area.

On the other hand, though, your recently acquired StreetPilot 2610 may really be defective. Send it to me and I'll trade you my fully-operable StreetPilot III in return. ;D ;D