PDA

View Full Version : tandem towing of boat

merlotman
06-14-2004, 06:19 PM
I have seen a trailmanor towing a 16ft aluminum fishing boat at a campground we use. I asked the owner how it handles and he told me that he has had no problems. He tows about 100miles each way. I would like to hear from others who have done the tandem thing. good or bad. Thanks.

Bill
06-15-2004, 08:16 AM
I haven't done it - wouldn't even consider it - but that's just me. All of the following concerns are manageable, but they MUST be addressed.

There are concerns with legality - this is probably legal in some areas and not in others.
o Solution? Figure out where it's legal, and don't stray.

There are concerns with lights - does he connect BOTH the boat trailer's tail/stop lights AND the TM's tail/stop lights to the tow vehicle somehow?
o Solution? Cobble up a Bargman Y-connector at the front of the TM, or wire in an extension cable from the point (often under the kitchen sink) where the TM's 7-conductor cable comes in from the Bargman connector on the tow vehicle.

There are concerns with braking - does he tow fast (on an Interstate, for example) or down steep grades?
o Solution? Keep the speed down - way down. Mosey along. On steep downgrades, keep it down even further. A boat/motor/trailer can weigh a significant fraction of what a TM weighs, and it has no brakes of its own.

And of course, the 100 pound (or so) hitch weight of the boat trailer, applied to the rear bumper of the TM, upsets the TM's weight balance and invites sway. Does he reload the TM to be front heavy, or at very least have a really rugged sway control system?
o Solution? Actually, I don't know how big a problem this is. Some folks have reported that they can feel the imbalance and sway when they carry a pair of 30-pound bicycles on the rear bumper. Others happily toss 150 pounds of extra batteries in the rear bumper compartment, and report that it handles great.

Other than those concerns, I wouldn't worry much.

Bill

Bendy3
06-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Greetings all -

This is an old thread but one that I read long ago when we first bought our TM. Last year we made another fun purchase, and many times we either made duplicate trips to the local camping spot (sux cause thats four trips total instead of two) or we went without the ski.

So anyhow Bill's comments stuck with me during the planning phase and one day I even got enough spirit to take the TM around town to EVERY camping/RV dealer and repair center and nobody had any good ideas of how to integrate a hitch into the TM. I reckon they didn't want to take the time to deal with it, PERIOD.

Anyhow I finally struck GOLD and walked into a hitch fabrication shop in Arlington, TX and the employees got down on their backs and slid under the TM and theorized, philosophized and announced that it could be done!!! Being the TM had a full length solid frame they were able to integrate the hitch into the frame however they were unable to advise what the towing experience would be like..... So faced with the decision to drop a few hundred into the project and not know what the end result would be - I went for it.

Ive attached a few photos of the end product, it is stable at 60 mph - For safety reasons I would highly advise not exceeding that speed. Its not that it becomes unstable but you have to be practical on the road and physics being what they are eventually you set yourself up for trouble if you push the limits. So I have made about 3 trips (50 - 150 miles) with the setup and I couldn't be happier.

Bill did hit the nail on the head when mentioning legality - tandem towing is not legal in all states so with this in mind I stay within the Lone Star State with this rig. Haven't been pulled over yet by Troopers or Police. :D

I did experience a blowout on one of the skis trailer tires a couple of weeks ago. At the wheel of the Tow Vehicle I didn't feel a thing, she pulled true. Luckily some drivers waived me over, I was riding rim when I eventually found a place to stop. See Cons list....

Pros -

No more duplicate trips
Able to have complete toy arsenal on local camping trips
All lights work in sync between tow vehicle, TM and ski trailer
Sturdy design won't give way and it pulls at 800lbs ground weight not sure on tounge weight

Cons -

It looks kind of hillbilly - I mean us TM owners are supposed to be Elitist... Right? :p
Had to buy another hitch receiver
Cost
I cannot see the ski when driving, AT ALL - currently I am contemplating various camera systems to accomplish this just havent had time.
NO REVERSE - At least I haven't tried but lets be honest it is hard enough backing the TM in much less TM and ski... I just disconnect and manaully move ski out of the way at campsites

jhill30
06-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I think it looks pretty cool, but heck I'm from Mississippi. redneck country.
I have the same problem but with much greater weight than a jet ski. I have a 19 foot bass boat we take with us. We just take an additional TV. Gotta pay to play....cost the same as making two trips, but half the time.

wbmiller3
06-16-2009, 03:06 PM
WOW. Glad to hear you don't try and back up. I wouldn't try it but glad it works for you.

viking
06-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Bendy3,

How is your hitch different in construction or the way that it connects to the frame than the hitch that comes from the factory as an option? Any chance you can post pictures of the hitch and the way that it is connected.

Thanks!

Wavery
06-16-2009, 07:32 PM
It is my understanding that "triple towing" is illegal in California......
http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm#CA

HOWEVER.......there are conflicting opinions on it:
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Check with your State's DMV code before doing it. You may end up leaving your tow on the side of the road and paying a fine.

PopBeavers
06-17-2009, 04:18 AM
I don't see how triple towing (truck with three trailers behind it) will work if the max length, at least in California, is 65 feet.

I believe that to tow doubles (truck with two trailers) in California requires a non commercial Class A license, which has special testing requirements. I can only tow single with my class C license.

Bill
06-17-2009, 06:23 AM
You might want to review the info published here (http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm).

It is good info. Unfortunately, it seems to be one of the annoying sites that works only with MSIE, but not Firefox.

Bill

Bendy3
06-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Bendy3,

How is your hitch different in construction or the way that it connects to the frame than the hitch that comes from the factory as an option? Any chance you can post pictures of the hitch and the way that it is connected.

Thanks!

Here is a couple of photos of the integration. As I have stated these guys fabricate designs so from the exterior it looks to be a factory design, however in function I did lose the use of the middle section of the bumper tub (used to carry my sewer hose and tire chaucks in there). The side bumper areas are still useable which house my electric cord and water hoses.

All frame attachments were bolted and then welded to the existing frame with heavy duty steel crossmembers. They did a SOLID job, no pun intended.

viking
06-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Bendy3,

Thanks for the photos!

bargnhunner
07-22-2009, 08:54 AM
I just rigged my 2619 for triple towing. Got it up to 60 mph with no problem. (I did get a lot of double-takes, though) :new_Eyecr

Chris
Flower Mound, TX

PopBeavers
07-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Are you sure the tongue weight of the boat on the TM is not more than the 100 pound rating of the rear of the TM, or did you re-engineer the rear of the TM?

AstroBruce
07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Let me Guess. No brakes on the boat trailer. You had the rig up to 60 MPH? I wouldn't go over 25 MPH. Texas is a big state. Hopefully you won't take anyone else out when it jack knifes.

Joseph
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Would triple towing not increase the weight on the TM tires and axle? Just thinking out loud. With Marathons marginal at best I think I would think about doing that triple tow thing a little bit more. But what do I know...;) Good luck and thanks for all the pictures!

Bill
07-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I just rigged my 2619 for triple towing. Got it up to 60 mph with no problem.
Chris
Flower Mound, TXChris -

That's nice. How fast can you get it back down to zero?

Bill

PopBeavers
07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Would triple towing not increase the weight on the TM tires and axle? Just thinking out loud. With Marathons marginal at best I think I would think about doing that triple tow thing a little bit more. But what do I know...;) Good luck and thanks for all the pictures!

Good point about TM tire weight.

I know that the weight on my TM axle is 3,380 pounds. It is rated for 3,500. If I increase my cargo in the TM such that more than 120 pounds goes to the TM axle, then I am overweight.

I have already had a blow out with three year old Marathons. I do not want to experience that again. Replacing the tires annually might help.

Anything heavier that a pair of bicycles on the TM rear hitch receiver that is welded to the frame is not at all a good idea, IMHO.

PopBeavers
07-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Chris -

That's nice. How fast can you get it back down to zero?

Bill

On one occasion I had to make a panic stop while towing my TM. I held the brake pedal to the floor, allowing the ABS system in the truck to do what it was designed to do. The TM very nicely followed me. It help, I think, that I was in a nearly straight line when I slammed on the brakes.

I am mostly worried about off camber tight turns on downhill grades with dirt and grime on the road surface.

Everyone should go out once into an empty parking lot and simulate a panic stop. Start slow, say 25 to 30 mph. If that goes well, try something faster. It may be difficult or illegal to get up to highway speed in a parking lot, but 30 should be doable.

Then try it in a gentle turn.

I do this from time to time on my motorcycle. I have only been riding a motorcycle for a year. I have a lot more experience towing than that.

rumbleweed
07-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Wayne
Second your suggestion. it is much better to understand what your set up can do in a parking lot with nothing to hit than to find out the hard way in an actual traffic situation.