PDA

View Full Version : Solar Panel Installation

pmhellings
06-22-2017, 06:38 PM
I just finished installing my 200 watt solar panel system. I bought the kit from Windy Nation ( through Amazon ). The kit included two 100 watt panels, mounting brackets, wire and connectors and a charge controller.

I thought quite a lot about how to install the kit. I don't like visible wires for aesthetic reasons as well as safety. Here in Florida the sun will eat thru insulation quickly. I ended up using a product called Cordmate 2. It has room to accommodate the two #8 AWG wires that I used and has a very good adhesive backing. I positioned the panels so that the wires connecting one panel to the other could be run between the panels in the Cordmate conduit. The panels themselves are fastened to the TM top with rivets and marine adhesive.

From the union of the two panels, I ran the Cordmate over the driver's side of the TM and down the side aligning with the center bar of the window. All Cordmate was riveted and caulked at strategic points in addition to using the adhesive backing.

The wires run under the edge of the rear shell ( there is enough room to tuck them under the aluminum molding ) and anchored with wire ties through holes drilled into the aluminum molding. The wires are encased in heat shrink tubing wherever they are tied to the shell. Once the wires reach the rearmost shell arm they run down the arm secured with wire ties until they reach the turn of the torsion bar. They route through rubber tubing along the arm ( with sufficient slack for operation ) and up into the battery compartment, where they connect to the controller which connects to the batteries.

Aside from seeing the Cordmate conduit, the wiring is well hidden and routed to avoid UV damage and snagging and chafing. The panels have only been working for one day but seem to be charging well.

pmhellings
06-22-2017, 06:41 PM
I guess that I should have posted this to the Solar Power section. Sorry!

Paul

scrubjaysnest
06-29-2017, 09:07 AM
Paul,
I like the install, Cordmate II is pretty common to use on TM's
I'll add your install to this link if you like? PM me. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16973