PDA

View Full Version : Firm Mattress

EPICSDUDE
04-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Does anybody have any suggestions on making the bed softer? I have tried air mattesses, but you really have to climb high to get into bed and getting out of bed is difficult to say the least. However, it is the most comfortable. I have purchased a memory foam mattress topper to try in place of the air mattress. I am currently using it on top of my Sleep number bed at home. "Just testing". I am loving it on my bed. Can't wait to see if is as comfortable in the TM as it is at home. It is 3 inches thick and I thought about leaving on the rear bed. It looks like I have enough clearence when I close the top, but won't know for sure until I try.

Rocky

Civil_War_Buff
04-20-2004, 02:10 PM
I just picked up a memory foam cover for the TM as well. The last outing, I got up with a substantial backache, so I am hoping the memory foam will do the trick, however, I only got one that is 1-1/2" thick. I will shake it down this weekend and report back on how it does for me.

Larry

live2shopnc
04-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Where are you getting the memory foam--how much does it cost? Haven't slept in mine yet but the matress does feel hard. I am going to get the wife to close the back half while I am in it and see how much clearence there is.( I know she will let me out because she wouldn't wont to lose the TM).

EPICSDUDE
04-20-2004, 08:55 PM
I did the same thing by getting in the TM and closing the back shell. Best I could determine I had about 3.5 inches in the center and about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inches on the sides. I bought mine from an Ebay store. Just search on memory foam. I paid about $109 plus shipping for mine(Queen). If it is a comfortable in the TM as it is on my bed at home, I'll be in heaven!!!!

Rocky

Civil_War_Buff
04-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Where are you getting the memory foam--how much does it cost? Haven't slept in mine yet but the matress does feel hard. I am going to get the wife to close the back half while I am in it and see how much clearence there is.( I know she will let me out because she wouldn't wont to lose the TM).

I got mine online through Linens-N-Things. I got the king size so I can cut down to match the mattress.

If the link works it is here:

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1434011&cp=1331605.1331633&cli ckid=mainnav_browse_txt&page=2&pageBucket=0&parent Page=family

You may have to copy and paste the url, for some reason the period throws everything off.

Larry

Paul_Heuvelhorst
04-21-2004, 10:58 PM
I am currently using it on top of my Sleep number bed at home.

Rocky,
As a current user of the Sleep number bed at home, and former TM owner, I can tell you that you will not find a reasonable substitute to make your TM bed approach the comfort you enjoy at home. We used a good quality egg-crate under the sheets on our TM and the comfort was acceptable. However, on long trips (3 weeks or longer) we found we had "pressure points" on our bodies that were tender.

Perhaps the memory foam will be an improvement over the egg-crate style, but it wasn't available when we owned our TM.

Frenchy
04-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Try this site for memory foam pad.

http://www.smartbargains.com/default.aspx

I can't get it to insert the hyperlink.

Frenchy

Frenchy
04-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Let's try this again.

http://www.smartbargains.com/prod.asp?deptId=3&catId=1400&prodId=3030126776&sou rceid=00383038349286853133

EPICSDUDE
05-07-2004, 12:40 PM
I tried the memory foam mattress and it works just fine! I did not try to close the TM with it on the bed though, I was trying to beat a rain storm heading my way. I hope to try to close it with the mattress on the bed. If it works I'm gonna have to buy one for my bed at home, I'm hooked on it! :)

Rocky

Civil_War_Buff
05-07-2004, 03:02 PM
I have a 1-1/2" thick memory foam pad on mine, and the TM closes just fine with it in place. It made a world of difference too when I used it. No more backaches!

Larry

dataman20
05-24-2004, 07:26 PM
We also have the Select Comfort air bed at home and found the TM foam way too firm. We tried the "egg crate" thing and it was not acceptable. In doing a search on the net, I found AERO bed makes a mattress topper. It's only 2 1/5 inches thick inflated and it comes with a pump and a control for each side so my wife and I can individually adjust the firmness. It's still not as good as the one at home, but MUCH better than the other two options! :D :D

dataman20
05-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Forgot one other thing about the AERO topper - when closing up, all I have to do is remove the tubes from the pump - the mattress deflates totally on its own so no extra heighth is an issue in closing up the TM