PDA

View Full Version : Towing with the new Volvo XC90 is too easy?

Pableau
08-28-2016, 02:18 PM
Just took my new (to me) TM 2720 on its maiden voyage. First time camper, first time towing anything, and wow!!

Place I bought the TM hadn't ever seen the setup that Volvo has come up with. You plug it in, and do nothing else. The vehicle has no manual (or other) controls for the breaking, it just works! Mechanic was amazed. I feel like I cheated to be honest, since I still don't know all the technical details of break controllers and it seems I won't, at least until something goes wrong.

I put the Volvo hitch package on, after much consideration of the couple of 3rd party options, but in the end decided I didn't want to deal with any potential software problems as the new XC90 is insanely complicated.

Plug in the power from the TM to the rig and the dash asks me if I want to do the trailer light testing (so I can do it without someone else to help) even! Pretty neat.

Attaching the vehicle to the hitch was also cool with a visual tow ball line showing where I'm going so I can back right up to it on the first try.

Hard to believe a 4 cyclinder engine can tow like this - smooth as can be.

I do have the air-suspension in the new TV, and the software uses that when unhitching it detects you have raised the trailer up and then lowers the suspension a bunch to save you from a half dozen more spins of the arm. Same goes when putting it on - raising it up once it realizes what you are doing. So far this has worked flawless, although I could see it making life challenging if it every went south.

I bought this vehicle after my last one was totaled on Christmas day of last year. That vehicle couldn't tow, and I was dreaming of a TM. Talk about lemons into lemonade!

Enormous thank you to this forum. Countless hours in here gave me the courage to make this leap (as someone that has never camped in anything but a tent, it really was scary)!!

bheisser
08-28-2016, 05:04 PM
nice sounds like a dream come true

LoveToCamp
08-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Sounds like the folks at Volvo have towed a few trailers! Wonderful that they have a plug-n-tow system that seems to work great for you.

Enjoy!

Padgett
08-28-2016, 06:09 PM
320hp/300 lb-ft of torque. Max torque from 2200 - 5400. Direct Injection and Boost. Shape of things to come.

Nikkira
08-29-2016, 12:57 PM
That sounds awesome. I'm in the market for a new car and had been eyeing the XC90, but I'm not sure about the towing capacity. We have a 3023, so a slightly higher weight. Do you think it would be ok with the higher weight?

LoveToCamp
08-29-2016, 06:30 PM
5000 towing capacity. While you would have some rated capacity remaining, I don't like to get close to the rating, as engines and trannies work harder. Just my opinion.

Campground Avenger
12-15-2016, 12:44 AM
That sounds awesome. I'm in the market for a new car and had been eyeing the XC90, but I'm not sure about the towing capacity. We have a 3023, so a slightly higher weight. Do you think it would be ok with the higher weight?

We towed our 3023 to Yellowstone this past summer with our 08 XC90. I will admit 3.2L straight 6 could use some extra power on the hills but manual shifting and planning ahead had me beating most other guys up the steep mountain passes(having empty tanks is always a good decision). The self adjusting rear suspension on the xc90 also made short work of the trailmanor's heavy tongue weight. Not saying it was stress free but I have full confidence in our TV and would do it all over again. Now if we could just program a tow mode into the 6speed auto. Sadly we have eyes for the new XC90 but the pocket book....not so much

Padgett
12-15-2016, 09:19 AM
It is a nice unit and since 2010 we have been seeing a constant improvement in tow vehicles particularly now as direct injection/boosted gas engines are so efficient. The top of the line, beyond even diesels, are now the hybrid gas/electrics particularly in three areas: performance, weight (600-1000 lbs heavier than pure gas), and MSRP.

Personally I always have to consider the total cost of ownership (why I have a '12 with a gas engine) but we have some amazing vehicles in the future.

Would like to see Ford buy Jeep: a Grand Cherokee with a 3.5 EcoBoost & eight speed ZF would be hard to resist.

Bill
12-15-2016, 12:02 PM
The self adjusting rear suspension on the xc90 also made short work of the trailmanor's heavy tongue weight.Avenger -

I hesitate to ask what this means - but I suspect you are running without a WDH? Next time you are packed up and ready to camp, it wouldn''t be a bad idea to shell out $10 at a CAT scale (catscale.com) and find out how you are doing against your GAWR-R (listed on the label on the driver's door frame).

Bill

Padgett
12-15-2016, 12:38 PM
"I hesitate to ask what this means -"

Think "automatic load leveler".

LoveToCamp
12-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Yes, and my Grand Cherokee says that, with the automatic leveling system, as weight-distributing hitch must be used. It likely stresses the system to put that much additional weight on the hitch.

Padgett
12-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Actually what my OM says is a WDH is needed if the trailer weight exceeds 3500 lbs. Since I keep the load in my 2720Sl to a minimum, it should be below 3500.

mecicon
12-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Actually what my OM says is a WDH is needed if the trailer weight exceeds 3500 lbs. Since I keep the load in my 2720Sl to a minimum, it should be below 3500.

Until you "pony up" and put that rig on a CAT scale (or similar variant) you just don't KNOW.

Your methods of 'divination' have not yet been confirmed. :eek:

Padgett
12-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Agree. If you have to ask, best have a wDH.

bheisser
12-16-2016, 08:47 PM
ok so i am curious i have a 2014 tacoma rated 6800Lbs with tow package,,,towed over 4000 miles this summer including the smokies in tennesee, and west virginia i77,,,never a hint of sway or issue,,,however i don't like the way it isnot level when loaded (a full truck bed ,plus loaded camper) .. and i do worry about the front tires staying down,,, so i added some firestone air rite bags
what will a wdh do that some air springs or such won't

thanks

Bill
12-16-2016, 09:05 PM
... what will a wdh do that some air springs or such won't Bob -

The only thing that air bags WILL do is level the tow vehicle. But that is a minor thing. Air bags WON'T do two important things.

1. They won't take any weight off the tow vehicle's rear suspension. The rear end of the tow vehicle (and that means springs, axles, bearings, wheels, tires, etc) is rated by the manufacturer to carry a certain amount of weight. This rating is called the GAWR-R (Gross Axle Weight Rating-Rear). If you overload the rear end, you risk damaging these components.
2. They won't move any weight onto the front axle. You said "i do worry about the front tires staying down", and you are right to worry about that. But air bags won't help. The front end is still unloaded.

The real purpose of a WDH is to move some weight off the rear end of the tow vehicle (where you have too much weight) and onto the front end of the tow vehicle (where you have too little weight). When it moves this weight from back to front, the tow vehicle becomes more level, of course. And that is good. But it is a side effect of a WDH's real purpose.

There are a couple good WDH articles in the TM Technical Library (aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else). You might read them.

Bill

flipflop
12-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Ok, but if one has airbags and they're keeping the TV's rearend up high enough to eliminate the 'teeter-totter' effect isn't that pretty much the same effect as a WDH?

The tongue weight is being shifted back onto the trailer axle, the TV rear end isn't sagging to the point the front end is being lifted. And the airbags keep the rearend from fluctuating down in actual travel.

I put stiffer 3" lift coils and stronger rear shocks on the 4Runner (plus airbags) with the factory tow package to avoid the teeter-totter effect. Also a 2 3/4" rise ball mount. 15 lbs in the airbags keeps the rearend from sagging with initial hookup and bottoming on the road.

I went this route because I had problems before transitioning from onroad to offroad with a Reese like this http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/cfp/towing/weight-distribution-hitch-equal-i-zer/94-6478.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=partsshopping&utm_campaign=partsfeed&jt=1&jap=1o3&js=1&jsid=36859&jcpid=8a8ae4cd48005458014820e2e0170ec4&jkId=gcp:se_36859:pp_55181730984:ag_15211804824:cp _194253624:n_g:d_c:cr_52737673584&gclid=COzhvsTV_NACFQa5wAodUQ0LEA

As soon as I started getting into dips, washes where the trailer was twisting one way, the truck twisting another that thing took a beating. Had to yank it, never used it again. Probably could have made a better choice in type of WDH this time around (one without bars) but decided since the 4Runner needed a lift for offroading may as well try to eliminate the WDH altogether.

The setup maybe is only 90% as effective as a WDH, but IMO easier to deal with, more versatility. The initial cost to upgrade the suspension was about $2000 so that is a glaring downside.

BrucePerens
12-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Ok, but if one has airbags and they're keeping the TV's rearend up high enough to eliminate the 'teeter-totter' effect isn't that pretty much the same effect as a WDH?

No. The main purpose of the WDH is to move the center of pressure of the hitch weight forward of the tow vehicle's rear axle. Leveling your vehicle is a side-effect of that.

Consider the effect if you were stronger than you actually are, and if you were to walk up to the back of the vehicle and push down on the roof while pulling up on the bumper. You would torque the front of the vehicle down relative to the back, and put more weight on the front wheels than the rear ones. This is what the WDH does, but the torque is applied to the hitch receiver.

The effect is that the center of pressure of the trailer's hitch weight moves from the hitch ball forward. Hopefully somewhere forward of the rear axle, although I am dubious that some WDH's actually work that well.

A side effect is that you can distribute some weight to your trailer's axle, too. But IMO not more than 100 additional pounds.

Padgett
12-18-2016, 07:50 AM
It is not easy to follow the forces of a WDH vs load levelers but the bottom line is a WDH uses torque to increase the force on he trailer axle and the front axle while reducing force at the hitch which translates to a reduction on the rear axle.

One of the least understood pieces is that a WDH is only a constant value when the TV and TM are on level ground. As as soon as you add an angle (dip or bump) the forces change.

OTOH load levelers or air lifts raise the rear by increasing the force on the rear axle. This does not change

In my specific case I did not want to add any load on the 3500 lb trailer axle.

flipflop
12-21-2016, 04:11 PM
No. The main purpose of the WDH is to move the center of pressure of the hitch weight forward of the tow vehicle's rear axle. Leveling your vehicle is a side-effect of that.

Consider the effect if you were stronger than you actually are, and if you were to walk up to the back of the vehicle and push down on the roof while pulling up on the bumper. You would torque the front of the vehicle down relative to the back, and put more weight on the front wheels than the rear ones. This is what the WDH does, but the torque is applied to the hitch receiver.

The effect is that the center of pressure of the trailer's hitch weight moves from the hitch ball forward. Hopefully somewhere forward of the rear axle, although I am dubious that some WDH's actually work that well.

A side effect is that you can distribute some weight to your trailer's axle, too. But IMO not more than 100 additional pounds.

After I posted the above I started thinking about how a WDH is like a bowstring on a bow. Tighten the WDH and it distributes force to either end of the bow. Good analogy?

I realize my setup is not 'distributing' the tongue weight off of the TV's rear axle, it's only making it look like it's doing so.

Padgett
12-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Very good analogy. Key is that either way the total weight of the system has not changed, just total force on ach axle. How much you move depends on how much load each axle can handle and not to overload any.