PDA

View Full Version : How well does TM's keep insects and critters out ?

Gapopper
08-26-2016, 09:32 AM
I am curious with the way TM's are designed, how well do they keep insects and critters out ?

BrucePerens
08-26-2016, 10:04 AM
There were a few pronlem spots in mine but they would be in common with other RVs. I had to shape screen around the inside of the refrrigerator vents and hot-melt glue the screen edges to the vents. I had to put new foam around wire entries (it's a 2004 and the old foam had gone to powder).. I had to re-seal the wheel well covers with silicone and foam.

No sign of rodents entering through the flaps or between the shells.

tentcamper
08-26-2016, 10:47 AM
we have had no issues.

oldstick
08-27-2016, 11:48 AM
No sign of rodents entering through the flaps or between the shells.

However one PITA for me is any left over leaves on the rear roof when you close it down. I always find them lodged around the side flaps in the seating area next time it is set up. Kind of a pain as you need a good sized ladder to sweep the roof clean.

BrucePerens
08-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Kind of a pain as you need a good sized ladder to sweep the roof clean.

Actually, there's a way to do it without more than a stepstool. Lower the rear shell first, and leave the front shell up until you're finished brushing. If you are not tall enough to see the top of the shell when it's lowered, take the bed step ladder (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J9472C2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) out of the TM before lowering the shell, and store it in the TV after use. Use a brush with an 8 foot extending handle (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OCH4YO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) or similar. For things that stick to the roof, turn the brush over and gently push them off with the back of the brush. Brush all of the way from the front edge of the shell, which you can easily reach between the two shells. Make sure there isn't dirt on the stepladder legs.

This will prevent mystery dents on the front shell ceiling and intrusion of the fallen material, and a lot of dust comes off. I still find a few pieces that asipirate between the shells or something during towing.

Finally, if you want to be squeaky clean, you can rinse off the brush head and stepladder legs with the water faucet, and shake them dry before storing in your TV.

Kidkraz
08-27-2016, 02:25 PM
I too have found the roof top stuff inside the flaps. I'm considering getting a folding ladder from AMZN as seen in the picture. I did come up with a solution on one of my camping trips, but I can't always depend on that method. :( I had a freinds 14 year old sweep the back roof down before I closed up the front. He's skinny as a rail and was happy to help. :D Now I just sweep down the side flaps when I open the camper up and then sweep the crap out later.

Gwenne & Len
08-27-2016, 08:14 PM
We have taken one two week trip in our 'new to us this year' '05 TM......absolutely no bug problems......and I thought I would have to do something to seal the area around the bed, but no issues there either.......

HIKERZ
08-28-2016, 06:37 AM
the gaps around the bed can be filled with a swimming pool noodle

08-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Actually, there's a way to do it without more than a stepstool. Lower the rear shell first, and leave the front shell up until you're finished brushing. If you are not tall enough to see the top of the shell when it's lowered, take the bed step ladder (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J9472C2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) out of the TM before lowering the shell, and store it in the TV after use. Use a brush with an 8 foot extending handle (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OCH4YO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) or similar. For things that stick to the roof, turn the brush over and gently push them off with the back of the brush. Brush all of the way from the front edge of the shell, which you can easily reach between the two shells. Make sure there isn't dirt on the stepladder legs.

This will prevent mystery dents on the front shell ceiling and intrusion of the fallen material, and a lot of dust comes off. I still find a few pieces that asipirate between the shells or something during towing.

Finally, if you want to be squeaky clean, you can rinse off the brush head and stepladder legs with the water faucet, and shake them dry before storing in your TV.

A much better way is to use a leaf blower. No need for a "special" broom and spending all that time and effort. Lower the back shell, get in, plug your blower in and turn it on. You'll be done in a minute with no work involved and it gets into cracks where leaves get stuck and NO broom can reach.
MA

08-28-2016, 12:25 PM
I too have found the roof top stuff inside the flaps. I'm considering getting a folding ladder from AMZN as seen in the picture. I did come up with a solution on one of my camping trips, but I can't always depend on that method. :( I had a freinds 14 year old sweep the back roof down before I closed up the front. He's skinny as a rail and was happy to help. :D Now I just sweep down the side flaps when I open the camper up and then sweep the crap out later.

And I read about using a pvc 4x4 fence post from Home Depot mounted under the frame to store it in. GREAT idea Kid!
MA

08-28-2016, 12:30 PM
the gaps around the bed can be filled with a swimming pool noodle

So how many does it take and do you go all the way around or just do the back side? The back is where I usually have the gap, although it's very small.
MA

Gwenne & Len
08-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Wow - great idea! thanx!

Bill
08-29-2016, 08:02 AM
During my 15 years of ownership, I've had no problem with either bugs or critters getting in during the camping season. However, when the TM is in the storage lot, I did have mice get in a couple times. There is lots of info on that issue here on the forum - the Search tool will uncover it for you.

Bill

Shane826
08-29-2016, 08:33 AM
So how many does it take and do you go all the way around or just do the back side? The back is where I usually have the gap, although it's very small.
MA

If the back edge of the bed is where you have a gap you can try cutting a couple noodles (or pipe insulation may be even easier to work with) and screw it to the bottom edge of the shell meets the bed, that way it's permanent and you don't have to stuff the noodles each time you set up. When you pull the bed back into place it will mash the pipe insulation and violà! No more gap! If the gap is on the sides of the bed that's another story.