PDA

View Full Version : Plant Visit

10-08-2002, 12:13 PM
 Dianne and I visited the TM plant today.  The plant is not all that big - maybe 150 yards long and 200 feet wide. It's basically one big building under which an awful lot is going on. Greg, our guide, walked us through the entire operation. We got to see about 8 trailers in every stage of construction from floor forming to the final quality control inspection. As Greg told us they are turning out about 8 trailers a week, and are behind dealer demand so it's a busy place.
 My overall impression was that this was one busy, but not very well organized place. Definitely not the paragon of cleanliness, but that is more than offset by the ingenuity that has been used to put production techniques in place. The vacuum forming operation that attaches the aluminum skins to the foam cores for the trailer walls etc. was especially interesting. It was also nice to be able to see how all the systems tie together before being covered up by structure. The torsion bar system that essentially operates the "pop up" portion of the trailer is so simple it's ridiculous. Greg told us there has never been a failure with the lift system and I have to believe him given the simplicity of the system. Happy to tell you there were no Carlisle tires in sight. Every unit had Goodyears aboard.
 Can't think of much else except the people were friendly and answered every question I had. In most cases they were also able to do a "show and tell" right on the production line which really helps with understanding.  I'd recommend the tour to anyone. Just motor up I-75 above Knoxville to exit 129 (abt 25 miles ), make a right off the exit and look for the sign within a couple of hundred feet. Piece of cake !  If any of you have questions I will try to answer them.
                                                         Al 8)

KB7OUR
10-08-2002, 01:19 PM
Al, I don't suppose you have any pics you can post here?

Wade

10-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the e-tour of the plant.  Enjoyed it.

Trailmanners

:o

10-11-2002, 06:14 PM
One of those you looked at was mine!  Glad to hear it will arrive next week with Goodyears!  Thanks for the information.

10-12-2002, 02:20 PM
Wade
Sorry but no pics. I don't own a digital cam. Do believe I saw your new trailer though. It was the only 3023 anywhere near completion. You're gonna love it !!

BOB_STRONG
10-13-2002, 01:49 PM
Your info regarding your plant visit to Lake City was quite informative. I sent you an e-mail regarding more info. I am new at this, so I hope you received my message ok!!!  BOB STRONG  :D :D

tipper
10-14-2002, 01:19 PM
I visited the plant earlier this year with Greg as a tour guide.  Greg is their quality engineer.

As I work in automotive I have had experience in a number of various manufacturing plants.  I found the TM plant to be quite tidy in view of the low volume nature of their production.  When one is making 2 parts per day in each operation, there is going to be quite a bit of work in progress laying around.

It hurts to see that plant run at one shift -- even with their minimal capital investment the new facility itself begs for 2 shift operation to minimize the overhead burden.  AND they could decorate the lobby just a bit -- it's like they just forgot about it -- a few pictures, TM history, etc.

10-22-2002, 10:18 PM
I also recently visited the TM plant. I was given permission by Michael Hulsey to film the manufacturing process. I miked up Greg Jernigan and he gave me a personal tour from frame to finished product. Greg did a great job and I really appreciate the time that he spent and his willingness to do it. Once I complete the editing of this footage and have the approval from the owners, (a promise I made to Carol Hulsey) I hope to be able to share it with others who may be interested.  

arknoah
10-23-2002, 01:34 AM
Videoguy,

That's one video I'd love to see!

Civil_War_Buff
10-23-2002, 03:11 AM
Me too! Being on the left coast, we don't get to see stuff like that often, as it's not  without a month long commitment.

Waiting patiently....

BOB_STRONG
10-23-2002, 01:01 PM
VIDEOGUY:

I too would love to see a tape of the actual production of the Trailmanor. Not too long ago, I spoke to Carol Hulsey on the phone regarding some suggestions regarding the Trailmanor website. She had mentioned that they would like to have a film from start to finish of the Trailmanor.
Maybe they will end up asking to use yours!!

Bob Strong

BOB_STRONG
11-23-2002, 07:35 AM
To VideoGuy,

Did you ever get the film of your plant tour edited and then approved by the Hulseys?

Anxiously waiting to see the film!! :-* :-*

Please let us know how you are doing with the project.

Bob Strong

02-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Viedoguy, Hello, I would also like to see the video, I"m new at this and seriously thinking of getting a used(preferably) or new TM, and would be really interested in viewing it, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks Johnna

Gene
02-26-2003, 05:07 PM
If you would have seen the old original TrailManor plant, you would have to say that the new plant is a 100% improvement. If I have the story correct, the old plant was originally a linen factory, and converted to produce the TrailManor. The building was very, very old, almost ready to distruct by itself. When I first. saw the building, I wondered how they were able to produce anything there. Frankly, it was a shock. The original TrailManor building is more than likely still standing in Lake City, behind the Lake City post office. If you go to visit the TM plant, you should make it a point to see the old plant. It has the TrailManor logo on the front of the building. I give the Hulseys very much credit. They have come a long way in twenty years to be able to produce a such unique RV.

Happytrails
03-08-2003, 10:44 AM
I had almost forgotton about Videoguy's video, any news on that yet? I know a few people would like to see it. I'd be happy to throw a few bucks your way for your trouble in copying it, and shipping charges etc.....

Happytrails.......

03-27-2003, 03:14 AM
Hello to everyone,

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have been out of the loop for awhile and apologize for the lack of communication. I had to put the TM video project on hold for awhile but I am ready to get back on it and will let you know as soon as I can share it. Thanks for the interest and I will try to have something as soon as possible.

Civil_War_Buff
04-03-2003, 01:38 AM
We are planning on visiting the factory in July on my way back West from Gettysburg.  Of those that HAVE been to the factory, will they make minor adjustments, etc. while you're there or is it just a tour?  Many of the major RV manufacturers will do a courtesy inspection on your unit and make "recall adjustments" (if any) when you visit so I was wondering if TM did the same?

Wishful thinkin' is it?

Larry

04-03-2003, 02:29 AM
Larry,
I believe that if you call and talk to Jimmy Davis prior to your trip, you could probably make an appointment for when you would be there. I know that regular tours are scheduled at certain times, but they seem to be very willing to accommodate owners wishes. I would let them know when you call that you want to have a tour.
I can tell you this - Last fall on our trip to New England, we took our 3023 to the plant on our way and they took care of all that we asked and even checked and made some adjustments that were needed that we did not ask about. We spent three weeks on our trip to New England before heading back south. During the trip we had some things develop that we needed to have taken care of so I called Jimmy Davis again and we took it back to the plant on our way back to Florida. Again they were very accommodating and took care of everything. They replaced the furnace and a leaking valve on the propane tanks. They also took care of a leak that was at the front corner of the unit. I expect good service, especially on something as costly as a TM, and they did not let me down. Good luck and hope that you have a great trip.