PDA

View Full Version : windows 10 and printers

scrubjaysnest
03-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Any one with windows 10 found a printer that works with it?
Just dumped our HP 1056 in the trash after several hours installing new HP drivers and software that was supposed to make it work. No answer on the HP forums or support either.
This was one of HP's cheap printers, ink cost more then the printer.

Bill
03-17-2016, 12:41 PM
I gave up on HP printers several years ago, for the same reasons. And I am an EE who spent my career buying HP test equipment for my engineering labs.

I am very enthusiastic about the Canon PIXMA series, specifically the MX922 all-in-one printer/scanner/FAX/copier. I own 2 of them, and they are great in many ways. I won't bore everyone here by listing the reasons, but if you care, a PM would be good. Although I do not use Win10 (I am still on Win7), the Canon web site shows a downloadable 64-bit driver for Win10.

Hint - do not pay retail for this printer. You should pay about $75 through OfficeMax / OfficeDepot.

Bill

Kwantau
03-17-2016, 01:45 PM
Just bought HP Officejet Pro 6830 and I use Windows 10. It is wireless/ethernet and it works great. No problems at all. Easy to set up and use.

Kidkraz
03-17-2016, 03:43 PM
I use an Epson CX5000 and just switched over to Windows 10. Had no issues when I use my printer. Try uninstalling and see if Windows10 can fine the drivers for the printer?
Good luck.

aslag54
03-17-2016, 05:40 PM
I picked up a HP LaserJet Pro P1109w a while ago on sale at Staples for $50 regularly $140, it was a price too good to pass up. It too has built in wireless and or USB interface. It works with every computer on my wired/wireless network which includes Windows 10, Windows 7, Mac O/S 10.8.5 and Mac O/S 10.6.8.

LoveToCamp
03-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Hmmm. I have been using the same laser printer through XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 10. (Laserjet 1100) Have not had to install drivers since the first install.

Also have an Epson WorkForce 633. Installed with Win 7, and it still works fine with my Win 10 upgrade.

All printers at work also work with my Win 7 > Win 10 upgrade machine, no new drivers needed.

inghamm
03-17-2016, 10:05 PM
+1 on Canon PIXMA. I also have the Canon MX922 that Bill has. It's sitting in it's box waiting for my current printer, it's older brother, the MX870 to die. I have had the MX 870 for about 3 years. I have replaced the print head once, but other than that, it is going strong, and I love it. I got the 922 on sale for $70 because I figured a new printhead for the the 870 would cost almost that much, so I would just replace the whole printer instead.

So I have had a long love affair with Canon printers with ink tanks. I do a lot of printing, mostly for school, so I have gone the route of refillable ink tanks and buying ink in bulk. Most people don't do that much ink jet printing, but the whole idea of throw away printers that cost less than the cartridges in them just rubs me the wrong way. And even if you don't go the whole bulk ink route like I do, generic ink tanks for the Canon are pretty cheap. I buy some special matt photo paper for our Christmas letter with pictures and the results are stunning, but it would be pretty expensive to do if I was buying ink in cartridges.

I upgraded my main computer to Windows 10, and everything was fine for the printer. There was no Win10 driver for an older Synthesizer module that I use often, so I ended up going back to Win 8 until I can solve that problem, but the printer worked fine in Win10.

ka9nyn
03-18-2016, 08:28 AM
Brother MFC-J870DW Wireless, all in one. Works well.

wbmiller3
03-18-2016, 04:47 PM
We've had good luck with the Canon PIXMAs as well. And they work well with Linux, which can be problematic.

tentcamper
03-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Yes all my printers are working. It took some time to find a driver for my HP 4000N leaserjet, which is an old office model with 3 draws and a duplexer. It is is about 10 years old. But it is our go-to printer because how cheap it is to operate. But some where around Dec of last year the new release of the 4100 model was released for 10 and it worked for the 4000N. But I have lost the duplex feature.

I would google your printer with window 10 and I'm sure you will find conversations about driver issues and maybe a solution. Maybe another printer driver will work???

scrubjaysnest
03-19-2016, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the responses. When I did searches all I come up with are maybe this or that one will work. Searching the HP forums and support were a waste of time. The updated software and drivers from the HP site that were supposed to work didn't. After about 6 hours of install/uninstall and reboots it became a this isn't worth it just to use a couple times a year. Everything else has gone great in the move from the old toshiba with xp to the new asus with win 10. In fact far better then these things usually go.