PDA

View Full Version : I installed solar

Craigrrr
03-06-2016, 01:38 PM
I used 1 of my Seimens mono 75 watt panels. After thinking about the times we rarely dry camp is very little these days and we had this set up on our popup tent trailer it did the job. So I will try this out if not I will add another panel and then get the MPPT CC . I still need to mount the cc near the battery box but the DW has more "honeydo" for me. :)

Craigrrr
03-07-2016, 05:23 PM
installed my pure sinewave inverter still need to mount the charge controller, was doing the wiring on the outside today I wanted to add an Anderson connector to disconnect the solar panel.

Craigrrr
03-07-2016, 05:25 PM
more pics

scrubjaysnest
03-08-2016, 04:50 AM
Looking good:); I curious about the location of the Anderson connector.

Craigrrr
03-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Looking good:); I curious about the location of the Anderson connector.

I chose that location just for ease, I am not to keen on crawling under stuff anymore these days. so I wanted a place where I could disconnect easily if need be when shell is open or closed . I am making a vinyl snap on cover with the left over vinyl I have just in case it rains or to cover the red waterproof wrap tape. Plus the wife could unplug it from there as well, without crawling underneath and maybe pulling on the wrong set of wires :)

Craigrrr
03-09-2016, 02:09 PM
last of the pics. This controller has a double USB port kind of useless but it does charge the cell phone this is a pwm 30watt new series design they tell me.

scrubjaysnest
03-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Looking good, I think everything comes with USB jacks anymore. The new end table we got today for the fishcamp has them.

I've got a thing against wire nuts, did see one tucked in the corner.

Craigrrr
03-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Looking good, I think everything comes with USB jacks anymore. The new end table we got today for the fishcamp has them.

I've got a thing against wire nuts, did see one tucked in the corner.

Wow a table with a usb port. amazing... Yep, your eyes did not deceive you. There is a red wire nut. I need to grab some more crimp caps for 10-12 ga.
So temporary on the wire nut as that is how the TM came

CAG1976
03-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Looks good. One question though, I understand the solar panel will charge the 12v system and I see you added the pure sine wave inverter. But since its mounted in the back like that how would you go about using it? Run a long extension cord back into the trailer for 120v small electronics? Just curious how you saw yourself using it.

Craigrrr
03-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Looks good. One question though, I understand the solar panel will charge the 12v system and I see you added the pure sine wave inverter. But since its mounted in the back like that how would you go about using it? Run a long extension cord back into the trailer for 120v small electronics? Just curious how you saw yourself using it.

I plan to run 12-2 w/g up into the converter area and place a 110 outlet there.

That black box surge protector cable runs right into the converter area, I am going to go along that route.

rongreen
04-04-2016, 01:17 PM
I didn't do the solar installation on my trailer, but I like how it was done. The output of the 3000 watt inverter runs to an automatic transfer switch mounted in the rear storage space. The shore power line is also routed into the transfer switch. From their power goes to the converter/fuse panel area and is distributed to all the existing 110 vac outlets.

Ron Green
Macomb, Il

Bill
04-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Sounds really nice! I'm sure that the inverter (that's a whopper!) has a manual ON-OFF switch that is easily accessible? And maybe a low-voltage automatic shut down?

Bill

rongreen
04-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Yes, that inverter is a big one. It runs my wife's blow dryer and/or curling iron with no problems. The inverter is under the driver's side sofa, right next to the water tank. The installer cut a 7" x 7" hole out of the front of the sofa and mounted the inverter far enough forward that I can reach down and flick it on and off. The inverter could have a remote installed but we don't need that. I can still bend over, thankfully. There is also a standby option that just draws a few watts but I haven't given that a try yet.

Flexible 100 watt panels double-sided taped to the roof went through a Kansas hailstorm last November. Panels are now dented and one is cracked, but they're still working, with perhaps slightly reduced output.

This year I bought a portable 100 watt panel that just clamps to the batteries. I aim it at the morning and evening sun. It puts out more juice than the other 4 roof units combined for the 1st and last hours of the day.

rongreen
04-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Low voltage shutdown, indeed. At about 11 volts I think. It screams a lot first (Beeps and blinking red lights) then just quits if I don't reduce the load.