PDA

View Full Version : Possibly going to put my BP solar panel on

Craigrrr
02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
I have a BP solar panel SX160B it is 33 pounds was thinking of putting on rear shell. I have AGM battery so I was told I should use a MPPT charge controller.
I was thinking of this one http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KWPGS6?keywords=mppt&qid=1454693204&ref_=sr_1_1&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rps=1&sr=8-1
As it has a AGM setting on the cc
So I am looking for reasons to do or not to do and what to do if this does not sound good.

Or was going with this controller: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00OLDHIFC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3UJUJ4QFEQZR6&coliid=IAF0VFIL34P5Z

Thanks

Craigrrr
02-05-2016, 11:30 AM
I have 2 of them but only room for 1 open voltage max is 43vdc

31" wide 62 1/2" length

klpauba
02-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Take advice from the more experienced solar guys/gals on the forum (like ricks29). I've been told that the tracer "RN" series lacks some of the customization and monitor features necessary for recommended battery settings. From most accounts, the Tracer "BN" series is a much better choice (maybe the 1215BN 10A model). There's an optional MT50 remote, battery temperature probe and PC communication cable that are highly recommended to make full use of the product (and to charge the battery as recommended by each manufacturer).

Bill
02-05-2016, 12:27 PM
I agree with KLPauba - there are some solar experts on this forum, and you should listen to them. I am not one of them.

My initial reaction is that since you have an AGM battery, you must choose a charge controller with an AGM setting - the float voltages are apparently different. A cheaper controller that is intended solely to charge common wet-cell batteries may not be right for your situation.

Your AGM battery is not a factor in the choice between MPPT vs PWM. That choice is driven by the fact that you have a high-voltage panel, designed for 24 volt systems (not 12 volt systems). For this situation, an MPPT controller is a good idea, since it will get as much of the panel's rated 160 watts as possible into your battery. A PWM controller (your second link) won't harvest nearly as much power from your 24-volt panel (it would do much better with a 12-volt panel).

Beyond that, some PWM controllers may not handle your panel's 43 volts open circuit output.

Comments from the experts?

Bill

rickst29
02-05-2016, 03:52 PM
The BN costs twice as much, because sellers who still have the older 'RN' in stock know that the price will continue to drop on the old ones, and their best choice is to sell them as quickly as possible (at a steep loss). Don't go for it - the old ones lack certain features, and the quality is not as good.

So, I'm pushing you from the $70 range into the $130 range. But you also need a 20A model , not the 10A. The current limit applies on both sides, and the MPPT will be running with much higher current into the lower voltage batteries. Roughly 160W / 14.4 yields more than 11.A in "perfect" conditions. That's too much for a '10A' Controller, and a bit of headroom would be a good idea anyway.

This kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221880833672 plus the separate RTS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272025445378

Craigrrr
02-05-2016, 04:02 PM
klpauba and Bill Thanks, I will listen to the experts here.
Rickst29... I am all ears.

Craigrrr
02-05-2016, 04:05 PM
The BN costs twice as much, because sellers who still have the older 'RN' in stock know that the price will continue to drop on the old ones, and their best choice is to sell them as quickly as possible (at a steep loss). Don't go for it - the old ones lack certain features, and the quality is not as good.

So, I'm pushing you from the $70 range into the $130 range. But you also need a 20A model , not the 10A. The current limit applies on both sides, and the MPPT will be running with much higher current into the lower voltage batteries. Roughly 160W / 14.4 yields more than 11.A in "perfect" conditions. That's too much for a '10A' Controller, and a bit of headroom would be a good idea anyway.

This kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221880833672 plus the separate RTS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272025445378

Ok so the first kit is a 10A you have listed but I should look for a BN only in a 20A model then?...

Craigrrr
02-05-2016, 04:16 PM
I found this kit 20A http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2215BN-Tracer-20A-12-24V-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller-with-MT50-Remote-Meter-/151971693719?hash=item2362380497:g:c1oAAOSwpzdWsWM b

scrubjaysnest
02-05-2016, 05:33 PM
FWIW I prefer the Morningstar product line. The only reason you need the MPPT is the panel Voc and Vmp. The ideal ratio is 2:1 but 4:1 a lot of people use. Take a look at a 30 amp Morningstar and the second panel can be placed on the front shell and wired in parallel. I'm not familiar with the Tracer CC's so have to go with Rickst29 on that one.

What ever you get it needs remote temp sense and would be nice to have remote battery voltage sense. This is especially true for a high dollar AGM battery.

I just finished installing two 17# panels on the rear shell for a total weight of 34# no problem.

I can't see any reason to spend extra money for the AGM. With the AGM you will need to disable the Equalize function on the CC unless the jumper or switch setting for AGM takes care of it.

You equalize FLA's because of liquid stratification and sulfur build up on the plates.

Padgett
02-06-2016, 08:03 AM
With 24v (nom) I would put them in parallel.

Have been using little (80ma) float chargers for years on both FLA and AGM. May not be entirely a good idea but woks.

An AGM can sulphate. Had one Optima that looked bad recover after a number of desulphate cycles.

I have two FLA GC2s in the TM and they ware working well with a little float.

Final element you may want is a clean 1KW 120v inverter for running things like electronics off battery/solar.

Craigrrr
02-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Sxcrubjaysnest, Glad to hear 34 pounds is not a problem for the shell. I too had Morningstar CC on my popup camper solar, but it was a small 10 a for the 75 watt panel seemed to do just fine, then one day it crapped out and bought this http://renewableenergyengineering.com/listings/cc-12-16-AES.html. Still have it but it is only for 12 volts . But has been working for a few yrs. I will look into the Morningstar line also for Mppt

Craigrrr
02-06-2016, 08:36 AM
With 24v (nom) I would put them in parallel.

Have been using little (80ma) float chargers for years on both FLA and AGM. May not be entirely a good idea but woks.

An AGM can sulphate. Had one Optima that looked bad recover after a number of desulphate cycles.

I have two FLA GC2s in the TM and they ware working well with a little float.

Final element you may want is a clean 1KW 120v inverter for running things like electronics off battery/solar.

I am only going to install one of the 2 large panels on the rear shell, the front has too much stuff not enough room. I know the AGM batteries like a low voltage for float I think it is to be not higher than 13.6 volts So I want to make sure any controller I get can be set for that voltage.

rickst29
02-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Sorry that I linked a 10A offering above. You found the right one. :DI found this kit 20A http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2215BN-Tracer-20A-12-24V-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller-with-MT50-Remote-Meter-/151971693719?hash=item2362380497:g:c1oAAOSwpzdWsWM b
FWIW I prefer the Morningstar product line.

My issues with the smallest Morningstar is the relatively low power handling, and slightly low Panel Voltage. It's a superior product for just the one panel, but It cannot handle adding a second: The SS-MPPT-15L can only handle a maximum of about 200W of panels. 'Scrubjaysnest' and I have agreed, elsewhere, for several reasons, that 200-320W seems to be optimal power for a boondock-capable TM configuration. (The limiting factor of the SS-MPPT-15L being 15A into the battery bank. The relatively low Panel Voltage limit would also force twin panels to be wired in Parallel, causing a bit more wiring loss.)

A 15A controller "tops out" at the bottom of the desirable power range range, and the bigger Morningstar models cost a lot more money. (More than $300, plus another $100 for one of the Morningstar monitors - althoug they also provide capabilities which are superior to EP's MT-50).

Morningstar controllers are the best - but EP Solar has 'made up' a lot of the difference in these newer models. The relatively high quality and super-low prices of the 'BN' product line basically pushed my own Manufacturer out of the business. Unless you want to fixate on statistical information, the new Tracers are virtually as good as the Morningstars - and virtually as good as my own *high-end* Rogue. I recently had a Tracer 2215BN attached to my TM for testing purposes (with MT-50 and RTS/BTS). In comparison to the Rogue, I found it equally effective at putting power into the batteries. My only 'major' complaint with the EP 'BN' product line is the shape of the Battery Temp Sensor, which should have been built as a ring terminal.

The Battery Charge Characteristics in the 'BN' are completely configurable via the MT-50, although there is a "password" nag to get into Settings: It will seem unnecessarily complicated the first time you go into it. IIRC, they offer a 'set' of presets for AGM as a "battery type", but you'll almost certainly want to fine-tune those presets to the specific values recommended by your battery manufacturer. (I used the MT-50 to tune some changes for SLA "boost" Voltage, and some other things... it went pretty well, and changes are non-volatile during battery and PV disconnects.)

Because I ran out of time, I didn't try the Tracer's computer interface for MS-Windows, even though the Windows program is my favorite interface for working with the Rogue 'monitor history' tables and settings.

Craigrrr
02-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Thanks rickst29. Appreciate the info.