PDA

View Full Version : Trying things out before the first camp trip

Craigrrr
12-22-2015, 06:43 PM
We have gone camping on Christmas Day for years now, This year will be in the TM . Furnace works great , gonna need it, as I see it will be 32 degrees at 7 am where we are going to be camping. then warm up to a cozy 55* and rain is in the forecast as well. So tv works and the games are packed. DW is getting into the TM now and put some lights on the inside for now, there are more to come, trust me.

BrucePerens
12-22-2015, 08:30 PM
If you're going to a campsite with electricity, bring a small electric heater. The propane furnace is noisy and wasteful. You should really only have to do the initial warm-up with propane.

Craigrrr
12-22-2015, 08:36 PM
If you're going to a campsite with electricity, bring a small electric heater. The propane furnace is noisy and wasteful. You should really only have to do the initial warm-up with propane.

Good Idea, I will bring a small ceramic heater that I have. Thanks Bruce.

LoveToCamp
12-22-2015, 09:17 PM
I like the festive lights!

"propane furnace is noisy"

I have heard this for a long time. Never felt it was too loud. Used the AC for the first time last summer. AC is much louder, in our opinion.

I have used the furnace 5 nights this winter, and never had trouble sleeping, nor having a conversation. AC, on the other hand....

tentcamper
12-23-2015, 09:49 AM
looks nice, have fun. We have found down to 32 degrees, all we need is one 1500 Watt elec heater to keep the inside up to 65.

Padgett
12-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Murphy's law of camping: Anything you carry a spare for won't fail.

BrucePerens
12-23-2015, 02:13 PM
We went to Point Reyes last month and Valerie (my wife) had to put in earplugs for the fan noise. Our home is really quiet so she's not used to hearing anything at night. We were camping below freezing so the heater ran a lot. The water hose froze and there was ice in the gray water tank. I'll have to be more careful next time.

Craigrrr
12-23-2015, 03:32 PM
I hope I don't see too many below freezing nights. My wife (Linda) is planning another trip in January to North Las Vegas already and we have not even had this out yet for the first time. I found some water leaks at the bath faucet and both showers , and a couple at the fresh water tank, got the water tanks taken care of, just a matter of tightening the hose clamps.

Redtail Cruiser
12-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Enjoy your first TM camping trip, Craig. + 1 on the ceramic heater.

Craigrrr
12-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone. We are looking forward to the madden voyage.

Sanitizing the fresh water tank now, will drain and rinse tomorrow.

HIKERZ
12-28-2015, 07:08 AM
we use an oil filled radiant heater and find it also works well. Silent and efficient.

Craigrrr
12-29-2015, 10:58 AM
I think I might have one of those up in the attic, from my move from the Midwest.

jscapps
02-02-2016, 08:33 PM
The Furnace works ok but your right it is noisy and wasteful, uses lots of gas! Not only that but it runs the camper gets hot then goes off and then gets cold again! we just use a ceramic heater with a thermostat on it. Works great! You might want 2 heaters if going to be cold, we have a tv shelf in the bed area, turn it on as low as you can and keep the bed area warm, to high and you'll get to hot in bed!