PDA

View Full Version : Minimal Solar & Battery Maintenance

argheebe
08-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Hello to all TMers out there.

My current setup is NOT with full-usage-solar and I don't believe I will be using such a setup in the near future. (But I remain flexible and open to suggestions in that regard).

What I am interested in is this:

Does anyone out there have a solar setup that is used for the following reason:

Battery maintenance while the batteries remain in the TM (avoiding the necessity of removing them from their compartment in the off-season)

I have given thought to using a portable solar kit such as Renogy, Zamp, Go Power, etc. I have 2 - 6v deep cycles. I am not totally sure what kit size would be needed for my purposes
but I do believe that portability is the way to go. Cost is a consideration but convenience, efficiency and practicality is important.

Using the "kit" for the intended purposes while traveling/camping would be nice and using the "kit" while the TM is in storage would eliminate the need to remove/store/re-install those heavy battery devices.

I appreciate any advice that you can give to me. I have researched this subject quite a bit and haven't really found the solution that I am hoping for just yet. There is a lot of great info on the TMO forum.

Thank you all!
Ron

Padgett
08-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Since mine is under cover when not using, I have run a connection to the rear bumper area and have a little float charger (http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html) there. Been using them for years since am one person and have a number of vehicles.

Two GC2s are a bit more than rated but it seems happy.

argheebe
08-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Thanks Padgett for your comments.
The dilemma that I have is that, if I am not traveling/camping with the TM, it is under canvas cover at a storage lot. There is no power available for a battery tender. I am contemplating leaving
the canvas cover off during storage and just opening the portable solar panel and positioning them on the roof of the TM (laying flat most likely), thus getting my battery maintenance accomplished
without having to remove them from the TM. Having the convenience of the panels for battery maintenance during storage periods is nice but having the portability of the panels during traveling/camping is also a plus
-- I think.

Padgett
08-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Think in that case if a secure location I'd consider one of the self-contained 10-15W panels like this (http://www.harborfreight.com/13-watt-briefcase-solar-charger-68750.html) and just attach to the top of the cover.

Kidkraz
08-09-2015, 06:13 PM
argheebe, When I bought my TM, having a solar panel installed was an option I took advantage of. I don't remove my 12V battery, but do service it as required. It keeps my battery charged up nicely and I could not be happier with it. This weekend on a camping trip a friends class A camper battery died on her. She has a trickle charge for the motor battery, but nothing for the RV side. We got her fixed enough to keep the fridge running and get her home. She'll get the battery replaced and is now looking at getting a small solar panel to keep that battery charged too. I also educated her on how to service and what to look for when checking the fluid level.
I would love to hear on what system you decide on when you figure it out, so I can pass along ideas.

LoveToCamp
08-09-2015, 08:16 PM
I have a mounted solar panel, and a cover. I cut a hole in the cover specifically to allow the panel to keep the batteries charged while in sotrage. It does a great job, and I don't worry about having charged batteries.

I also have installed an isolation switch, so I can cut all power from the batteries to the trailer, but allows the batteries to charge from solar. I use the cutoff when I won't be using the TM for a few weeks. This makes sure there is not a parasitic draw (damn radio antenna!) to combat the solar. Yes, solar is more than sufficient to replace parasitic draw, but if I leave the fridge on by mistake, the isolation switch kills all use.

Padgett
08-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Well for me removing the cover would be minimal help since under a natural canopy (cover is more to keep leaves, sap, and the occasional lemon off). I did put in a disconnect to separate the batteries and solar from the coach/inverter and a switch to separate the solar from the batteries. There is a fused connection box under the rear bumper cover to attach the little float charger to the batteries.

Did I miss anything ?