PDA

View Full Version : RV Emergency Road Service

03-30-2003, 08:24 AM
It's time to renew my Good Sam ERS, but at ~$99+the $20 Good Sam dues, I'm thinking of going back to AAA.

The ERS is great- they always call to make sure someone showed up, but the cost is high compared to the other benefits of AAA.

I really think the AAA "Show your card & save" discounts would have added up over the past year.  We avoid commercial campgrounds, so haven't really used the Good Sam discount.  $70+49 for my wife = $119.  Same cost.

Any thoughts, other options, etc.  Allstate has $89 RV coverage, but again the AAA discounts add up.

BOB_STRONG
03-30-2003, 09:04 AM
Dan,

I have State Farm insurance and for a few dollars you can add the towing coverage to your policy. I had the Good Sam one, but I let it expire and went back to AAA. There a lot of campgrounds that offer AAA discounts plus with the AAA Plus membership you get more miles that they will tow you. Most places that offer the Good Sam discount also will offer the AAA discount. Unless you want the book that they send, then your best bet is the AAA membership.

Bob Strong

Paul_Heuvelhorst
03-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Dan,
Make sure you check AAA coverage.  When I considered it about 5 years ago, I learned that CSAA would not tow the trailer if our truck needed towing... they let the trailer sit on the side of the road.  Good Sam, and some others that specialize in RV ERS include towing the truck and the trailer, usually sending 2 tow trucks to properly complete the job.

Make sure you check the fine print on all of the policies.  We use Good Sam ERS... have never needed it, but like all insurance... when we do need it we'll be glad we have it.

Happy, trouble-free, travels,

Paul_Heuvelhorst
04-01-2003, 03:18 PM
I understand there are regions in the nation where AAA does tow both vehicle and trailer.  :D  However, beware that if there are regions where this is true, there may also be regions where that service is not available.   ??? It was not available in Calif. when I applied, and I understood that towing service could be denied in certain areas.  :-[

That is why I suggested you read all the fine print before signing on the dotted line and handing over your check.   :'(

KdHammonds
04-02-2003, 10:39 AM
I am also in the position of having to consider my emergency road service coverage.  I currently have AAA Plus and could upgrade to RV plus.  However, The Good Sam ERS sounds very good.  Does anyone have any first hand experience with Good Sam ERS?   AAA has always served me well with vehicle problems, but we are new to the whole RV ERS.

Thanks,

Keith

04-02-2003, 12:06 PM
We have been very pleased with Good Sam ERS for our 'regular' vehicles.  We get an automated call back with an estimate of when  the assistance will arrive, and another to confirm that they showed up.  Never a problem, and they'll tow it wherever we want (within reason I'm sure).

We have not needed it for the TrailManor since we got the ERS right after our tire blowout.

Regarding AAA towing both vehicles, I asked and got it in writing:

"Correct.  If the vehicle that's pulling the trailer breaks down,  AAA will
tow both the broken down vehicle and the trailer!  I can mail our Membership
Handbook to you and have the section you need highlighted.  If you would
like this, please e-mail me back with your address or PO Box."

I'll read the 'fine print' when I get it.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
04-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Hi KdHammonds,
Aside from having GS ERS for the past 3 years, I can't attest to how good the service is... I've never had to use it.  It covers both of our vehicles and our travel trailer.  I have called them for a variety of information brochures and they are very prompt in sending the info.

Be aware, when you give GS your name & address, you will be bombarded with "junk mail" offering you deals on just about everything under the sun that you can think of, and then some.  Be ready to fill up your paper recycling bin about twice as fast as you presently do.  ::)

KdHammonds
04-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback on Good Sam ERS.  I am already a member of Good Sam and value the Campground Directory and Highways Magazine.  Therefore, I will most likely maintain my Good Sam membership regardless of my decision regarding ERS service.  

Thanks Again for any and all advice.

Keith

04-17-2003, 02:07 PM
I received the AAA Membership Benefit Guide.

The section they highlighted says "...to include...travel trailers"; however, page 6 says "You will be required to pay for trailer towing." if the tow vehicle breaks down.

I'll probably stay with my Good Sam ERS, which will also cover towing the trailer if the tow vehicle breaks down.