PDA

View Full Version : Flexible panels

funpilot
10-02-2014, 08:20 AM
In the latest RV-PRO magazine, there is an article on solar. The one that caught my eye for TM was one from this company:

http://gpelectric.com/products/solar-flex-kits-modules

Look at the video on the right that at the end shows them dancing on the panels. Two things I like about it. First, the panels are only 1/8 inch thick so no additional drag or appreciable weight. Second, I wonder if all or part of it could go under the front portion when closed so that there is almost zero possibility of losing one when towing? Can that even be done?

I do appreciate that if one could do that they would lose being able to charge up when the TM is closed, so I am interested in your sage advice on the pros and cons of this type of solar panel and whether placing it so it is covered when the TM is closed is a good idea. Thanks.

mecicon
10-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Those are pretty cool.:)

ThePair
10-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Thought about this myself some time back, but no one had any experience with them.

LoveToCamp
10-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Looks like a good idea, if the price is right. Mount with 3M VHB tape around the edges and an "X" through the middle, then caulk, and they should be on as long as you want them on!

While they may fit under the closed front shell, you will have wires to contend with. They would have to go down the side, inside the front shell. Not a problem. But, I like having mine charge while in storage. I cut a hole in my cover, so my panel is exposed. Always fully-charged.

Riwright
10-03-2014, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't mount a flexible panel so that it goes under the front shell while closed.

The first reason is that you have a lot of exposed area on the back shell without doing that. I've got 240 watts of conventional panels back there. You can probably fit all the wattage you need.

While you are riding down the road the bag seal will ride against the panel, possibly damaging it over the long term.

The panel may not charge well with part of it shaded. Good charging while closed is fairly important. at least in my situation. If I camp for a weekend in a shady spot the real charging takes place when the camper is back on the storage lot. The panel will also help power the frig on DC while traveling.

The flexible panel is a good idea, I didn't go that way because of the cost. My panels are heavy and it is harder to get the rear shell up even with the torsion bar maxed out. With flexible panels I wouldn't have that problem.

Another thing I would advise is to mount the panels so that they can be cleaned easily while standing on the ground. Efficiency is greatly reduced with dusty panels. I have to clean mine before every trip. Being able to get to them from the ground really helps.

Redtail Cruiser
10-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Riwright,

"Another thing I would advise is to mount the panels so that they can be cleaned easily while standing on the ground. Efficiency is greatly reduced with dusty panels. I have to clean mine before every trip. Being able to get to them from the ground really helps."

I use to think that this was true, but I found out that it has a very little effect.

I conducted an experiment on my home system, in that I monitored my production for three days with dirty panels then got on the roof of my garage and pressure washed them super clean and squeeged them dry. Then took production readings for the next three days. All six days were full sun on the system and the result was my production only increased by 2% from dirty to clean.

So now I don't sweat keeping them as clean as I use to.

funpilot
10-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Riwright... I was not comfortable with the idea of mounting them so they could be covered, and your argument against it was persuasive. Challenge I will have is that I am adding a vent back there so will not know how much space that will leave. Is there any reason why the solar panels are not mounted on the front roof?

clan_salmons
10-03-2014, 03:23 PM
I've got a Renogy flexible panel, but chose not to mount it. I'm almost always in trees so I'm fine with chasing the sun. Mounting it with 3M VHB would be the way to go and weight certainly isn't an issue. If I ever decide to make it permanent, I would make it a front mount as well. I'm not sure how well it would withstand a tree branch hitting it. I've got some pretty good roof dents and lost a vent due to falling branches.

I wrote it up here in post 78 if you are interested:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13865&page=8

Overall it has performed well. I just toss it in the truck whenever I'm going to be off grid for more than 4-5 days. A good afternoon of sun and I'm good for days. I connect it at home every now and then to keep the batteries up.

LoveToCamp
10-03-2014, 09:40 PM
funpilot, I mounted my panel on the front shell on my first 2417. I didn't have problems with it, other than the weight. While it wasn't much, even with my torsion bars maxed, it was harder to lift than before I mounted my hard panel.

I ordered my current 2417 wired for solar, with the controller mounted by TM, but no panel. They were putting a lower-wattage panel on than I wanted. They wired it to the back shell, so that is where I mounted my hard panel. I see no advantage to mounting in back, other than maybe the torsion bars have more leeway for adjustment than the fronts. Maybe.

If I do a flex panel, I will put it on the front. I don't have room for a second panel on my back shell, since I have less roof exposed on my shorter trailer. Just have to run enough wire to get to the controller.

Riwright
10-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Riwright... I was not comfortable with the idea of mounting them so they could be covered, and your argument against it was persuasive. Challenge I will have is that I am adding a vent back there so will not know how much space that will leave. Is there any reason why the solar panels are not mounted on the front roof?

There are lot of obstructions on the front roof. The rear shell was conpletely clear. Lots of open space.

Why are you putting a vent in the back shell? I considered that too but went another way. I made a mounting hook for an endless breeze (same motor as a fantastic vent) and put it in front of the back window. Works pretty good and no holes in the roof to worry with. You do have to set it up and knock it down though.

funpilot
10-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Why are you putting a vent in the back shell? I considered that too but went another way. I made a mounting hook for an endless breeze (same motor as a fantastic vent) and put it in front of the back window. Works pretty good and no holes in the roof to worry with. You do have to set it up and knock it down though.

Making me think ... So, where do you plug it in?

Riwright
10-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Making me think ... So, where do you plug it in?

Well, I did a little re-wiring of the trailer. Actually not a little, a LOT, but that's another post...

I put a 3 position set of 12 volt outlets at the end of the hallway under the end of the bed. I run a 12 volt extension cord under the mattress to the fan. The extension cord stays in place between trips.

Outlets are here:

http://www.electronicplus.com/prodSearch.asp?prod_search=SC-3028-3P-B&Submit=Search

Running power from the converter wouldn't be that hard as it is close by.

I put three sets of there in the trailer. I have 12 volt lamps, gadget chargers, fans, etc.. Since almost never camp with AC so I have a lot of 12 volt stuff.

funpilot
10-04-2014, 02:44 PM
LOL, you convinced me to get the additional vent in the roof as I have no skills to do what you did!

rickst29
10-12-2014, 01:05 PM

The location of batteries varies: Mine are on the front tongue, so the shortest wiring distance called for a front shell installation - and the front shell also has vastly more room for panels. The issue with my installation is weight, although it isn't too difficult after adjusting the torsion bars. (I've got 2x100 Watt Renogy on "standard" mounts, glued to the roof with 2-sided VHB). Renogy offers the 100W Mono flex panels at $199, only $50 more than list price for the "heavy" 100W panels I use. These lightweight panels would completely avoid that problem, and allow 3 panels on the front shell (with very little weight). My installation, for reference: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102764&postcount=9

gocntry
10-15-2014, 06:01 PM
In the latest RV-PRO magazine, there is an article on solar. The one that caught my eye for TM was one from this company:

http://gpelectric.com/products/solar-flex-kits-modules

I do appreciate that if one could do that they would lose being able to charge up when the TM is closed, so I am interested in your sage advice on the pros and cons of this type of solar panel and whether placing it so it is covered when the TM is closed is a good idea. Thanks.

I was looking at Go Power flexible panels for a future upgrade, It looked like I could fit 2-100 watt panels that would fit on the rear shell of my 2720 and be exposed with it closed up. (Pdf flyer attached).

And I also saw this http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_258_20/flexible_100_watt_solar_panel.html