PDA

View Full Version : Rain on the Rooftop

rovering
07-22-2014, 02:51 PM
We just got back from a trip in the Sierras. Left early due to the rain and how loud it was from inside the TM. There was no way we could sleep in there. It sounded like we had a tin roof. Just curious how others have experienced their TM in rainy weather.

MisterP
07-22-2014, 02:54 PM
I suspect the sound is pretty much the same for everyone. The difference is whether it bothers a person or not. Me, not so much.

Digger
07-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Love the sound of rain on the roof, puts me to sleep.

TrailManorMan
07-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Love the sound of rain on the roof, puts me to sleep.

Me too!

rvcycleguy
07-22-2014, 04:29 PM
It does get loud sometimes. Reminds me of hail. We have gotten used to it over time. We remember and appreciate being inside and can gaze out the windows at campers who are not so fortunate.

scrubjaysnest
07-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Rainy nights are the best

LoveToCamp
07-22-2014, 05:30 PM
I guess we have gotten used to it through our tenting, then pop-up, then TM experience. As with rvcycleguy, we appreciate that we are warm and dry, and not worried about canvas dripping on us.

Hail, on the other hand, is very loud, and we don't sleep through that.

Padgett
07-22-2014, 06:24 PM
I turn my hearing aids off at night. That said there was no problem watching a World Cup match during horizontal rain at Sebastian.

tentcamper
07-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Reminds me of rain on an aluminum roof. lol Joking aside, when the rain is heavy and you have the big drops, it can be loud,

moaboy
07-23-2014, 03:35 PM
That's why foam earplugs were invented. Reduces the noise to a soothing dull roar...sweet dreams indeed.

Tunces
07-24-2014, 08:21 AM
We really like the sound of the rain at night,it puts us to sleep.

Padgett
07-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Guess if a bother you could always put a tarp over the roof.

rvcycleguy
07-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Guess if a bother you could always put a tarp over the roof.

Don't think that will make it any less noisy. A solution would be to install a rubber roof.

Padgett
07-24-2014, 09:28 AM
So buy a rubber tarp...

Actually was thinking more of a frame so the tarp does not touch the roof like a safari cover.

rvcycleguy
07-24-2014, 09:59 AM
So buy a rubber tarp...

Actually was thinking more of a frame so the tarp does not touch the roof like a safari cover.

which will catch water and get so heavy, break and collapse on the TM roof.

Padgett
07-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Not if you take care. I have a tarp on mine and despite being in the monsoon season the water just runs off. The AC raises the center and have placed some noodles front and rear to keep off the surface.

rvcycleguy
07-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Not if you take care. I have a tarp on mine and despite being in the monsoon season the water just runs off. The AC raises the center and have placed some noodles front and rear to keep off the surface.

Sounds like a storage method not a camping method. I've got enough gear to tend to now without thinking about storing more stuff because it might rain and keep me up at night. Thanks anyway.

rv

TrailManorMan
07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a storage method not a camping method. I've got enough gear to tend to now without thinking about storing more stuff because it might rain and keep me up at night. Thanks anyway.

rv

Me too! Doesn't bother us, kind of goes with camping.....

Padgett
07-24-2014, 04:00 PM
This is a strange group. Was trying to suggest a solution for someone and already said it didn't bother me but "all of the negative waves Moriarty".

B_and_D
07-24-2014, 07:48 PM
That's why foam earplugs were invented. Reduces the noise to a soothing dull roar...sweet dreams indeed.

I always have several pairs of these in the TM; they also help with loud neighbors and yapping dogs.

We have used a canvas tarp over the roof at the beach under some huge eucalyptus trees that dripped with fog. It worked fairly well, but earplugs are much less of a hassle.

BGR123
07-30-2014, 01:40 AM
This is a strange group. Was trying to suggest a solution for someone and already said it didn't bother me but "all of the negative waves Moriarty".

The tarp over the shell is a good idea, had the same thought. Just when you thought you were trying to help someone solve a problem someone else rains on your parade (pun intended) :rolleyes:.

GA Judy
09-28-2014, 06:41 PM
...overhead broken limbs falling on the roof! Now that's a sound to wake the dead. Love the sound of rain on the roof.