PDA

View Full Version : To Ed (Digger) re panels

gjmaker95
04-05-2014, 05:00 AM
I am interested in your solar panel array, Ed. Do you mind sharing how much it set you back and how easy/difficult it was to install?

Gregg
3023 KB
2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
TM Newbie

Digger
04-07-2014, 10:15 AM
I bought the Solar system in 2000. We just spent 4 months on the road this past winter and only had hookups three nights so I really like my solar panels. Hearing all the hype about Quartzsite I thought I could get a good deal there, wrong. With tax, it was a little over $600 for one panel. I looked on line and found two 120w panels for $540 plus delivery. I also bought a TriStar controller for $146 that I mounted in the rear compartment close to the batteries. I also installed a battery monitor, another $142 and a 1000 watt inverter $$??. I hinged an aluminum leg to each panel so I could set them any place that would face the sun. Be sure to anchor them down so the wind doesn’t blow them over. I used about 30 ft of 8-gauge wire to connect then to the controller. I use a 40-amp plug/receptacle that is made for trolling motors about $20. I drilled a 1” hole in the rear of the TM to mount the receptacle and connected the plug to the end of the wires so it’s a quick disconnect setup. I have two 6v golf cart batteries that rarely go below 90 percent. I have a sat tv that I have on a lot in the evenings. I switched out the light bulbs from the lights we use the most for LED’s and that made a huge difference. Three of the incandescent bulbs use as much power as the sat receiver and tv. I have a Honda 2000 gen. That was only used when the DW ran the microwave or her hair dryer. We used a total of 2 gal of gas all winter. When traveling I pull the couch out into a bed and lay one panel on it then cover it with a couple of blankets and lay the other one on top. Not the best solution I guess but it’s worked for 7 years. I think I could have gotten by just as good with two 80w panels but it is nice to have the extra power when needed and on cloudy days.

Ed