PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend NP

Mike_S
11-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Does anyone have experience camping in the Chisos Basin of Big Bend NP? There is a recommended limit on trailer length of 20 ft for the road into the Basin but I wondered if this is a strictly enforced rule or can be fudged a bit for the smaller models of TM.

I don't yet own a Trailmanor but they sound great. I hope to be in the market soon.

Thanks.

Windbreaker
11-06-2003, 02:52 PM
It has been some years ago but at that time it was enforced. The problem is that longer trailers present a danger to themselves and other traffic on the way up and down.

Things may have changed, I don't know. However there was, up to about 5 months ago camps for RVs by the river. It is my guess that they are still there. But be forwarned, camping in that park is under review ATT and may well be lost because of the low air quality in the park. (caused mostly by electric plants in Mexico, how camping impacts air quality was not made clear)

Chris_Bauer
11-06-2003, 07:34 PM
I sent an email about a month ago regarding the 20ft limit. They said anyone can try to go up but it is not recommended and could hamper other vehicles because of sharp curves.

The Big Bend Ranch which is a Texas State Park, has many campgrounds along the river but all are primitive sites. We are going to the river area for a couple of days and then to the Natl Park.

I've never heard anything about the air quality though, here in Mexico we have fairly new power plants at least newer and cleaner than those in California.

Windbreaker
11-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Chris air quality in BB has been a hot topic for about the past 8 years or so. The rangers say the problem is from coal fired power plants in Mexico. Each year the park must revise it's mission statement to reflect new or developing conditions. They post ads in the local papers for persons wishing to make input. Then it all goes to Washington and they do what ever they want.

You are right about the BB ranch. I think the views there are better than that offered in BBNP. Also next fall I am co hosting a rally in the Davis Mts State Park the weekend after Labor day. The BB Ballon Bash is Labor Day as is the Marfa lights festival. I would be honored if you would care to join us for a week or so (we will be going up Thursday before Labor Day and staying untill the Monday week after Labor Day.

This rally will be right on the edge of our chapter boundry so I can't even guess how many folks will show up but the park will hold 36 units (I think, will have to check on that). I'm thinking of inviting the Rocky Mts. chapter also. They did the ballon thing in N. M. year before last but they may want to join us anyway.

Just in case any one does not know, there is lots to do there and I will put up a page about the middle of Dec. with lots of information. All are welcome! If we need extra spaces there is the ranch that we may have BBQ and a show at just three miles down the road and they have 15 or 20 slots also.

Chris_Bauer
11-07-2003, 05:16 AM
Windbreaker,

You are right, Mexico's Carbon I and Carbon II power plants are big contributors to the haze created at Big Bend.

( COPIED QUOTE)
However, in addition to the recently released binational summary, a study released on April 27, 1998 by the Galveston-Houston Association for Smog Prevention (GHASP) and the Lone Star Chapter of the Sierra Club challenges that view. According to that study, at least 43 percent of the state's (Texas) roughly 2,500 industrial plants are heavily if not totally grandfathered and account for some 37% of all industry-generated air pollution in the state.

A legacy left behind from the late 1990s by a governor of Texas.

I just want to give my country a chance to defend itself too although any pollution needs no defending.

We are really looking forward to the trip and any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I have heard that many people go to Big Bend for Christmas and that everything is first come first serve.

I hope you get you page up and running because a lot of people are unaware of what the state of Texas has to offer, a very diverse state.

BTW, where do you live in Texas? Keep us posted on your event which will take place after Labor Day.

jml74
11-07-2003, 02:20 PM
This past April/May my Wife and I went camping in the Basin. A tour bus made it up there, while it was a short one, it was well over 24ft in length. I was a bit surprised to see that though...

Windbreaker
11-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Chris I don't really think of BB as being a part of Texas, it is surrounded by Mexico on three sides, it is more Mexican in nature, culture and geology than Texan.

We live in Del Rio but travel a lot, most springs and falls we are out of here. We summer here because of the pool in the back yard and winter here because it's not as cold as most other places. So the summer and winter are devoted to the arts and getting fatter.

As soon as I get the page up I will post here. Nothing would make me happier than to fill that park for two weeks. Greet old friends and make new ones.

Windbreaker
11-07-2003, 04:28 PM
jml78, I think the 20 foot limit is on trailers. You get that 20 plus the 16 to 20 of the TV then add 3 for the hitch and you're talking maybe 43 feet. Anything over that would be pushing it on those curves.

Chris_Bauer
11-08-2003, 07:07 AM
Windbreaker,

We really enjoyed our last trip through west Texas. We stopped in Del Rio at Lake Amistad. I can't recall the name of the place we stayed but it was remote and primitive. That was my first dry camping experience with the TM and it was great. Very quiet, peaceful and a great sunset. We plan on stopping their on our way to BB. Balmorhea State Park is another nice place if you enjoy bird watching. Also very quiet and peaceful.

jml74
11-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Windbreaker.. quite true.. We were just surprised to see a tour bus there restuarant. Those last curves are pretty tight.

Mike_S
11-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Thank you for all the input.

Concerning entering the Basin, it sounds like a 2720 with a closed length of 20 ft 3 inches would be o.k., assuming good road conditions and little traffic.

I did drive a rented Class C motorhome in there once...I am sure it was less than 24 ft but I don't remember exactly. It was good weather and almost no traffic. I don't have a lot of towing experience, so I wasn't sure about that.

I want to go back and camp in many of those places. However, I will always will be a little partial to the Basin. I first saw it on a tent camping trip nearly 30 years ago. We got there near dark on Christmas Eve and then had a freezing rain and wind all night long. Got little sleep and some things got wet. But at dawn on Christmas Day, we looked out and there was a thick layer of ice on everything, with some snow. There was a halo of clouds on the surrounding peaks...just jaw dropping beauty that I haven't forgotten. Enough to make you ignore the physical discomfort...for awhile.

The road was closed for a number of days and people who had reservations for the cabins in the Basin couldn't reach them. We quickly bailed out of the tent into a cabin!

Also, the air was much clearer back then. It is a pity that (except for maybe a few days a year), younger people don't have an opportunity to see all those scenes out there in their true beauty.

Bruce
11-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Friends of ours had a TM 3326. They were leaving Big Bend NP and hit a patch of ice on the road. They slid off the road and the TM became unhitched and rolled over. There was some damage to their tow vehicle but the TM was totaled - they sent me pictures and it looked like a trailer home after a hurricane hit.
A state trooper drove up to inspect the accident and wrote them a ticket. Even though they were driving well under the posted speed limit he cited them for failure to stay on the road!
Nice cops there in TX.
Thanks for the Big Bend stories. I hope to get there myself someday.

Bruce

Windbreaker
11-27-2003, 08:07 PM
This was like now? We were there last weekend and it was 85! We had a really great time! Well at Alpine not BB.

jerry
01-31-2004, 05:27 PM
i m a new member..i m quite surprised that chris bauer s slam dunk of george bush is allowed to stand..i was told no politics ..please...besides its not true...tks jerry.big bend.s a wonderful place ..contact..www.visitbigbend.com it ll answer a lot of questions..thanks..might add the summer months are real real hot..except up in the basin..enjoy....

jerry
01-31-2004, 05:29 PM
oh i forgot..im the jerry who has the testimonial on the trail manor web pages..try sante fe national forests..in new mexico..

Chris_Bauer
02-01-2004, 05:54 AM
Please read the following regarding Texas pollution and the Sierra Club. If you would like my post removed pls advise and I will do so.

http://texas.sierraclub.org/TexasLegislature/EIS/grandfather.html

Chris Bauer

P.S. I don't play basketball ;D.

mjlaupp
02-01-2004, 06:44 PM
If you would like my post removed pls advise and I will do so.

Please don't remove your post. There were a lot more grandfathered sites in all of the states during that same time period. Perhaps you could edit your post to indicate the time period in place of the governers name? That might appease the people who are overly sensitive to political inuendo.

MJL ;) :o

Chris_Bauer
02-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Mike,

I took your great advice and have modified my previous post. I hope that everyone has taken the opportunity to read the site page I posted the other day. It is valuable information and affects all of us especially as people who enjoy the great outdoors. I don't like finger pointing and attempt to back my statements with facts. We should all support the Sierra Club. They are helping to protect what we enjoy so much.

jerry
02-03-2004, 05:51 AM
well. gosh i didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings..
sorry,when i read the do s and don't on the rules for members , i thought "great" although i agree the serria club does good..i think sometimes it tries to throw the baby out with the water..we should stick to the rules..no ad s for any organizations..so i m gonna resign and donate my 12 dollars to the spirit of the rules.. hey ..next it ll be lets all support "blah blah" so have fun and happy travling...jerry ...

Chris_Bauer
02-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Sorry you took offense. I am just presenting the facts about pollution in Big Bend. It gets old having a finger pointed your direction when half the blame is on the finger doing the pointing. Maybe this should be moved to OFF TOPIC section?

Either way, Big Bend is a real jewel in the Natl Park system. If you get to go, enjoy it.

jerry
02-04-2004, 05:32 PM
CHRIS..TKS FOR THE REPLY...BIG BEND IS A PLACE OF UNIQUE SPLENDOR AND ALMOST A SPIRTUAL NATURE..MAYBE THE POLLUTION CAN BE STOPPED WHAT EVER THE CAUSE OR WHERE..I M FOR IT ..I VE SPEND MOST OF MY LIFE IN THE AREA ..STUDIED GEOLOGY ON SCHOOL FIELD TRIPS..WHEN NO PAVED ROADS EXISTED AND THE BASIN HAD QUONSET HUTS.. OBVIOUSLY I HAVE A PASSION FOR BB...BY THE WAY VISIBILITY IN THOSE DAYS WAS 75 TO 80 MILES..ITS DOWN TO AROUND 40 MILES OR WAS LAST YEAR..I VE NO ARGUMENT WITH YOUR FACTS..JUST LEAVE THE POLITICS.OUT ..THIS ISNT A PLACE FOR IT..THERE ARE PLENTY OF PLACES THAT ARE FOR THAT...SO TAKE CARE ..THIS IS MY LAST TRANSMISSION ..I LL SEE YOU IN BB...LOL...OH YES ..TO THOSE WHO CARE TRY wwwVISITBIGBEND.COM...