PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a Confinement Wackadoodle

Goodyear Travels
10-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Confined spaces have always been challenging for me. I prefer the open sky and copious amounts of sunlight. Our Trailmanor, with its many windows and skylights was the best, hard-sided trailer-solution to my claustropbic tendencies. A general malais often sets in as evening approaches -- fueled by the prospect of strapping on a full-faced, apnea mask at bedtime.

Most of our 37 trips have been for 5-10 days each but this last excursion to Sedona was much better for me as a Confinement Wackadoodle. I decided to do everything I could to reduce clutter inside the TM. I purchased more clear plastic totes and kept as much stuff inside the SnugTop shell of our new (to us) Tundra. This was not always convenient but the TM felt more like it did the day we fell in love with it - on the dealer's lot.

No more coats hanging from the bathroom wall, no more backpacks or dog beds on the floor, no more kick-knacks filling all available space on the flaps, and cleared countertops. It felt spacious and open like it never did before and I was not beset by that little bit of confinement dread. Oh, I even stored my wife's crochet stuff in the tub - which worked just fine since we used the camp showers.

The Tundra with its shell now makes it possible for me to bring all the stuff I like to have with me - but it's no longer within our living space. God, it felt so good. I hope I'm the only Confinement Wackadoodle in the forum, but just in case I'm not alone, do everything you can to clear your living area and you will breathe and sleep better - I promise !

Ps. The Tundra belonged to Daryl Dragon and Toni Tennille, two beautiful souls we have the fortune of knowing. Please let some of their old pop take you back to simpler times.

MarkoPolo
10-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Ah, Toni Tennille! I played trumpet in a big band for 25 years and a staple was "All of Me". IMHO, no one has sung that as well as Toni. Kind of off topic--but sure brings back good memories.

countrygirl
10-27-2013, 07:21 PM
I hate clutter also. Bummer I thought the frowny face would post next to the sentence.

moneeleann
10-28-2013, 05:18 AM
Ahh, I can relate to this. Normally, I'm not clutterphobic. But in the camper, with all the kids...... OMG, it drives me nuts sometimes. I am DEFINITELY also looking for a system to reduce this.

ThePair
10-28-2013, 06:38 AM
I personally like having the wardrobe, but some prefer to remove it an create a more open space in the back of the TM. If you haven't tried this yet, it's a relatively easy and completely reversible modification. You can search the boards for directions, but it basically involves unscrewing one screw that limits the side-slide of the wardrobe, closing the bathroom walls, and then carefully sliding the whole assembly over the closed bathroom until it clears from the track.

Just another thing to think about :-)

Goodyear Travels
11-01-2013, 11:58 AM
I have definitely considered removing the wardrobe but we have equipped it with a shelving system and it contains all of our food items. Removing it would create other challenges. But if you're a wackadoodle like me -- strap a full, pressurized face mask to your head, lay back in bed under the low ceiling with a wardrobe just inches away from your face in the darkness (light frames the mask and makes it more problematic) -- and you've entered the lions den. Actually, I think I'd prefer lions. For me, it's a profound lesson in letting go. I can't push away or resist the feelings. When they come up, as they ALWAYS do -- I first acknowledge them -- "Oh, so you're back". And then I invite them to stay with me as long as they will. Often, the feelings will then fade away. And now you know with certainty -- I'm a genuine, certifiable, wackadoodle -- but I still love our little trailer. Thanks for your suggestion.