PDA

View Full Version : Rust on new models

tslon
11-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Just visited a dealer to see the Trailmanor models. At first, I was a little concerned on the quality until I realized it was because the materials are light weight. On further inspection on the exterior (and interior), I noticed rust on all bolts, pins, nuts and anything with a thread (really anything metal). I also saw over torqued bolts that crushed plates that flaked paint and caused rust. Nothing like looking at a white paint job with rust everywhere!

In a cluster with other brands of trailers, the Trailmanors where the only ones with this condition. Is this normal? They had three models (26,27,30) and all where in the same condition. Not sure if they were 2003 or 2004 but were all new.

Windbreaker
11-02-2003, 10:02 PM
I've never seen anything like it. Not even in older models. Was this at a TM dealership or just some dealership? They were passing them as new? Where is this place located?

Inquiring minds want to know.

tslon
11-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Yes at a Trailmanor dealer in Delaware! Yes they were not used. Bathrooms were still wrapped in plastic. I was very interested in TM until I saw this. I am worried that I would have to replace all hardware within the first year as I am very particular in how my vehicles look.

The interior of the 26 looked like it was falling apart that is why I was concerned with the quality but the other two did not seem to have this problem. All three did have sloppy construction of over spilled glue and lacking finished carpentry work (loose edging and over glued spots on appliances and trim). Is this just pre sales cleanup? For the price, I don't expect to deal with these issues for at least a year or so.

Cateye
11-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Please send me your e-mail address to: [email protected]

Bill
11-03-2003, 01:00 PM
PS, if this is not the dealer, please tell us who it is..
ThanksAnd at the same time, suggest that you expect $2000 off the listed price as a consideration for the condition ... That'll get some attention.

Bill

FishinFool
11-03-2003, 05:06 PM
I have a 2003 model 2619 that I purchased earlier this year and absolutely love. I live on the Texas gulf coast and actually expect bolts, stabilizers to rust but I have noticed they are rusting a little quicker than I thought they would.

I am very diligent about spraying off the camper after being at state parks near the beaches. The trailer is stored in the garage.

Any suggestions on sprays to put on these metal parts to slow the rusting process down?

Thanks much!

Windbreaker
11-03-2003, 08:20 PM
WD40 for moving parts, clearcoat for none moving parts. Both are sprays and go on easy. Any one who lives in high humidity, near salt or parks near swimming pools should use these products. Why don't I take my own advice? ???

tslon
11-03-2003, 08:46 PM
The dealer was J & S Trailer Sales in Laurel, DE.

I'm not sure that the dealer is to blame except for maybe keeping them up a little. I just wanted to know if that is common with the Trailmanors. I see from the posts that the lack of quality I saw was not common but all the rust seems to be. Is it that the Trailmanors have more exposed metal parts because of their unique design? Would they not use a different metal or at least treat it better.

I like the question from fishinfool. Is there a way to treat the metal. What do the rest of you do that don't have the rust problems. Does this seem to be a 2003 model problem?

arknoah
11-06-2003, 12:29 PM
I have noticed rust on the screw heads in our trailer as well, but no other issues or problems with the unit. In fact, I believe they are well made. Ours has a problem with the molding because our dealer had to find a short, and while he put it back together pretty well, and did the silicon seal thing, you can still see that this was not the original work.

You may also wish to look at the frame to see if there is rust on them. Part of that will be result of road salt, and other things that occur for all of us. You can deal with most if not all of that with a wire brush and paint, which I just see as part of the maintenance of the unit.

tslon
11-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Out of curiosity what year is your Trailmanor?

arknoah
12-09-2003, 07:18 AM
Mine is a 2001

G-V_Driver
12-12-2003, 06:24 PM
We looked at a used 1998 unit that had lived near Houston, TX. Every piece of hardware on it was rusted. Even the top half of the door was corroded.

Nothing that a little time and money wouldn't fix, but I share tslon's view that units are somewhat more rust-prone than one might expect for the premium price. Somebody said their little hook that holds the bottom half of the door in place when folded was badly rusted and they couldn't figure out how to change it.

tslon
12-21-2003, 11:48 PM
I have to say I just saw a 2001 2720 and could not find any rust! All the bolts, screws, threads and clips were in great condition. It was a complete flip from the 2003! The only rust was expected slight surface rust on the under frame. It had one owner with a large family.

One problem this TM had was the linoleum floor was curled at both ends and bubbled in the middle. Has anyone experienced this? The dealer did say they would take care of this but I just wanted to make sure if this was common or not. The linoleum was the full floor length (no carpet). I did not see water damage at all (first thing that came to mind). Could this just be due to humidity. I know linoleum hates moisture.

Simon3xUD
03-25-2004, 02:10 PM
I have to say I just saw a 2001 2720 and could not find any rust! One problem this TM had was the linoleum floor was curled at both ends and bubbled in the middle. Has anyone experienced this? The dealer did say they would take care of this but I just wanted to make sure if this was common or not. The linoleum was the full floor length (no carpet). I did not see water damage at all (first thing that came to mind). Could this just be due to humidity. I know linoleum hates moisture.

I am looking at TM (same year/model) with the same problem. I have not seen the unit yet but the salesperson I spoke to said they didn't see any signs of water damage. I'm told I could buy the unit for $9,900 but I'm not sure if it's that good a deal given the floor situation. The only options it's supposed to have are A/C (where is that found in a TM?) and an awning.

Thoughts? Opinions? Insight? Any/all would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sally

jniles
03-25-2004, 06:54 PM
The A/C in a 2001 should be mounted on the front roof shell. It may have the low profile unit.

If the floor covering is just coming unglued without any subfloor damage it can be replaced with new covering quite reasonably. It certainly is not expensive to re-glue as long as that is all it needs. This type work is relatively eas, even fun for some, and certainly not rocket science.

jniles
03-25-2004, 06:56 PM
PS: what's this got to do w/rust?

Mark
03-26-2004, 04:54 AM
I think rusty bolts, washers and nuts are inevitable...even with stainless steel hardware. Most of the fastening points are mating an aluminiun substrate with a steel fastener. I'm no metalurgist but I think there is an electrochemical reaction between different metals.

We noticed this when we were shopping and had our dealer arrange to have the factory replace all the rusty hardware (along with some other problems we noticed) as part of our purchase contract. That's been a year now and over the winter the rust has returned in a few places. We would be interested in any ideas to solve this.

Mark and Mary Ann in NC

Cateye
03-26-2004, 07:20 AM
If you will send me your e-mail address, I will give you some other things to look out for...

Carol
03-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Re: location of AC on 2001 models. Our 2001 2720SL has side mounted AC, in a cabinet next to the stove. I believe that all the 2720's from 2001 have the side AC units.

Carol

Windbreaker
04-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Mary Ann, you are right, it is a metal thing. Any of the guys here who work with aircraft can give detailed info. I had a friend who told me about this years ago when I was adding some hardware to a truck. He went into great detail explaining the whole process. Bottom line was put any two metals together and you will get oxidation/rust.

bootlegger77
05-20-2004, 07:34 AM
As an almost owner living in Texas and planning on using my TM mainly at the beach, this topic is important. Years ago when I bought a new car I took it to a "place" that coated the car so it would not rust. Then on the purchase of newer cars I was told that coating was no longer necessary. I do not remember the name of the coating but with the price of these trailers I would would rather just have something like that done as opposed to a can of spray on each screw on the trailer. Does any one know of a kind of dealer or the name of the kind of coating that was? Sounds pretty dumb but I don't remember the name and a phonebooke search did not help.

Bill
05-20-2004, 11:00 AM
You are probably thinking of Ziebart. There were also local/regional ones - in New England it was Rusty Jones.

Bill