PDA

View Full Version : Second 3023!

Shadowcats
03-25-2013, 11:26 PM
We bought a used 1999 3023 a few years ago and loved it - was pulling it with a Jeep Liberty (Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado, was a bit much for it!). We always said we'd like a newer one and then they quit making them - special order only. Well God answers prayers because a year ago Car Toys got a gently used 2010 3023! They made us a super deal! It has solar, power hitch jack, air (in the middle and not over the bed!), but it is a lot the same as the old one. Added a rear hitch for a carrier 4000 watt generator and some added gear. Got a bigger rig to pull with too: 2012 Nissan Armada, V8, rear wheel/all wheel/4 wheel drive - lots of power and room. We are indeed HAPPY campers. (Car Toys here in Colorado Springs, CO, knows everything and anything about TMs...they are indeed the experts - good education and service too)

Bill
03-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Nice work! You are indeed happy campers!

Car Toys here in Colorado Springs, CO, knows everything and anything about TMs...they are indeed the experts - good education and service too

Just for the record, "Car Toys" is probably "The Car Show" in Colorado Springs? There is a "Car Toys" shop in the Springs, but I think they install stereos and such. If you ask them for a TM, they are likely to be confused.

Bill

rumbleweed
03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Keep an eye on the generator rack. A 4KW generator is a lot of weight to add that far behind the axle.

wmtire
03-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Added a rear hitch for a carrier 4000 watt generator and some added gear.

I take it that you added a carrier for the generator, and not a Carrier brand name generator?

I have been researching portable generators and comparing the different models and such. Do you mind me asking what brand/model generator you have and how you like it?

Shadowcats
03-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Oh sure rub it in on the old guy...of course it is Car Show and not Car Toys...age kind of helps getting things just a little turned around.

I've got a heavy Class III hitch (Car Show put in on) and a Chapion 3500/4000watt / has the RV outlet, 12 hrs run at 50% with a 196 cc engine. It weighs about 98 pounds, so the wife and I can lift it. Fits nicely on the carrier with ratch ties x 2. Strong steel frame and puts out about 68 dBA on the sound. I had a little generator at first, but it would pull down big time...this one never misses a beat. It is like being at a full hook up site. I start it about once a month and so far it has never failed to start. Easy gas fill. Not so big that you can't have a gas can, and a few extra things on the carrier. Got it on sale at Camper World a year or so ago.

rumbleweed
03-26-2013, 05:16 PM
68 dba is a little loud depending on where you camp.

wmtire
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
a Chapion 3500/4000watt / has the RV outlet, 12 hrs run at 50% with a 196 cc engine. It weighs about 98 pounds, so the wife and I can lift it. Strong steel frame and puts out about 68 dBA on the sound.

Good deal. The Champion is one I have been looking at, especially for it's price. Tractor Supply sells them for $330, but the one here never has it in stock. I've been wondering about the sound, and would really like to hear one in real life to see for myself.

I'm not so much wanting it for taking to campgrounds, but more to use at my house should we encounter a power failure, then could stay in the camper and run the air-conditioner if needed.

Shadowcats
03-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Works great when you are off grid...and yes we too considered the emergency use of it too. I found that it wasn't any louder than the other campers using generators. We usually don't run it all the time anyway. The spark arrester cut down on the noise a little too.

Bill
03-27-2013, 10:39 AM
The Champion is one I have been looking at, especially for it's price. Tractor Supply sells them for $330, but the one here never has it in stock.Bobby -

Have you checked out the big sporting goods stores? I know that the big Cabela's near us in Maine has a price-match guarantee, plus free delivery to the store. Apparently you don't have a Cabela's in northern Louisiana, but maybe a BassPro or the like?

Bill

Shadowcats
03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Might check Camping World...for Good Sam members they offer free shipping over a certain amount. They have put these on sale before too...I just happen to live a short distance from one of their stores and got a really good deal. Good luck! Just went out and started mine - took right off after being in below 0 weather!

CeeWoo
05-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Went to a local BLM Campground last week. No hookups, but saw 3 of that exact generator (2 reg trailers & 1 5th wheel) all in consecutive sites, over about 15-20 yds or so total. It was 'interesting' when they all had em running at the same time on my last day there.

BTW-I have a 1500 watt Champion. A bit loud, won't run the AC of course, but it is extremely reliable

Oh, & the wife and I have already decided if our TM should die, we're getting another :)