PDA

View Full Version : Connection at home

Explorer_Bill
10-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Hello,
I have put down a DP on a 2619 an hope to pick it up in the middle of November. While I do plan to camp on the way from picking it up I don't know how many more opportunities I will have before spring. So my question is can I hook up electrically to my home? What if anything special would I have to do?

I would like to add that this group has been of immense help to me and would like to thank Chris and everyone who has made this such an invaluable resource.

Windbreaker
10-08-2003, 10:51 PM
The answer is yes and maybe. Yes, if you do not run the AC unit at all. Maybe, if 1) you are running off of a 30 amp plug at your house. Many homes don't have 30 plugs! Anything built before '85 I would doubt. or 2) you install a special 30 amp plug just for that.

For what it is worth I keep mine plugged into a 20 amp plug most of the time. A friend stopped by and said that it was ok to run the AC on 20 amps, I said try it. It worked fine. I just happened to be passing the plug on the house about 5 min. later and felt the plug, Pulled it as fast as I could and then kept a close eye for the next 24 hours on the house where the plug was. The current was drawing so much power the plug was melting. I wonder why the breaker did not pop but it didn't. Could have burned down the house! :-[

Bill
10-09-2003, 08:32 AM
My biggest concern (well, aside from Windy's near fire!) is the battery. I think that over a long period of time, the TM converter is perfectly willing to overcharge your battery. That can't be good.

Anyone have any long term experience leaving the converter fired up? Does the water level in your battery go down, for example? Have you noticed any bubbling/outgassing in the electrolyte?

Bill

Frenchy
10-09-2003, 08:53 AM
I installed a 30 amp outlet at my house on it's own circuit. Have kept the TM plugged in for extended periods (months). Fully use it when the kids come home to visit including the AC. Have had the same battery since I bought it three years ago. It seems to be OK. I don't do any Boondocking though.

DancinCampers
10-09-2003, 09:17 AM
We have been leaving our TM connected to AC while it sits awaiting our next trip. A couple weeks ago I removed the battery to use it to provide power at a picnic for music, and when I got it home I noticed that the water level was about 1 inch below the plates. I refilled it & it seems ok.

I am not going to leave it on the converter in storage in the future, will purchase a trickle charger.

Dan

azroadrunner
10-09-2003, 09:56 AM
The 7300 converter/charger section replacement handles that problem. It has a very intelligent charger which will not overcharge and lead to these problems with the battery. I did the replacement last week and am extremely happy with it. Before, I couldn't listen to AM on the radio because of the noise. Now there is no noise on AM at all. Camping World lists it for 233.10 plus 10.50 shipping plus tax. I got it locally for 203.00 plus tax with no charge for overnight shipping. Highly recommended.

Jim

Abiecunasb
05-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I am not very electrically inclined, is it very difficult to replace the converter/charger. I have 2002 2720 Base model that I recently purchased and the coverter makes quite a bit of noice when hooked up to AC shore power. Our batteries are 2 12V hooked in parallel. I think the batteries are reasonably good, and I will probably be changing to 6 volt in the future. Could you give me any specifics you might have on changing the converter out.... thanks.

BobRederick
05-08-2006, 01:28 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~whemme/index.html