PDA

View Full Version : bed covers and putting down the camper

ryanra
09-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Do bed covers left on the bed make folding down the camper harder? We have a thick cover and two thin pillows on the bed.

Thanks.

Bill
09-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Yup. We stow the pilllows in the cabinet beneath the bed, and the quilt, folded in thirds, on the couch.

Bill

mjlaupp
09-22-2003, 01:52 PM
I was able to leave a foam pad, a quilted mattress cover and a sheet on both the '97 2720 and '02 2720SL rear beds. My '03 2720SL rear shell will not close and latch with anything more than a sheet on the mattress. The overhead light leaves a deep imprint in the mattress when it is opened and the light switch is usually turned on by the movement of the TM while closing, opening or towing. The 12v switch in the rear bath wall is all that keeps the light from burning the mattress when the TM is folded.
MJL

Windbreaker
09-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Mike, did they put in thicker mattresses or something? Or does the top just ride lower?

mjlaupp
09-23-2003, 07:49 AM
Windy,
I think the '03 mattress is firmer than the older ones and the new top shell construction is lower. TM probably lowered the roof as much as possible to allow garage storage with the rooftop low profile AC installed.
I'm going to purchase a Travasak system ( www.Travasak.com ) for the bed. That way I can store a made up bed on the front couch while the TM is folded.
MJL

kempert
09-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Mike,
I have a foam mattress pad and a set of sheets on my 2720SL and have no trouble when closing it. I put the pillow(s) & blanket(s) in the cabinet. There is an indentation where the light is (when closed) but my pillow goes over it, so no problem.

mjlaupp
09-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Mike,
I have a foam mattress pad and a set of sheets on my 2720SL and have no trouble when closing it. I put the pillow(s) & blanket(s) in the cabinet. There is an indentation where the light is (when closed) but my pillow goes over it, so no problem.

I notice that you have an '02 2720SL. I had no problems closing my '02 2720SL with the mattress pads in place. It's my new '03 2720SL that will will not close with anything but a sheet on the rear bed.
MJL

Chris_Bauer
09-23-2003, 05:37 PM
I haven't attempted to do any adjustments on my 99 3326, but the 2720SL had a foam pad, bedspead and two pillows and it closed very easily. With the 3326, I can't leave the pillows on the bed.

Could a possible adjustment somewhere help? I'm saying this because it looks like some have difficulty and others don't ???.

Chris B.

kempert
09-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Mike-
Have you tried to adjust your torsion bars. There has been a lot of discussion on how & why to do this somewhere on this site.

I hope that they haven't over -engineered your '03.

mjlaupp
09-23-2003, 09:16 PM
The tops open and close ok so I don't think there is a problem with the torsion bar adjustment. I can feel the rear top sitting on the mattress pads when it is down and I just can not pull it down the last 1/2 inch to enable me to close the rear latches. Even with nothing on the mattress, it is difficult to close the rear latches. The rear of the top shell is sitting on the rubber bumper pads when there is nothing on the mattress and is about 3/4 inch above the bumpers when the mattress pads are in place.
MJL

arknoah
09-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Interesting responses. We keep our sheets, a think comforter and regular pillows on both front and rear beds and the unit closes easily. Hm....

jbeletti
11-17-2003, 08:02 PM
Mike,

Did you end up getting the Travasak system? From your post, I researched it, showed it to Nancy and she liked it. We camped in a popup recently, using open sleeping bags and I didn't care for it.

We saw the Travasak system at CampingWorld this weekend and bought the queen system. We slept with it last night at home on our regular queen bed - it was great. I think we'll be glad we made this investment (about $225 for the queen size with the club discount at CampingWorld).

We won't sleep with the sides zipped. We'll have both sides open and the bottom zipped closed. When we get up, we can zip it up, roll it up, bag it and tuck it around the corner on the rear bed, out of sight.

Take care,

Jim

Paul_Heuvelhorst
11-17-2003, 10:22 PM
We slept on the front bed of our 1998 2619 and left the egg-crate foam, sheets, blanket and comforter on the bed when we closed up. No problems closing up. Pillows were stowed under one of the dinette seats. We used the rear bed for storage, book box, extra clothes, etc.

mjlaupp
11-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Mike,
Did you end up getting the Travasak system?
I bought the queen size with an extra set of sheets from Camping World online. It looks just right on the rear bed. So much so that I don't think I will roll it up while the TM is set up. I'll roll it for travel only. No more crawling on the rear bed trying to tuck the bed coverings in!
MJL :)

2619PDX
11-19-2003, 02:11 PM
We've got an 01' 2619 and I have put a thick condensation and insultation matt under both front and rear beads, and we use a wool mattress pad as well.

We keep the blankets on in the winter months and don't have a problem putting the unit down.

For what it's worth.

Gregg

Denny_A
11-19-2003, 09:22 PM
We saw the Travasak system at CampingWorld this weekend and bought the queen system. We slept with it last night at home on our regular queen bed - it was great. I think we'll be glad we made this investment (about $225 for the queen size with the club discount at CampingWorld).

After looking into TravaSak, online, I said "whadda ya think" to my live-in maid ::), and she said get one, and pronto! We're headed for Fl at the end of Nov.

I found a discount RV supplier in Tualitin, OR (Love that Tualitin Winery Pinot Noir ::) ). Their price is $199 for the queen size + 15.25 shipping to WI (YSMV). Here's the link:

https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newstore/nojava/index.cfm

Scroll to the bottom of the page and type Travasak in the search box.

Mine shipped the same day I ordered (yesterday) and is out of Portland heading east today.

Denny_A

Brightsu
11-22-2003, 06:34 PM
I have a 95 3326/ I like idea of the travasak, but was wondering if a Queen size would be okay for mine it seems it takes a king size sheet, but if that Travasak would work it would safe alot of trouble, I put our sleeping bags in for this next trip, but really don't like sleeping on them, anyone tried the Travasak on the bed in a 3326.

Pam

jbeletti
11-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Denny_A,

$199 was a great price for the queen Travasak.

Brightsu,

I'm sure the queen will fit nicely on your king sleeper. While I have not measured our queen bed at home, I will bet that it is larger than what Trailmanor calls a queen. If that holds true, the queen may be ideal for your king TM bed. If you want me to layout my queen Travasak and measure it so you can compare it to the TM king bed size, I am happy to do so.

Jim

Denny_A
11-22-2003, 09:48 PM
I have a 95 3326/ I like idea of the travasak, but was wondering if a Queen size would be okay for mine it seems it takes a king size sheet, but if that Travasak would work it would safe alot of trouble, I put our sleeping bags in for this next trip, but really don't like sleeping on them, anyone tried the Travasak on the bed in a 3326.
Pam

The Queen Travasak is 80" long and 66" wide. The Queen bed in the 27 Series or a 30 TM is 78"x60", and the King in the 3326 is 78"x78". So the length is good in all cases. The Travasak width is 12" less than the 3326 bed.

Denny_A

MikeD
05-16-2004, 06:04 PM
We just purchased our Queen size Travasak and love it. Before, our bed was a little too hard, now it is close to perfect, plus it is very comfortable and warm.

FYI, RV Parts Outlet has the double (Queen) size on special for $168.00 (https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newstore/nojava/showprod.cfm?ID=1627&refid=C14AC55C%2D3895%2D4B35% 2D8CEF6E22CA18CBD7). I've ordered from them several times, and while their web site leaves something to be desired, I've always experienced timely and accurate product delivery.

Mike