PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Isabel

jgilliam1955
09-20-2003, 06:08 PM
First camping trip in my 2004 TM2619 is in my driveway. Hurricane Isabel knocked out the power here in VA. The Honda 2500 Generator is handling the AC unit & everything in the Trailer. I still have water in the house. We are using the TM for cooking & sleeping. To hot in the house. I work nights so after I hunt for gas I jump in my nice & cool TM. Only 2 of us in the neiborhood have campers. We both live next to each other. So our campers are both setup and going strong. The home assoc. I guess will over look having the Trailers in the driveway this time.
Thank goodness for TM and Generators!!!! ;D

Happytrails
09-22-2003, 04:34 PM
It hit us, but was very gentle for some reason. I guess since we live in the Roanoke Valley surrounded by mountains. We got a few gusts of wind, and a little rain, but the next morning, you couldn't tell it was different than any run of the mill strong thunderstorm. All around us it was quite different, but not here in Roanoke. Matter of fact, it was a beutiful day friday, sunny, and not too hot. I don't think we lost any trees, or power from it. I noticed something kinda strange tho. Since Jgilliam mentioned they were from Va, I checked the map, and a bunch of pins are missing, including all of the ones from Va? Is this just a fluke or something? (Just wondering if anyone else noticed it).

Jgilliam, I bet you're really happy to have your TM now! Bet your neighbors are all grumbling their rear ends off every time they drive by that they weren't campers!!!

Happytrails.......

jgilliam1955
09-23-2003, 05:56 AM
Your right. The neighbors had not power plus no mini home to escape too.
I made sure to mention I had to run the AC on low because it got to cold.
Got our power back on Sunday Morning. Everyone is happy now. About 30% of the county has power. They said some areas will be without power for atleast 30 days. We were lucky.

kempert
09-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Well, I made it through Isabel without much damage except cleaning out the fridge. I didn't bother with trying to get ice as I figured it would cost more to buy the ice (incl. gas & time)
than to replace what was in the fridge.
Now, I have another problem. We (in Richmond) got over 2" of rain in less than an hour this morning. My pea gravel driveway in front of my house has partially been relocated to my back and side yards. It is interesting how the water rushing around the tires of my vehicles cut deep ruts. Time to get the shovel out. :o

Windbreaker
09-23-2003, 08:21 AM
Don't you love those little unexpected geology lessons, mine came in the form of the expandability of clay.

Happytrails
09-23-2003, 04:08 PM
Kempert, I just saw on the news about a tornado that touched down in Richmond, was that anywhere close to you?

Happytrails......

kempert
09-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Happytrails

Thanks for the inquiry. The tornado was about 10 miles away. Not close but too close - if you get my drift. All houses for several blocks were either damaged or destroyed. Of course, some who had gotten their power back after Isabel, lost it again.

Kempert

Happytrails
09-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Wow, that's scary! Tragic as well for some who survived the hurricane..only to lose their homes to a tornado.... In Roanoke, where I live, we're surrounded by two sets of mountains in the valley in between, it tends to sheild us a lot from bad storms and weather.

Happytrails.......

kempert
09-24-2003, 07:24 PM
It was far enough away that I didn't know anything about it for several hours. I was out looking at my driveway after getting over 2" of rain in less than an hour. Most of the pea gravel is still in my yard. You have to take the bad with the good. I can remember a year ago when Roanoke was having a very serious water shortage. What a differnce a year makes.