PDA

View Full Version : California DMV fun, registering new TM

B_and_D
09-19-2003, 10:57 PM
After finally receiving our title docs in the mail this week, I made an appointment with the CA DMV. I was concerned because our Oregon trip permit expired today, and our appointment isn't until next week, wanted to get a one day trip permit to take it down there, also wanted to check out the DMV office to see where we'd park the TM to have them visually inspect it (to see if there were any weird maneuvers we'd have to make to get it into the lot).

It was an eye opener for me to find out that they were going to charge us a penalty for late registration (? it hasn't been on the road, just parked on our property) even tho it's only been 18 days since be brought it into CA. Plus, the lady, who seemed like a veteran DMV employee, really had to search through her books (which were not complete, or out of date) and also consult with her supervisors to determine which kind of a license she should issue. We ended up starting the registration process early and when she put the stuff into the computer, it did not compute a penalty. Had to write a check, and she gave me a one day permit to tow it down there next week. H says for that amount of money they should come to OUR house and inspect it. I told her that, and got a major eye-roll. Another discovery, we will have to tow it down there closed and open it up, as the id is on the lower shell. They were so fascinated by the concept of the TM (kind of a pop-up, not a "tent trailer", hard sided, etc), that I'm sure they are all looking forward to all actually seeing it when we bring it in. She also told me that since it can be "lived in" that we can't get a non-op permit for it but will have to keep it licensed every year. The license portion was about $90.

It was interesting having them decide what classification the TM belonged to. Long and short of it, if you have a canvas popup, it's a PTI (only have to license it once every 7 years for like $20) but the TM's can be "lived in" so they are classified differently. At least that's what they decided.

Can't wait until next week when we bring it in.

DMV is an interesting place this week. Daughter is getting her permit soon so we will be back shortly for that. They aren't issuing the illegal alien licenses until 2004 (no, it's not a joke, it's for real) but I wonder if a lot of people in the DMV were there for that.

Actually, I think most of the traffic there was from the impending 3x license fees that are scheduled to take place on Oct. 1st.

RockyMtnRay
09-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Sheesh, but I do feel sorry for you Californians sometimes.

My registration story by comparison:
1. Buy TM at Dealer. Dealer puts 60 day temp tags on trailer. Temp tags have no restrictions; no special permitting needed whatsoever. What the heck is a "trip permit", anyway?
2. About 10 days later, the title docs arrive.
3. Take title docs and checkbook to County DMV office, no appt needed. Wait 15 minutes for my number to be called.
4. Pay license fee (nominal...around $30) and property tax (not so nominal...around $275). Walk out with permanent license plates for TM 10 minutes later. No inspections or other rigamarole.
5. Renewed registration this year for all vehicles (including TM) by mail. TM renewal (including tax and annual license fee) down to $256.

grayghost
09-20-2003, 08:05 AM
we thought kentucky had lots of hidden costs, but were pleasantly surprised to only pay about 25 to register it and no property tax. geez patton taxes everything else.

we did have to have a fire inspector check it out - at the cost of 60 bucks. btw he did recommend putting a screen on the outside of the furnace vent to prevent mud daubers entering the system. we did get it, installed it and when we closed up the tm the screen got crushed, :( oh well, mud dauber season is over for this year.

B_and_D
09-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Trip permit is a one day pass to legally tow the trailer to (?) the DMV. They said that they would sell me one for $10 until I told them that the trailer was purchased out of state. Then they started talking penalties. ??

We have a $30 registration fee here, like $5 or $6 in other random fees, and then the rest of the license fee is a kind of personal property tax.

Most expensive thing to pay was the 8.25% sales tax (ouch) but we knew we'd have to pay, considered the option of "using the unit out of state continuously for 90 days" or something like that, and then you don't have to pay it, but at this purchase price we didn't think it was worth it. Plus, we wanted to bring our TM home and play with it right away!

I know two other people who have purchased big motorhomes/coaches over $100k and they did the "used out of state for 90 days" thing and didn't have to pay the sales tax. You have to give them documentation like park rental receipts, etc. One guy said that he had a whole binder full of documentation (it must have been a BUNCH of sales tax he was avoiding).

If I was going to spend that much I'd do it too.....

azroadrunner
09-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Picked up our new (to us) 1997 3124KS Friday and paid AZ $8 for registration, $4 for the title and $99.95 for "VLT" which is a kind of personal property tax. However, for some reason they only registered it until 5/31/2004. Then I need to pay the VLT and registration again. The VLT does go down some every year.

Happytrails
09-22-2003, 04:14 PM
To answer your question better Ray, I don't know about other states, but there are three types here in Va. Red temp tags that are reg temp tags till you get your regular licence plate. Blue temp tags while you wait on your "personalized" tag, and Green "temp" tags, an inexpensive way to move a vehicle or camper from one dealership to another. Such would be the case if you were driving out of state to pick up a new vehicle, or camper, where an ordinary temp tag won't apply.......Hope that makes sense. If this is the same for other states, I'm sure that answered the "what the heck is a green temp tag for" for quite a few people.

Happytrails..........

dcrdark
09-23-2003, 05:53 AM
Thanks Happy, I work in Northern VA and was wondering why there were so many different temp tags.

kempert
09-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Wow! No wonder people complain about the DMV. When I bought my TM (in VA), the dealer put a temp. tag on it and sent the paper work to DMV. I got the permanent tag in the mail later. I had already paid the Sales Tax (4.5%) and I think $59 for the tag. I went to the county offices and in 10 minutes had my county sticker after paying about $10.

red_apache
09-23-2003, 08:47 PM
We bought our 2004 2619 from Custom RV in Anaheim Cal. Matt, one of the owners took care of the DMV paper work and sent our plates to us in San Diego in 3 days.
Total reg. cost was $159 til Aug. 2004
So not that much different than those states who have low reg. fee's but add property tax fee.

Jack & Gayle

Dolphin4
09-24-2003, 05:39 PM
We also live in San Diego, CA and our renewal came the other day in the mail for $344! (Expires 11/30/03) Does that seem high? It does to me...I didn't know the Vechicle License Fee that was repealed here in CA as of Oct. 1st applied to our trailer too! :-\

09-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Re trip permits -

Here in Washington State, a trip permit is an economical way to license a vehicle not used often. We have friends with a motorhome that is only used a couple of times a year. They found it was more economical to buy a trip permit ($10 each) to use just for their trips instead of paying for a regular license renewal - a temporary license, so to speak. We also used trip permits when moving a fiver we were selling, instead of paying for a regular license for it.

Pam