PDA

View Full Version : Anyone considered adding a Satellite Internet Receiver to their TM?

RockyMtnRay
09-19-2003, 11:42 AM
As an independent business software and database systems provider and consultant, it's imperative that I never go much beyond 48 hours (preferrably never over 24 hours) without at least checking my email, ideally also checking the logs and such of my database and web service servers. And if a client has a problem, having internet access on demand is a veritable godsend.

So far I've been able to adequately meet this requirement from most of the places I've camped in Colorado by using my digital cell phone in conjunction with an Ositech King of Clubs modem in my computer to act as wireless modem (only 14.4...kinda slow, but bearable). I've sometimes had to drive 10 or 20 miles from the campground to find a strong enough cellular signal...a nuisance, but not a show stopper. But that's Colorado...with 4 plus million residents and enough major ski resorts/visitors that the cellular phone companies have installed a fairly good digital infrastructure.

However, within the next year or two, I'm going to start going north into Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana on longer camping trips. And in those sparsely populated states, the closest digitally equipped cellular tower can be over 100 miles away. I gotta find another mobile internet solution before I head toward those states.

Hence, the relatively new DataStorm Mobile Two-Way internet system really has piqued my interest:

http://www.motosat.com/images/datastorm_opp_way.gif

Web site: http://www.motosat.com/twoway_001.htm

As noted, the price is a kinda hefty $3995...which does not include installation (add another $300 or so). Nor does it include the cost of engineering/building a strong but lightweight support platform that would transfer its weight (a relatively paltry 105 lbs) to the aluminum tubes at the top corners of my TM's rear shell (there's no room on the front shell for this thing)...I figure that would cost me another $500 or so. And, after talking to Jimmie Davis at TM about it, I definitely have to have a set of heavier duty torsion bars (figure $500 installed) (Jimmie did confirm my suspicion that if the weight was carried on the corner tubes...and not the center of the roof...there shouldn't be any structural issues in the shell to worry about).

The advantages of this particular device are its relatively light weight, low travel heights (folds to only 10.5 inches...I can still put my TM in garage!), and it needs only a couple of amps of 12V power to operate. And I can get a broadband class internet connection from just about anywhere in the USA that has a good view of the southern sky (basically if a satellite TV antenna will get a signal, so will this thing).

One of these things will be on the roof of my TM before the 2005 camping season. I am, however, kinda curious if anyone else has installed, or intends to install satellite internet on their TM.

Bill
09-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Web TV or whatever won't work? Gotta be cheaper. Don't know about the connection speed.

Bill

RockyMtnRay
09-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Internet connections have to be two way (upload & download) so none of the standard satellite TV based solutions will work. WebTV actually uses land telephone lines for the bidirectional signal...plus, by comparison to computer based internet browsers, has a very low rez display and horrible user interface. And WebTV certainly won't work over a cell phone link.

With one exception, all other satellite internet systems (e.g. Starband) absolutely require a certified fixed installation. By order of the FCC, their antennas are not to be moved under any circumstances unless done so by a certified installation technician, who will have to spend several hours adjusting things at the new antenna location.

That one exception is the KVH TracNet. And it costs about $4000 more than MotoSat/DataStorm...over $5000 more if you want to have in-motion satellite internet. And TracNet requires a cellphone/landline for uplink...you are SOL if you don't have one or the other. TracNet also charges $490 for a paltry 1500 minutes of connectivity per month, whereas DataStorm is half-decent $99 for unlimited connectivity. For a full comparison of DataStorm vs TracNet go here: http://www.internetanywhere.us/pages/904764/index.htm

The MotoSat/DataStorm system was $3000 higher until fairly recently. AFAIK, there are no cheaper solutions for mobile internet connectivity once you get outside of digital cellular coverage. Even at $4000 to $5000 installed, this is by far the cheapest mobile internet solution currently available that will work in nearly any location.

Happytrails
09-19-2003, 04:30 PM
Good gosh Ray! Will it beam up Scotty? ;D

Happytrails........

RockyMtnRay
09-19-2003, 05:23 PM
heehee....jeez, I don't know. But it might. ;)

But I do know that the the dish has an eerie blue glow when it's in use (see pic below)....so it just might attract alien spaceships. And given the remoteness of some of the places I go camping, I just very well might find myself having an Encounter of Third Kind. (there are so many UFO sightings down in the vast & empty San Luis Valley of southern Colorado that one enterprising person built a large, raised "UFO Viewing Platform"...apparently gets quite a bit of business) ;D

http://www.internetanywhere.us/images/240_grainytv_s_desert__nite.jpg

Happytrails
09-20-2003, 04:50 AM
Careful Ray, given what you've said under the camping recipies topic, it' might start flashing "Eat at Ray's".......lol

Happytrails..........

RockyMtnRay
09-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Careful Ray, given what you've said under the camping recipies topic, it' might start flashing "Eat at Ray's".......lol

heehee. :) Nah, dining at Ray's is by special invite only. Members only sort of thing. :)

But on a much more serious note, I got an email from another TMO.com member who had seen someone use a DirecWay fixed installation internet satellite antenna in a mobile manner and was contemplating doing it himself. As I said in my reply to him DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING A FIXED LOCATION SYSTEM ANTENNA (STARBAND, DIRECWAY) FOR MOBILE INTERNET.

The reason is as follows: Satellite internet antennas are not just receivers (like satellite TV antennas are)...they are also transmitters (to send the uplink data such as outgoing emails, web page requests, etc.). And those transmissions have to be precisely focused and aimed at the correct satellite. If your antenna's beam shape or focus is off (e.g. has incorrect sidelobes, bad beam polarity, wrong slew rates, etc.)...or it isn't aimed at the right satellite, then you are effectively electronically "jamming" the other receivers on the satellite or, even worse, jamming some other satellite. Since space assets are so expensive...and have a very limited number of receivers/transmitters, this is a huge, huge no-no. It is a major violation of international agreements, international law, and a bunch of FCC regulations. In addition, under the Patriot Act, such jamming (even if unintentional) could be construed as being a "terrorist act". In other words, you become subject to being charged with very serious federal offenses...that could lead to 10s of thousands in fines and possibly some federal prison time.

There are two ways to insure your satellite internet transmissions are in compliance.

If using a system licensed by the FCC for permanent fixed locations only (DirecWay, Starband), the antenna must be permanently mounted in a fixed location and before it's put into service, it must be precisely adjusted by a certified technician using a fairly expensive set of test/tuning equipment. And that adjustment is good for that location only. If the antenna must be moved, then it must again be adjusted by a certified technician before being put back into service.

If using a sysem licensed for relocateable fixed locations (only DataStorm/MotoSat), the antenna system itself has the correct (and pricey) circuits and software to properly allign and tune its beam to avoid causing jamming on the satellite. One of the reasons the DataStorm system is so much more expensive is these components; another reason is the cost MotoSat incurred in proving to the FCC that its products would not cause problems on the satellites. Getting the uplink transmissions properly aligned is a major challenge...probably the main reason that the other mobile solution (KVH TracNet) uses telephone (cell or landline) for it's uplink signals.

As long as you use your system (fixed or mobile) in the manner designated, the company that holds the FCC license has the legal liability. But if you use it in an unauthorized manner (e.g. use fixed in a mobile manner), you become legally liable. Similarly, the DataStorm/MotoSat system can only be used while stationary...it's not authorized to be used from a moving RV...or from boats.

Happytrails
09-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Ray is definately correct on the typical satalitte modem system, you DO have to have a modem to do your uploads. I worked for a couple years for Circuit City and actually sold these types of systems. I had a coworker that had one, but ditched it once cable modems came into my area. It was a fixed system at his house though. He could download really fast, but uploading still took forever.

Happytrails.......