PDA

View Full Version : 3M VHB Bonding Tape

geoffrey chew
06-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Just to give an endorsement of this heavy duty double sided acrylic foam tape for attaching solar panel support frames to your TM roof. I used this tape to fasten 2 x 80W panel support frames on the rear roof of my TM and the adhesive strength was very impressive, absolutely no drilling was required to secure the frame. But be precise when using because you can not slide it, initial touch down is final final. Many hardware stores don't seem to have heard of VHB but it can be purchased online from 3M.

Redhawk
06-14-2012, 02:01 PM
I appreciate your post as I will be looking for a way to attach a panel to the roof of our Elk in a couple weeks. How many trips have you been on since installation? And as far as you know is there and detereation possible due to UV or the elements?

brulaz
06-14-2012, 03:32 PM
I too like this idea. 3M has an excellent rep in adhesives and sealants. I always keep a tube of 4200 around for roof work if needed (not recently, thankfully).

And we've used their interior hooks a lot in our trailer. The tape on the back of them is probably very similar, and they work well.

At the bottom of this web page, there's a pdf about long-term durability:
3M Tape (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Industrial/Adhesives/Product/Bonding-Tapes/VHB-Tape/)

MudDog
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I mounted my two 80 watt panels with 3M VHB tape over two years ago and they're still on solid. We've probably travelled over 12,000 miles in that time.

Another member who has since bought a different trailer used the same method and was able to get the mounts off using a putty knife when he moved the panels to his new trailer.

He indicated at the time it was easier than he thought it would be, but he still trusted the tape enough to use on his new trailer.

Redhawk
06-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Good feedback...thanks!

Redhawk
07-01-2012, 08:42 PM
OK, I'm looking on line for 3M VHB tape and there seems to be quite a few to choose from as far as thickness and application. Can anyone point me to the exact one that I need by giving a part number or link?

Thanks!

MudDog
07-01-2012, 09:26 PM
My mounts came with the VHB tape already installed so I don't know the part # of the tape itself, but check this thread (Onemobear's install) starting around page 7...read all posts thru the end as the original tape 3M recommended wasn't necessarily the right tape for the application, but the one they ended up with seemed to be the right one.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11022&highlight=tape&page=7

rickst29
05-24-2013, 07:29 PM
and that's what I just bought. My mountings are minimal, about 1" wide x 4" long. Fortunately, wind (while driving) will attempt to work against the 4" direction.

I'll probably ignore the pair of screws which were provided in each of my 4 Panel mounting brackets (per panel, of course) ... even though I could buy some SS self drilling screws of shorter length to attach with both (screws and VHB tape). Screws supplied by "Renogy" on EBay are slightly too long: They would go right through the roof, and into the living area.

Wavery
05-27-2013, 10:37 AM
and that's what I just bought. My mountings are minimal, about 1" wide x 4" long. Fortunately, wind (while driving) will attempt to work against the 4" direction.

I'll probably ignore the pair of screws which were provided in each of my 4 Panel mounting brackets (per panel, of course) ... even though I could buy some SS self drilling screws of shorter length to attach with both (screws and VHB tape). Screws supplied by "Renogy" on EBay are slightly too long: They would go right through the roof, and into the living area.

Don't do it!!!!!! Trust me.... the VHB tape will not let go.

I didn't trust it either. I used the VHB #4941 to attach the solar panels on our 2720SL:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V3SKUY/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then (foolishly) drilled holes in my roof and installed pop-rivets to further secure the panels.

I recently sold my TM and removed the solar panels. Drilling out the rivets was easy..... removing the tape was a little more difficult but there was NO WAY that it was going to let go without a fight. After some research, I figured out that a combination of acetone and a (sharpened) putty knife worked well. However, the acetone also removed the factory paint on the roof. Acetone breaks down the foam in the 3M 4941 tape and makes it pretty easy to remove.

I filled the rivet holes with JB Weld, sanded the repaired areas, primed and painted. (Krylon white semi-gloss matched perfectly). There is no way to tell that there was a repair. In retrospect, I should have just left the brackets and installed a roof rack of some sort.

Anyway, I remounted the solar panels on our new Winnebago motorhome roof with the VHB 4941 tape only (no holes this time). 2 weeks ago, I was in a windstorm while going out Hwy 15 freeway. A gust of wind (probably 60mph) while I was pushing at 40mph (combined wind speed of 100mph) folded my (factory) TV antenna in half and dislodged part of the roof.

I climbed on the roof to secure the damaged TV antenna. While up there, I gave a good pull on all 4 corners of each solar panel and they didn't budge. I honestly believe that the F/G roof would rip out before that tape would give-way.

As a side note........ I would not recommend using screws in the thin aluminum skin anywhere on the TM but least of all on the roof. Pop-rivets hold much better than screws and are easily removed (just drill them out) if need be. I replaced probably 75% of the screws in that TM with pop-rivets. The screws sometimes just fall out from vibration. Using screws on the solar panel brackets would be a recipe for disaster IMO.