PDA

View Full Version : What did you own before your TM?

Moonshot
09-17-2003, 10:56 AM
What did you camp in before you bought your Trailmanor and why did you switch?

My previous camper was a 1963 Airstream that was in need of a lot of repair and was missing some parts that were next to impossible to find.

Scott

Civil_War_Buff
09-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Coleman Niagara.

I changed because 1) I like a little more privacy, 2) I wanted a little more security, 3) I have arthritis in my shoulders and cranking was a pain (literally), and 4) I like being able to pull a handle(s) to dump my "holdings".
The list goes on, but I won't.

Larry

Windbreaker
09-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Before the TM I was pure backpack/tent and anyone who wasn't was a sissy!

Now I'm starting to think that maybe I was wrong, nah, couldn't be.

ColoradoCop
09-17-2003, 11:52 AM
I owned a Wilderness, but after watching the trailer try to pass the tow rig on several occassions :-\ decieded that I wanted something with a lower towing profile. Wife found TM on the web and I was sold.

ColoradoCop 8)

k_and_p_camping
09-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Before the TM we owned a Coleman Utah pop-up. Very cushy, with a slide-out dinette. Before that we owned a Coleman Niagra, before that a Coleman Sequoia, and before that a Palamino Colt (that one bought in 1985). I always liked the outdoor feeling you get with a pop-up (we were tent campers before the pop-ups) and I refused to let my husband even look at a "tin can" as I called regular travel trailers. However the cranking and the restrictions on use in bear country got to us finally. We also got tired of the lack of storage; most of our "stuff" ended up on the floor of the pop-up, so we had to move it all out each time we before we set up and then bring it back in when we had the trailer put up. With the TM I can still have enough room to sleep my family of 5 comfortably while still having something I can pull with ease. Nice combination! We'd been looking for a used 3124 KB for more than 6 months before we found this one.

Pam S

CC_Turtle
09-17-2003, 02:30 PM
just tent camping.. sometimes i don't even feel like i am camping with the TM.. so much luxuary! i wanted to move from the tent to TM mostly for security/safety.. from bears and people...

teresa

efelker
09-17-2003, 03:02 PM
Just like Teresa -- a 20 year old tent (and an American Express card for the Holiday Inn for when the weather got really crappy).

Ed

Chris_Bauer
09-17-2003, 04:26 PM
This is the second TM in three years. Before that, nothing. Hadn't gone camping for over 15 years. I couldn't imagine owning anything other than a Trailmanor ;D.

Chris Bauer

Happytrails
09-17-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm with Windbreaker for sure, always a die hard tent camper. After baking in the sun for a few days in the OBX just sitting there in the sun, baking away.....we decided upon something better, maybe a pop up, or something else, didn't really know anything. (Not to mention Karen, my other half is disabled to an extent). We happened to "luck" into my TM completely. It was sitting on a "recycle lot" which today is the PC version of "Junkyard".....lol. I couldn't see it very well from where I was at, it sitting so far out on the lot, asked one of the guys if it was for sale, and he said it was owned by one of the other guys there and to ask him......So I walked up, asked him if it was, he said, "yes, how much you wanna give for it?" I said, "I dunno, I haven't really looked at it, or can even really see it well from up here, thought I'd ask is all". He replied, "Tell ya what, I'll sell it to ya for what I have in it......$400.00". So I took that into account, walked out on the lot, and looked at it. I opened it up, seemed nice on the inside except for the bathroom mirror was broken on the floor. Also, when it first opened up, I had three feet of sky between the shells as it was opening up way too far. A little time looking at it, and grabbing the owners manual, I beat feet when it fell about 3 feet to the streetside on the front shell. Got some others to help getting it back down, and told him I'll think about it. So I left there, talked to a local RV shop who said, "heck, for 400.00, you can sell the appliences out of it, and turn the frame into a car hauler, and maybe triple your money outta it or more, I'd go for it". So then I hit the web, found this place, found out a LOT about them that night, next day, GLEEFULLY paid the man his asking price of $400.00! Fixed it all up, and been happy since! I probably only have about $1000.00 in it total, and can't complain!

Happytrails.........

bonzaibeaver
09-17-2003, 07:35 PM
We've run the gamut in the last 30 years. We've gone from tent to small Jayco pop-up to the Deluxe Jayco Cardinal Pop-up, to a 23 ft. Jayco travel trailer. We hated the gas mileage that we got towing the 23 ft. Jayco and hated pulling it and parking it. Our family had the most fun in our Jayco Cardinal which was a very large pop-up, but we didn't like wet canvass in the rain. So we wanted to find something that was a cross between the towability of the Jayco Cardinal and the comfort of the 23 footer. Voila! Trailmanor was the perfect trailer for us. It's the best of both worlds.

BOB_STRONG
09-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Before our new 2002 3326 King, we had bought a new 1994 3326 King, and before that a 1993 23 M (2720 today). Before Trailmanors, we had 3 new Coleman pop-ups. A 1996 Laramie, 1997 Sequoia, and the grand daddy a 1998 Coleman Plantation. We kept that for 6 years, and got tired of wet evolution material and the difficulty in heating the campers in late September & early October . Early May can get kind of cool in Northeast Pa. also. Nothing against the pop-ups. They were great until we discovered the Trailmanors in 1992, and then made the move in 1993 to buy. Never regret buying the Trailmanors.

Bob Strong

kempert
09-17-2003, 08:30 PM
I was a tent camper for decades. Anything with solid walls was not camping in my eye. As I've grown older, I got tired of crawling in and out of tents. I also grew tired of long walks to the toilet. I spent 18 months looking at campers (including a RV show) and realized that the TM was the best solution. One of the smartest decisions that I've ever made. ;D

B_and_D
09-17-2003, 10:44 PM
Started with a tent, evolved to a cabover camper (loved it, but hated taking it on and off), got rid of that, back to a tent, spoiled by the camper, added children who continue to grow, next was a 60's Aloha trailer (loved and hated it, too small, too heavy but it was better than the tent and much more quiet and private), got rid of that, back to the tent, hated camping out of the trunk of the car because I couldn't ever find anything, found the TM surfing the web looking for a standard trailer, finally found one that was in good shape and within the budget. We love it!

kdrickard
09-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Tent (2 1/2 man/woman; infamous rainfly story(s)) Datsun 210 -- Motel/Hotel/Lodge -- Currently a "TM" Chevy Tahoe.

Kevin

grayghost
09-18-2003, 06:16 AM
at the ripe old age of 60, tom and i purchased a tm 2720sl and before that i always said roughing it for me meant no cable in our motel room.

after many years of moteling it and having each motel starting to charge fees for our pets and each motel having something wrong with it (i.e. the key didn't work, the tv didn't work, got stinky smoky room after requesting non smoking, being put on the third floor dragging two dogs and 2 dog crates, having another moteler let his large dog loose and almost attacking my girl) we decided to attend field trials in the comfort of our own trailer. our first outing will be from oct 3rd to oct 5th in ionia michigan and oct 7th to oct 12th in raymond nebraska. film at 11

eileen, tom, and the waskly weims, holly and hunter

arknoah
09-18-2003, 08:05 AM
This is our first. My parents owned several trailers in the 1970s- 1990s: an 18 foot Frolic, a 24 foot Midas, then a 31 foot Airstream. They also owned a used Starcraft pop-up, and I always wanted one when I got older. Well, I never got one, but saw an ad for the 1997 Coleman pop-ups with the slide out and I really wanted one. In our search, however, Ellen insisted on solid walls, and wasn't too enamored with the "wet shower" in pop-ups, so we decided to look at Class Cs and Class As, finally deciding that we weren't too sure about something that big, since she had never stayed in an RV before.

The Trailmanor gave us what we wanted: the solid walls and feel of a travel trailer, and the "open spacious feeling," (this is from that Trailmanor video) of a pop-up.

hhoenig
09-18-2003, 06:12 PM
hav'nt camped in 25 yrs. Now married, 2 kids, wanted them to experience the joy of camping. TM had all the luxury Judy wanted, plus the ease of storage in garage and towing with a minivan. Took delivery of a 2004 2619 in late August, 2 trips later everyone loves it. Best thing I ever did(besides wife & 2 kids)