PDA

View Full Version : Brake Controller Recommendation ?

MikeD
09-08-2003, 11:39 AM
We've just ordered our 2720. We are towing newbie's and I'm wondering if there is a consensus on brake controllers. We will be towing with the 2720 with a 2001 Chevy Tahoe, 5.3L engine, and factory tow package. From other threads on this board, it appears that many people are happy with the Prodigy controller, but I’m wondering if my intended usage makes any difference (I’m not really sure that I know what to look for in a brake controller).

We live outside of Sonora in California, and plan to use the trailer to camp in Yosemite in off seasons (up and down Priest Grade on highway 120 if anyone is familiar), along with other National and State parks (mostly in the Eastern Sierra). We also plan some longer trips in the future to the Southwest and Yellowstone. So we will definitely have a mixture of Interstate and mountain driving. Does this place any special requirement on the brake controller ??

Thanks in advance -- MikeD

Windbreaker
09-08-2003, 12:13 PM
I think any good brake controller is fine. The Prodigy is good. The only thing you have to look out for is there are some older style ones still out there that work on a gravity/tilt type setup. These can cause problems when going down hills, as in applying the trailer breaks all the way down thus over heating them. Let your motor break you going down hills, use the lower gears.

Other than that one caviet I don't think you will have any problems.

I found a really good trailer shop and talked to the men there for days about towing when I first started, sure set my mind at ease, if you can, I would suggest you do the same. Talk about hitches, breaks, correct level of the trailer while in tow, weight considerations, or anything you can think of.

Civil_War_Buff
09-08-2003, 12:20 PM
PRODIGY, PRODIGY, PRODIGY!!

Especially when you are talking Priest Grade.

You will never regret a Prodigy, but you "might" regret something else.

JMNSHO,

Larry

Bill
09-08-2003, 01:13 PM
In a few rare instances, a controller (any controller) can produce a SLAM as you take your foot off the brake. This is caused by the trailer brakes releasing before the tow vehicle brakes release. This allows the trailer to SLAM forward into the hitch while the tow vehicle is still slowing down. It is very disconcerting, and would certainly result in damage if allowed to continue.

This happened with my original controller. I replaced it with another model (same manufacturer), and it is no longer a problem. I'm trying to figure out how common this is - I have found a few reports on the Internet, but not many. If anyone has (or has had) this problem, I would like to hear from you.

Bill

MikeD
09-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the warning. I'll be looking for that when we test drive the trailer at pick-up. That would certainly whig me out if it happened while descending a mountain grade (I assume that the SLAM would be greater).

Does this appear to be a problem isolated to a controller or somcething caused by a user adjustment ? That is, if I get a controller and do not have the problem, should I assume that the problem will not develop latter ??

thanks, MikeD

hal
09-08-2003, 03:11 PM
There are several good points to be made in favor of the Prodigy Brake Control. One that seems to be overlooked when statemnts in favor of it is the "hill climb feature". I had this feature on an old Studebaker and found it very helpful. How does the hill climb work? Have you ever come to a stop at an intersection at the top of a hill. Ordinarily you will need to keep your foot on the brake to prevent the car and trailer from rolling backward down the hill. Then at the precise moment you release the brake to place your foot on the throttle, a momentary backward roll occurs. Not with the hill climb feature. To activate it, keep your foot on the brake for at least five seconds. You can remove your foot to place it on the throttle and your vehicles will remain as if your foot is still on the brake pedal. Then when you push the throttle for forward movment, the brake is released and you are on your way. No momentary roll back into into the grille of the car behind your trailer.

Hal

MikeD
09-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Hal,

Are you saying that the Prodigy operates your Tow Vehicle's brakes in addition to the trailers ? I thought that only the trailer brakes were controlled by the Prodigy.

MikeD

Happytrails
09-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Hal,
Wow, I never even knew of that feature! Shortly after getting mine installed, I lost the instructions somehow, and am still kinda figuring it out. (Though the people who installed it did set it up as well for me). Lol, learn something new everyday!

Happytrails.....

KdHammonds
09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
I agree with Civil_War_Buff, the Prodigy is a great controller. I originally had a Reese controller installed on my van. My complaint with the Reese controller was it didn't adjust for how quickly I was trying to brake. Once I set the voltage output for hard braking at 20MPH that became the max voltage the controller always went to. You could adjust how soon after stepping on the brake it went to the set voltage, but it was always going to the same point. This would cause the trailer to "jerk" against the TV when trying to gently slow down.

I decided after hearing all the great recommendations on the Prodigy to replace the Reese. The Prodigy works great and adjusts the voltage output to the rate of deceleration. I am very pleased with the decision to go to the Prodigy.

hal
09-08-2003, 06:06 PM
MikeD. Your question about the Prodigy locking the TV brakes.... heck, I don't know. I would imagine that when the brakes are locked on the trailer that they must hold the tv and trailer in place. This feature does work very well. Without it, the tv and trailer would roll backward at the moment you took your foot off the brake. I can sit at the top of a hill with my foot ready to push on the gas pedal and not roll back at all. It sure beats buying someone in a Volkswagen a new radiator.

Hal

Bill
09-08-2003, 06:16 PM
MikeD -

This discussion is getting out of hand. First, the brake controller does NOT operate the tow vehicle brakes. Hal was referring to a nifty feature of an old Studebaker (and perhaps other marques). But it is not a part of any trailer brake controller.

I didn't mean to sound mysterious in my post about the SLAM problem. For whatever reason, most controllers are enabled (and disabled) by the tow vehicle's brake lights. But I found that my Explorer's brake lights go off a moment *before* the Explorer's brakes actually release. When the brake lights go off, the trailer brakes are released - but the Explorer brakes are still slightly engaged. Result? The trailer SLAMs forward into the hitch.

Much to my surprise, the Explorer's brake light switch isn't adjustable.

Solution? I bought a controller that isn't activated by the tow vehicle brake lights. It is no better than any other good controller, like the Prodigy, except in this one area. But when this is important, it is critical.

The problem either is there from the beginning, or it will never be there. It won't develop over time - good question, though.

Bill

kempert
09-08-2003, 08:46 PM
To me it's a no-brainer - Prodigy.

Bruce
09-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks to this board I recently replaced my Voyager controller with a Prodigy.
What a difference! Engagement is so smooth I barely notice that the trailer brakes are on. With the Voyager I would tap the brakes once or twice and then all of a sudden they would come on with such force our heads would snap back against the head rest. I tried adjusting the level control and voltage control over and over but this harsh engagement never went away.

Bruce

Frenchy
09-22-2003, 01:21 PM
I would like to get a Prodigy for my TV. Can I install it easily myself or does it need to be done professionally? Do I need to buy any accessories when I order it such as a wiring harness? My TV is a 1995 full size Chevy Van.

Bill_NM
09-22-2003, 03:04 PM
Here is my $.02. I have installed my prodigy in 3 trucks - an F150, F250 and now a Dodge. It is an easy install - just 4 wires. Prodigy provides a generic harness which can be wired to the generic harness supplied with most trucks or you can buy a 'no-brainer' plug in cable from most RV stores for a specific truck for about $10. I have used both.

Mounting the prodigy usually requires drilling two small holes in the lower dash panel. Be careful slecting the mounting spot so you don't bang into it with your knees getting into and out of your TV.

Once installed you set it up and then just use it. It becomes transparent in operation.

We have towed our TM through the Rockies, to Death Valley and most points in between. We had to do a seriously hard stop last weekend on the way out of town. No drama, no swerving, it just worked.

I haven't used other brakwe controllers so I don't have a base for comparison, but I sure like my prodigy.

bell
09-28-2003, 01:59 PM
To stop slam be sure the ground wire is grounded at the batterypost,not to any thing under the dash.

mjlaupp
09-28-2003, 04:04 PM
I use a Hayes Lemmerz Energize III electric brake controller on my truck and SUV. I get perfect proportional braking with no slam problems. It will handle 1 or 2 axles and is availiable at most RV dealers and in most RV catalogs.
http://aftermarket.hayes-lemmerz.com/html/energize_iii.html
MJL

ventrman
09-28-2003, 10:17 PM
I think you will find that the Prodigy brake controller is the best on the market. It applies the same force to the trailer brakes that you apply. It makes for worry-free towing.

RockyMtnRay
09-29-2003, 08:06 AM
Not only does the Prodigy apply trailer braking that's proportional to TV braking, but it maintains that proportionality even on steep mountain descents. Pendulum type controllers are proportional on level ground but grossly overapply the trailer brakes on steep descents (the pendulum is affected by both gravity and deceleration).

One of the toughest tests for a brake controller is the descent on the west side of Hoosier Pass here in Colorado...it's 4 miles of continuous 8% to 10% grades with numerous 25 mph corners and no less than six 10 mph hairpin switchbacks. Even with my Jeep's manual tranny in 2nd gear for engine braking, I have to firmly apply the brakes to keep my speed at 10 mph in those descending hairpin turns. The Prodigy controller keeps trailer braking so proportional that there isn't even a wiggle when I apply the brakes...even with large amounts of steering angle.

mjlaupp
09-29-2003, 11:24 AM
I almost didn't post about what I use for a brake controller because I figured I would get this type of response!

I am not running down the Prodigy controller, I was just stating that I get excellent control with the Energize III. I drive in the Ozark mountains on roads that compare with those found in the western mountains. The grades may not be as long but are just as steep and twisted.
Pendulum type controllers are proportional on level ground but grossly overapply the trailer brakes on steep descents (the pendulum is affected by both gravity and deceleration).
I agree that the pendulum is affected by both gravity and deceleration. I don't agree with the "grossly overapply" portion of the statement. I assume that you must have done a side by side comparison of the Prodigy and the Energizer III products to make such a statement.

One last question. What solid state product does the Prodigy controller use that provides proportional braking while canceling out the grade component of driving? Something has to point down!

MJL

RockyMtnRay
09-29-2003, 12:07 PM
I don't agree with the "grossly overapply" portion of the statement. I assume that you must have done a side by side comparison of the Prodigy and the Energizer III products to make such a statement.

I personally haven't made such a comparison as I have been using a Prodigy from the get-go. But I have had multiple discussions with several people who **used** to use pendulum controllers and then switched to Prodigy...the unanimous conclusion was that pendulum controllers "suck" in the Colorado Rockies...on long steep grades they often would cause trailer brake lockup with only moderate application of the TV brakes. I have no idea if any were the Energizer III...and the Energizer III may indeed be immune to such issues (the Hayes website does indicate it uses different sensing technology).

Furthermore, when I was looking around for a controller last year, several hitch shops here in Colorado Springs told me they would not sell any of the pendulum controllers because of the issues with brake overapplication on long steep grades.

What solid state product does the Prodigy controller use that provides proportional braking while canceling out the grade component of driving? Something has to point down!

Good question. I agree that something has to determine where vertical is at the point when the brakes are applied. Tekonsha's Prodigy webpage (http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html) states "Equipped with a self-adjusting sensing device similar to the one used in guided-missile technology to allow for easy, flexible installation — from nearly horizontal to nearly vertical — PRODIGY® constantly adjusts itself to the position of the tow vehicle. " The "constantly adjusts itself to the position of the tow vehicle" clause indicates to me they're using some kind of solid state accelerometer to constantly detect relative angle of the controller to "down" so this is known when the brakes are activated...and a logic circuit to differentiate between the force of gravity and force of deceleration after the brakes are activated. What kind of solid state accelerometer they're using is probably proprietary...but during my USAF career I learned that such solid state accelerometers are common in missle guidance systems. They're also not cheap (or didn't used to be anyway)...possibly one reason the Prodigy is substantially more expensive than the time-delay and common pendulum controllers on the market.

Bill
09-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Aha! That would explain why all of these controllers, pendulum or "guided missile / inertial", have to have a connection to the brake lights! I always wondered about that. When you are not braking, the circuit figures out where "DOWN" is, under the assumption that no braking is going on. It constantly updates the reading as the angle of the road changes. Then, when you apply the brakes, it freezes the current value of "DOWN", and applies the brakes in proportion to the change from DOWN.

Any controller that doesn't do this would be subject to the over-braking effect Ray describes. But with modern electronics, there should be no reason why a modern well-designed pendulum controller couldn't be grade-corrected as well as a "guided missile" controller.

Ten years ago, a "guided missile" sensor was wildly expensive, so "guided missile" controllers weren't built. On the other hand, pendulum sensors were quite cheap, so pendulum-based controllers could be built. However, the electronics needed by either controller to determine DOWN, and the difference from DOWN, were also wildly expensive in those early days, so although pendulum controllers were built, they didn't correct for grade. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that early pendulum controllers, uncorrected for grade, got a bad reputation in those early days. Today, they may, in fact, be grade-corrected, but the installers in the Rockies remember the old days.

Could be ...

Ignore my private comment, Ray.

Bill

mjlaupp
09-29-2003, 02:01 PM
I was simply pointing out that there is more than one good brake controller on the market.

I also know that Hayes Lemmerz manufactures a "cheap" controller that applies more pressure to the brakes the longer they are applied. This type of system, and there are many like it, would lead to brake lockup and burnout to anyone driving in the mountains.

The Hayes Energizer III controller manual states that there is no special compensation for downhill braking. They also state that a properly adjusted controller will not have problems with downhill grades. I find that this is indeed the case. I like the fact that there is a small incremental increase in trailer braking on a downhill grade. I have adjusted my controller to fit the TV/TM towing combination that I use. I would have to re-adjust it for a new combination of TV and trailer. Perhaps this is where the Prodigy's "automatic compensation" has the greatest advantage over the other controllers.

MJL :)

RockyMtnRay
09-29-2003, 02:36 PM
I also know that Hayes Lemmerz manufactures a "cheap" controller that applies more pressure to the brakes the longer they are applied. This type of system, and there are many like it, would lead to brake lockup and burnout to anyone driving in the mountains.

Yeah, these are the time-delay types. And if not adjusted properly, will certainly produce lockup...if not on the highway, then definitely at low speed in traffic. But, somewhat surprisingly, the shops that wouldn't sell me a pendulum type were selling these. And I knew there had to be a better way.

I have adjusted my controller to fit the TV/TM towing combination that I use.

I think this is critical. Looking at your TV/TM combo, I see you've got a relatively beefy TV for a 2720 sized trailer...your full sized pickup undoubtedly has much stronger/larger brakes than does a smaller SUV or minivan type TV. Those who have smaller TVs will most likely feel a need for more trailer braking than you so they adjust the gain on their controller to much higher settings...and if it's a pendulum type, will have it tilted to engage more quickly and strongly on level ground. And then when they get into a steep downhill situation, the pendulum is going to really turn on the trailer brakes.

mjlaupp
09-29-2003, 03:03 PM
This almost sounds like the "Ford vs Chevy" discussion. I conceed that the Prodigy is probably a better controller. I'm not convenced that I need one even when I tow my TM with my Isuzu Trooper II. If I find a problem with the Energizer III, I will consider purchasing a Prodigy.
MJL :)

BTW: Did you read the warning about mounting your cell phone within 12" of the Prodigy controller? Does the phone apply the brakes when it rings. ;)

dlajoie
09-29-2003, 05:54 PM
My TM dealer installed a brake controller with the trademark "Actuator" written on it. It has a little lever for adjusting between "min" and "max", a red light that illuminates when braking, and the big red button on the right for those emergency stops. The dealer explained the operation of all these features and they seem to work fine. We didn't get an operator's manual. Has anyone ever heard of "Actuator"? Who makes it? How does it compare to the vaunted Prodigy?

Bill
09-29-2003, 06:19 PM

Yeah, these are the time-delay types. And if not adjusted properly, will certainly produce lockup...if not on the highway, then definitely at low speed in traffic.Ray and Mike -

In my opinion, time-cycle controllers are DANGEROUS and should be outlawed. I owned one for a few days - I speak from experience.
The problem (again in my opinion) is not that they will eventually lock up - you can set the max braking power to prevent this. Rather, the problem is that they take no note of how hard you are braking. When they see the tow vehicle's brake lights come on, they gently begin to apply the trailer brakes. They gradually build up the braking force if you keep the brake pedal depressed longer, but think what that means in a panic stop situation. You need to stop NOW, but the trailer brakes are just loafing, and the trailer pushes the tow vehicle ahead, into harm's way. Just about the time you smash into the obstacle, the trailer brakes start to get serious. NO THANKS, NOT ON MY RIG!

Any proportional controller - either inertial or pedal-activated - reacts in proportion to how hard you are braking the TV. This is the only thing that makes sense.

Bill